Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #6 prospect?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Or in 2017 when Demko steals the #1 spot after Miller gets injured 1 game into the playoffs and ends up winning the Conn Smythe while leading us to our 1st cup. All while McCann spends his career in the AHL.

See, I can make baseless claims about the future too.

you missed the point entirely. when you find it, i'll continue

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Yes, but only because the Canucks haven't had an overly successful pick outside the first round in... a long time.

Or from the 1st round, for that matter.

For the record, Jensen would be borderline Top 10 for me. I think Jordan Subban has a reasonable good shot of having a bigger impact than Jensen.

im not sold on subban, but i definitely have corrado and hutton over jensen, along with almost every forward prospect we have not named archibald or grenier

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
We should really just have a "list your top 10 prospects" thread so everyone can embarrass themselves when every one of these kids busts...

Mine would probably look like this:

1. Horvat
2. Shinkaruk
3. Virtanen
4. McCann
5. Vey
6. Gaunce
7. Corrado
8. Subban
9. Hutton
10. Jensen

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
im not sold on subban, but i definitely have corrado and hutton over jensen, along with almost every forward prospect we have not named archibald or grenier

As you can see in my previous post, I still have Jensen over Cassels for the time being, but it was close for me.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
you missed the point entirely. when you find it, i'll continue

I was responding more to the second half of your post. The first half seems to be an attempt to compare Demko to the Schneider/Luongo situation for some reason. Though since I seem to have missed your point, perhaps you can spell it more clearly.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
As you can see in my previous post, I still have Jensen over Cassels for the time being, but it was close for me.

yeah. cassels is a hard one. i dont know how to internalize his success because, by the numbers he's a third rounder that did above average to good third rounder things, but i keep thinking i'd be hesitant or maybe slightly disappointed if he was a first rounder that turned into Cole Cassels Today. i guess i have jensen over him

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I was responding more to the second half of your post. The first half seems to be an attempt to compare Demko to the Schneider/Luongo situation for some reason. Though since I seem to have missed your point, perhaps you can spell it more clearly.

goalies rarely contribute before forwards. if mccann is a decent pick, and demko is a decent pick, theres a good chance mccann has three full contributing-on-a-good-salary years before demko is really in net enough to say "we got good value out of him". by that point he might even be past bridge contract and into "oh **** we need to sign this crawford/schneider/howard" before he tries to leave.

goalies just arent good assets. you get a few, obviously, because your farm team(s) need at least two and possibly four, but to put him ahead of guys that will concievably bust before demko even has a chance to make the league kind of puts him in the spare pile for me, which unfortunately isnt in a top 20 unless he has a spectacular year

edit: and developing your own goalies ****ing blows. oh hes a great ahl goalie but can we really trust him with 30 starts ugh lets sign an old man goalie to help him maybe or competition and oh no he had two bad games in a row what do we do with him now?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
note that i only even consider a guy like hutton this high because i really like his tools, and that he's big gives me confidence that even a neanderthal gm can evaluate him properly and give him time before he's 27

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
note that i only even consider a guy like hutton this high because i really like his tools, and that he's big gives me confidence that even a neanderthal gm can evaluate him properly and give him time before he's 27

The downside, is he could be Kevin Connauton 2.0. No clue if he will be able to defend competently at the next level. I really can't wait for Hutton to turn pro though. I think he should have this year personally. Leading all defensemen in college hockey in goal scoring as a sophmore is pretty damn good.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
I don't want to deprive you all of the few active threads during the off season, BUT, the easiest/least contreversial thing to do would be just rank them by draft order. To be revised only if the players have notably exceeded expectations. E.g., Corrado, and to lesser extent, thus far, Cassels.

Virtanen 6
Horvat 9
McCann 24
Shinkaruk 24
Vey 96
Gaunce 26
Jensen 29
Corrado 150
Demko 36
Fox FA
Cassels 85
McEneny FA

Vey is already penciled into the top 9, which is more than can be said for anybody else. I also don't think Virtanen is the best prospect but no point in downgrading him until his post draft play dictates that it be done. Seriously, what has Jensen done in 3 years to merit his lofty standing? Played OK at times, but very inconsistent and not notable overall.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The downside, is he could be Kevin Connauton 2.0. No clue if he will be able to defend competently at the next level. I really can't wait for Hutton to turn pro though. I think he should have this year personally. Leading all defensemen in college hockey in goal scoring as a sophmore is pretty damn good.

He skates better, has better puck skills, seems smarter. I'm a really quite high on him. Fingers crossed he comes here.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Okay, so you expect him to be a 40+ point producing offensive defenseman? Or a shut down defenseman in the Hamhuis mold? I don't see either. I see a real solid number 4 who does a little bit of everything. Hutton has more potential. He's bigger, better puck skills, more offensive upside and with similar defensive game.

Corrado has the best chance of reaching his potential than our other prospects

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I'm certainly optimistic about new prospects as well and was one of the people defending the McCann pick initially when the board was imploding because we didn't take the Russian.

And I'm not just saying that people are too optimistic. People are also too pessimistic or slow to adjust opinions upward when non-#1 picks excel - Tanev still continually being called a skinny #4-5 defender is a prime example when the guy has packed on about 20 pounds and is an above average #2-3 guy. Likewise Corrado and Lack are under-rated here.

Without that month-long blip in February, Jensen would be on the verge of being a total bust. So I am definitely factoring that into things when I'd have him as still our #7-8 or so prospect.

But no, I'm not much of a fan of his game. Don't like his compete level, don't think he adds anything to the table when he isn't scoring. And despite streaks of good offensive production, he hasn't sustained a high level of production across a full season at any level, ever. That makes me seriously question whether he's going to somehow find that consistency at the NHL level to score the 25+ goals he'll need to bank to outscore his defensive/grit issues.

Also, while his goal totals in his Sweden season were impressive, it's also a case of cherry-picking stats when people cite it as a historically great season. He only had 6 assists and 23 points, which is a lower total than, say, Anton Rodin scored in the same league in his draft+2 year with less icetime.

Right now Jensen is a late #1 pick in a bad draft who has had a slightly disappointing (although not terrible) progression since being drafted. There's no way I could rate him ahead of #1 picks in better drafts with fewer warts in Gaunce or McCann, or lower picks who have developed much better in Vey and Corrado.
Good post I agree 100% on your assessment of Jensen

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
1. Bo Horvat
2. Jake Virtanen
3. Hunter Shinkaruk
4. Nicklas Jensen
5. Brendan Gaunce
6. Jared McCann
7. Frank Corrado
8. Thatcher Demko
9. Ben Hutton
10. Dane Fox

I consider Vey to be a lock for the team.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Easy pick, Mccann.

Next pick is going to be tough since both Corrado and Vey are similar in that both are likely NHL ready. Difference is Corrado likely won't be playing in the NHL unless we have multiple injuries while Vey will likely be in the top 9.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
We should really just have a "list your top 10 prospects" thread so everyone can embarrass themselves when every one of these kids busts...
Once the poll is over, i think we should maybe do a summary thread where everyone can post their top10/20, whichever they choose, so there can be a comparison.

Last year, i think my 1-8 matched the boards completely, then it went off the rails from there.

This year, its completely fubar-ed after 3. As MS alluded to and as i mentioned in prior voting threads, there is no way to put it but to say Jensen had a disappointing season and continued his 4 year trend of completely inconsistent play. I swear it must be a mental issue, there is no other reason for it. I think one pre-draft scouting report said, if he can turn on his "on" button, he will be a steal. Unfortunately that hasn't happened and his consistency continues to waver like a kid playing with the light switch for the first time, on and off continuously.

I have Jensen out of my top 10. And before anyone throws the "Shiny new toy" argument out at me, that is not the issue. I have serious questions about Jensen and his disappointing season did nothing to shake those.

Last edited:

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Once the poll is over, i think we should maybe do a summary thread where everyone can post their top10/20, whichever they choose, so there can be a comparison.

Last year, i think my 1-8 matched the boards completely, then it went off the rails from there.

This year, its completely fubar-ed after 3. As MS alluded to and as i mentioned in prior voting threads, there is no way to put it but to say Jensen had a disappointing season and continued his 4 year trend of completely inconsistent play. I swear it must be a mental issue, there is no other reason for it. I think one pre-draft scouting report said, if he can turn on his "on" button, he will be a steal. Unfortunately that hasn't happened and his consistency continues to waver like a kid playing with the light switch for the first time, on and off continuously.

I have Jensen out of my top 10. And before anyone throws the "Shiny new toy" argument out at me, that is not the issue. I have serious questions about Jensen and his disappointing season did nothing to shake those.

It is true that Jensens seasons wasn't very good, but the most important part is how he played at the end. He started scoring in AHL and better yet played a handful of really nice NHL games. I'm surprised your so low on him. He isn't like some of the other prospects where we don't know at all how their game translates in the NHL. We have seen him play well and know it is possible.

No way is he out of my top 10. Based on physical traits and that he can play in the NHL he fell exactly where I had him ranked. I'm excited to see how many people he surprise over the next 2 years.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
I don't want to deprive you all of the few active threads during the off season, BUT, the easiest/least contreversial thing to do would be just rank them by draft order. To be revised only if the players have notably exceeded expectations. E.g., Corrado, and to lesser extent, thus far, Cassels.

Virtanen 6
Horvat 9
McCann 24
Shinkaruk 24
Vey 96
Gaunce 26
Jensen 29
Corrado 150
Demko 36
Fox FA
Cassels 85
McEneny FA

Vey is already penciled into the top 9, which is more than can be said for anybody else. I also don't think Virtanen is the best prospect but no point in downgrading him until his post draft play dictates that it be done. Seriously, what has Jensen done in 3 years to merit his lofty standing? Played OK at times, but very inconsistent and not notable overall.
Except that every draft has different talent. Though, you're right it is the least controversial.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

just wondering where u'd rank Hutton at this point, who's he most compared to and potential? Hutton or Corrado?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00