Who is Blake's replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Now that Blake is all but for sure gone for the World Cup, which is a big blow, who do you think replaces him? In Canada we have such a deep pool of talent. No one out there that we can add is as good as Blake though.

I'm wary of Quinn convincing everyone to put McCabe in there because he's a Leaf. McCabe is too clumsy out there I think and accident prone. Look at how he made Primeau look like Mario Lemieux in this years playoffs. On our defence you've got Pronger, Jovanovski, Niedermayer, Foote, Regehr, Brewer, Redden.

Foote and Regehr are the solid stay at home types. Niedermayer and Brewer can rush the puck up the best. Redden's just a textbook defender as is Jovo. And Pronger is the best d-man in the NHL. So we really dont have any holes anywhere on our defence even with Blake gone. SO in my opinion I think we should insert Bouwmeester into the line up. He's only a two year player but after being on two gold medal Wordl Championship teams and three World Junior Championships I think he's for sure ready. He wont log that much ice time but I think he's the perfect defender for an eighth man. Sometimes I dont think J-Bo realizes he can go through the whole team.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Bouwmeester is my pick for Blake's replacement. He is at a world class speed , he's big and sees the ice very well... he probbaly will sit out most of the games and at age 20 it will be excellent experience for him to be in a tournament like this and maybe get a game in at some point.

He's canadas future on the blueline .. other countries play their future we should play ours.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I would also want J-Bo to be the next in line for a spot on the Canada blueline.

I think his combination of size, speed, puck handling, and strength is something that none of the candidates can offer as well as he does, and frankly, he's unlikely to get huge minutes in the tournament (if he even dresses anyhow), so why not bring a youngster to get a little familiar with playing for Canada at a professional level? It may help calm his nerves inthe future when playing for Canada's Olympic team (if pros are permitted in 2006 and beyond).

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Sportsnet news said their sources indicate that it will be Scott Hannan added to the team.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I too wish that it would be J-Bo. We have a very strong defense already. Bringing in J-Bo will boost his confidence and help our future.

Last edited:

Burnaby_Joe*

If he's healthy, I'd like to see Scott Stevens get one more crack at a championship.

Killer 93

Big Phil said:
I'm wary of Quinn convincing everyone to put McCabe in there because he's a Leaf.

Or, you could think sensibly and come to the conclusion that his +22, 50 plus point season might have something to do with Bryan being considered, and not the sweater he wears. Is that too much to ask?

Verbal Kint*

Killer 93 said:
Or, you could think sensibly and come to the conclusion that his +22, 50 plus point season might have something to do with Bryan being considered, and not the sweater he wears. Is that too much to ask?
:handclap:

Really it comes down to does Canada want to replace Blake with a similar player where McCabe fits right into the mold, or a shut down guy which would be Hannan, or a young gun/speedster where you go with Boumeester. As a Leafs fan I've got to hope for McCabe as I believed he deserved a spot on the roster over Brewer.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Adrian Aucoin is easily better than probably half the guys who were named to the roster in the first place (Brewer, Jovo, Regehr) and if they take a guy like Hannan or Bouwmeester over him it would be a joke.

The lack of respect Aucoin gets is astonishing. He's in the top 2 or 3 guys in the league in icetime every year (and not by default because NYI has maybe the best top-4 in the league), he has arguably the best PP point shot in the league, is an absolute rock on the blueline, and has a ton of international experience to boot. Personally, I think he's Canada's best all-around defender outside of Pronger, and I don't say that lightly.

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
Aucoin doesn't get nearly the respect he deserves -- no doubt about that, but better than Jovanovski and Regehr? Uh, no. I'll agree with you on Brewer though, Aucoin is easily the better defenceman and can rack up minutes like few in the league. The biggest reason I see for Aucoin being overlooked is that he doesn't have a meanstreak like the other's and isn't as physical. Guys like Pronger, Regehr, Foote, Jovo, Redden all like to hurt people with regularity -- all are in another level compared with Aucoin in that regard. I think Blake's point shot will be missed, which is one good reason why Aucoin should be considered -- but McCabe, too, has a nice point shot so that race could be neck and neck at the moment, assuming there even is a race.

Hannan is at the same level as Foote and Regehr as a shutdown man, I don't know how many of them we need but I'd rather have too many than not enough -- especially with the star power out there. Another problem is that we don't have many right-handed shots on the blueline, Foote is the only one in the current group, Aucoin could add another right-handed shot.

I don't think Bouwmeester is ready. I would add Hannan and Aucoin and move Brewer to the reserve. We need a right-handed cannon of a shot (ala Blake) more than we need a guy who is pretty much redundant on this team (Brewer).

19Yzerman19

Jul 17, 2004
I think if you go by all around play the last couple of seasons then it should be:

Adrian Aucoin but I doubt he'll get the call. :shakehead

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
any of mccabe, hannan, or j-bo are acceptable, as the only role they will have is keeping pat quinns cigar lit in the press box

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
It would appear, according to TSN.ca that Scott Hannan will be replacing Blake.

If Hannan is getting the nod, I wonder if Willie Mitchell was at all close to the selection. They're similar style of defencemen and both have shown to be quality big game performers. Just sort of my own musing.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
This is where canada has such a luxury over other countires they lose a superstar and they still have 10 other guys great players eager and able to jump in, there's so many possibilities, Bouwmeester, Souray, Acouin, Morris, McCabe, Hannan, even if healthy Macinnis or Stevens but i dought that will happen with there age and all.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
How about a little class from Canadian Fans?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=92562&hubName=nhl

scroll down

I know you want to see players from your team playing in the tournament, I do to but you dont need diss on Hannan like he is nothing.

He deserves being on this team without the blake injury just like Reghir w/ their great playoff preformances

Calling him mr clutch and grab

Lets go and ask the best player in the world in Peter Forsberg if Hannan is deserving?

Foppa is still having nightmares

Last edited:

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Does anyone else want Stuart to replace Blake? I think that he is the most like Blake (a great combination of speed, skill, and toughness), I also think that this level of play would really bring out the best in him.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Chelios said:
Does anyone else want Stuart to replace Blake? I think that he is the most like Blake (a great combination of speed, skill, and toughness), I also think that this level of play would really bring out the best in him.

I love Stuart especially being a Shark fan but you would not be getting the sure thing that you would in Hannan.

Sure, Stuart could rise up to the occation and be the best defensman in the whole tournament but you dont know that for sure.

If you like taking gambels then Stuart is your man because they could really hit it big with him but you already know that in Hannan you are getting a big, strong, gritty, fast d-man who will shutdown anyone he is put up against.

He could be used as averry effective tool to shut down other teams top forward and on the penalty kill to take the pressure off others.

Canada can desagnate Hannan and Regehr as penalty killers to keep the other guys fresh

Great move by Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad