Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #11 prospect?

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
First really tough vote for me (although I spent a lot of time voting Hutton while other tough choices were made). I feel like next summer Fox is either going to be a Top 5 prospect or a target of the bust brigade. His upside easily overcomes the risk at this point though.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
First really tough vote for me (although I spent a lot of time voting Hutton while other tough choices were made). I feel like next summer Fox is either going to be a Top 5 prospect or a target of the bust brigade. His upside easily overcomes the risk at this point though.

I have found everything past 6 or 7 as way up in the air. Voted Kenins but Fox Cassels Tryamkin and Subban are all pretty close right now. Eriksson up there too.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
I hate picking goalies because they are just so bloody boring but I'm going with Eriksson on this one. He should at least be a quality NHL backup one day.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Fox then J Eriksson for me.

Dane Fox has tools too hard to ignore. Hell, that gaudy 64 goals is reason enough.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I hate picking goalies because they are just so bloody boring but I'm going with Eriksson on this one. He should at least be a quality NHL backup one day.

:laugh: That was pretty much my reasoning too. I wanted to go Subban because he's so flashy, but Jokey is already a good pro goalie, and should probably already be on this list.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Tough call between Fox and Cassels for me. I like the trajectory Cassels is on and he has the youth factor in his favour. But Fox's production last year is pretty undeniable, even as an old hand in the CHL.

And the beauty of Fox is that he can clearly put the puck in the net, but he's also got the potential to be a great fit as that "4th line agitator" type. Ie. He doesn't necessarily have to make it as a top-9 NHLer to provide great value, as he could continue to develop into the sort of 4th liner you really want there.

That gave him the edge for me.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I don't vote for goalies - Fox.

One of the more troubling names for me is Zalewski. I know next to nothing besides his decent two games in the NHL. Where am I supposed to vote him in. :l.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Fun fact: In the last decade, the only player to score more goals in a season in the OHL than Dane Fox is John Tavarres.

(Although Tavarres scored 8 more goals, was younger, and probably played less games, but facts can't ruin the hype train.)

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Fox.
Fox won the goal scoring race by a significant amount. I know he played on a strong team and was an overrager but I don't think you can ignore the gap between him and the other snipers in the league. He's also got decent size and played in key defensive situations until they picked up Gaunce. Seems like he has a decent chance to play in the NHL. I love Cassels improvement as well, so he's next.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Tough call between Fox and Cassels for me. I like the trajectory Cassels is on and he has the youth factor in his favour. But Fox's production last year is pretty undeniable, even as an old hand in the CHL.

And the beauty of Fox is that he can clearly put the puck in the net, but he's also got the potential to be a great fit as that "4th line agitator" type. Ie. He doesn't necessarily have to make it as a top-9 NHLer to provide great value, as he could continue to develop into the sort of 4th liner you really want there.

Good choice IMO. Fox has one outstanding skill, and also has very good grit, decent size, decent defense, needs to become more fit, and needs lots of work on his choppy skating stride. Positives and negatives. But the runaway OHL goal-scoring crown wasn't from smoke and mirrors. Fox's shooting and scoring are pretty rare talents, and at this *very late* point in the prospect rankings it's LOL-worthy to discount their great potential value to our goal-starved organization. For those who put down his scoring feats to playing against kids, it may come as news that Fox is only 5 months older than Gaunce, which is less than the age difference between Shinkaruk and Horvat, who were drafted together without notable comment about their age difference.

This isn't the top-10 or anything. For a guy with Fox's attributes who's just about to turn pro and either sink or swim,
there's risk to be sure--yes he could bust--but he could also fill the net while providing toughness. What's not to like about him, this far down in the ratings?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I gotta go with Cassels. Fox's numbers are other worldly, but Im going to wait and see how he does in a professional league before I make a more concrete judgement on what kind of prospect he is.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Believe it or not, the bolded could be applied to Cassels as well. He has a agitator/pest side to him as well.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Waiting for the Utica fans to explain how good Eriksson was last season.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Waiting for the Utica fans to explain how good Eriksson was last season.

Didn't watch them myself but I remember a couple of the Utica guys were saying he was pretty much the only reason the Comets managed to stay in half their games last year. Impressive stats for 1st year on NA ice.

Went with Eriksson but really I could see Fox, Subban or Cassels here as well.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Tryamkin is the most unique prospect left and has huge potential!! Literally!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad