Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #6 prospect?

TheOtherGuy

Jul 14, 2014
If he never adds any offensive upside, Tanev's game will still lend itself to top four minutes because he's the perfect, absolutely perfect, defensive conscience for an offensive-minded partner.
I've learned not to doubt Tanev's progression or skill-set, and given that he seems to take a big step forward on an annual basis I'm eager to see what he does this year.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
There seems to be this weird perception that #1-3 defenders are 'big offense' guys and therefore big-offense/high risk junior players project as top-end defenders. Meanwhile mobile but conservative players project as '#4-5 defensive guys'.

In fact, when you look around the NHL, most #2-3 defenders are those Hamhuis/Paul Martin-type mobile/conservative/intelligent minute chewers.

This is partly why you have a massive portion of this fanbase still labeling Tanev as a #4-5 defender even after a year where he was excelling while playing #2-type minutes.

Some people still call Hjarmlsson a #5.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
OK, can somebody fill me in on Vey?

Several posters supporting him as a strong prospect - and fair warning, I have never seen him play...

Given that he turns 23 tomorrow, what differentiates him from - say - a 23 year old Jesse Schultz who scored 37 goals in the AHL, but never climbed the hill to the NHL?

S_C

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Tanev might be the best player on the team at making a good first pass. Nothing flashy, but effective.

Given what we've learned over the last five years, this is probably the most desirable quality in a defenceman. Tanev will never put up the points but he could very well be the best defenceman on the team this year.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

Several posters supporting him as a strong prospect - and fair warning, I have never seen him play...

Given that he turns 23 tomorrow, what differentiates him from - say - a 23 year old Jesse Schultz who scored 37 goals in the AHL, but never climbed the hill to the NHL?

S_C

I don't know where they're getting the idea he's a strong prospect. He's at the stage of his career where he's in a grey zone - on the doorstep to being an NHL player, but could also just fade away. Usually, it doesn't look good for a forward who has played three seasons in the AHL without locking down an NHL roster spot. The hope is that it was the Kings' forward depth that kept him in the AHL, not his lack of ability.

But he's a much better player than Jesse Schultz, who had one flukey season, and never really was much of a prospect.

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto

S_C

I believe the general thinking of those who have him ranked relatively high is that he looks to have earned a spot in the opening night lineup. How far he'll progress is to be seen, but that he's likely getting more than a cup of coffee in the NHL makes him a (relatively) successful prospect already. A lot of it comes down to your philosophy behind ranking prospects.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I don't know where they're getting the idea he's a strong prospect. He's at the stage of his career where he's in a grey zone - on the doorstep to being an NHL player, but could also just fade away. Usually, it doesn't look good for a forward who has played three seasons in the AHL without locking down an NHL roster spot. The hope is that it was the Kings' forward depth that kept him in the AHL, not his lack of ability.

But he's a much better player than Jesse Schultz, who had one flukey season, and never really was much of a prospect.

Kopitar
Handzus
Richardson
Lewis

Nolan
Weal
Shore

Pretty sure it was about the depth and not his ability.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Kopitar
Handzus
Richardson
Lewis

Nolan
Weal
Shore

Pretty sure it was about the depth and not his ability.

Handzus hasn't played for the Kings since 2010-11.

Shore is waivers exempt and will probably return to the AHL.

Weal is 170-something pounds and could do another year in the AHL (waivers exempt).

I'm guessing LA will keep 8 Dmen up so that only leaves one forward spot. I'm probably missing someone obvious but Adam Cracknell might have been his main competition since they just gave him a one way deal for similar money to Vey.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011

Weal is 170-something pounds and could do another year in the AHL (waivers exempt).

I'm guessing LA will keep 8 Dmen up so that only leaves one forward spot. I'm probably missing someone obvious but Adam Cracknell might have been his main competition since they just gave him a one way deal for similar money to Vey.

Mea culpa on Handzus.

Weal may be a call up, but agree he needs a little more AHL time. However, he needs top 6 time there too.

Even Vey has said he was frustrated because of the depth ahead of him at center. I'll defer to his expertise of the situation in regards to the depth that he was being blocked by.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
A handful of good games trump the 10 poor ones following? I was at one of the last games of the season and watched him specifically, he was so weak on the puck and gave the puck away quite a few times. So IMO, he didn't really end his season on a largely positive note.

Let's just blame Torts :nod:

Killed the buzz from his hot streak. Less compete when the veterans around you are doing the same? Not surprising.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Jensen, one year away from your bogeyman "grey zone" is ranked as our #4 prospect.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011

It also excludes Richards and Stoll and Toffoli. Really weird list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad