Who Is Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylaf66

Jun 16, 2005
I don't know who is going to be a better defenseman, Luc Bourdon or Ryan Parent. Parent apparently played with an injured hand all year which makes me wonder if that was the real him playing this year. I also wonder who has the greater offensive upside as they are both solid defenders.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
kylaf66 said:
I don't know who is going to be a better defenseman, Luc Bourdon or Ryan Parent. Parent apparently played with an injured hand all year which makes me wonder if that was the real him playing this year. I also wonder who has the greater offensive upside as they are both solid defenders.

Luc Bourdon is a smoother player but makes a few more mistakes than Parent. I think Parent even though he will probably go in the first rounf of the draft, whenever it happens is highly underrated. Not to say Bourdon is over rated but Parent didn't get Bourdon type ice-time in his first year in the OHL because he was playing with a memorial cup contender in Guelph this year he battled through injuries and still showed his great talents. His game is mature and he seems to be complete on draft day it wouldn't surprise me to see a team take a dive and trade up to get him in the top 12. I think Bourdon will slip but maybe not out of the top 10

To answer your question i'd pick Parent.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
When I watch Bourdon the word erratic comes to mind. He has good offensive abilities and good skating, but he is nowhere near as positionally or defensively sound as Parent, and comes with a certain amount of unreliablity. Parent is also a very good skater because of his excellent lateral movement, mobility, pivoting etc, and he aleady uses his body very effectively. His offensive upside might not be as high as Bourdon's, but Bourdon will probably never be as good defensively as Parent. For me, the slight difference in upside isn't enough to justify the substantial difference in risk. I'll take Parent.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
kylaf66 said:

Parent is more of a safe bet, a very safe bet that he will play in the NHL. Bourdon is a safe pick as well, but he's more of a risk as far as bust potential goes.

my 2 cents

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I would pick Bourdon ahead of Parent. I don't know if that's the same as saying he's better, or that he will be better. Bourdon just has a bit more zing to his game, in just about all areas: he tries things on offense, he tries to make some hits sometimes in his own zone. Because of that, yes, he gets burned more often. He also gets more points. But I think he's smart enough that he could play just as effectively as Parent, if you chained him down a bit. Bottom line, he has more pizzazz, more upside. So I would gamble on that. But I really don't know if NHL scouts would go that way. I sort of feel like they wouldn't, but I guess it only takes one rebel to make the draft order land in Bourdon's favour. Anyway, I wouldn't cry very long or hard if I got either player in the draft for an NHL team. I'd be a bit happier to get Bourdon for a fantasy league team, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad