Who is better?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think many of you guys have seen Subban play enough this year. He brings pretty much the same things that Letang brings to the table except that he also has an incredible shot, especially on the powerplay. He's quickly becoming one of the absolute best defensemen in the league. He'll probably win the Norris this year, too.

Great player, but I don't want some of the bonehead plays he makes. That's why I'd take Letang right now. But Karlsson overall at his peak of his defensive play. I think it's the best combo of both.

Still.. odd question on the Pens board. Obviously we will be biased one way.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Just curious, does Karlsson even play on the PK for Ottawa? I watched some of their games against the Rangers in the first round last year and I don't recall seeing him out there in those situations.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
It's hard because it depends on what you value the most. I'd say Subban is the best defensively, Karlsson is the best offensively, and Letang is second is both categories.

Letang may not be better than the others in an individual category, but it's the fact that he combines both that makes him valuable.

Also when Subban wasn't playing because of his contract negotiations, Montreal was still winning games. Ottawa is somehow (not as much lately, but more so earlier in the season) remaining competitive without Karlsson. The Penguins looked absolutely horrible without Letang. It was like a tale of two teams between last night and the previous 4.

He did miss time but despite he missed time he lead his team in points and second in goals! that's crazy

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
This is mostly true. However, we still only lost 2 of the 9 games Letang missed.

I know. But I just referenced the one's that we were without Sid as well, because Sid's play can make up for deficiencies elsewhere. We managed to pull out wins, but there's no denying the team looked very different without him.

He did miss time but despite he missed time he lead his team in points and second in goals! that's crazy

I know. I find that to be incredibly impressive. There's no denying that all three are incredibly talented. I think they're all in the top 10 defencemen in the league.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Karlsson, Letang, Subban

Karlsson's unquestionably the smartest, most creative and best skater of the bunch, but the weakest defensive player by a little bit (which isn't to say he's like Mike Green was 5 years ago). Still, what he does better than them exceeds what they do better than him.

Letang's skill level is similar to Karlsson's, he's much, much stronger with a bit better of a two way game, but his skating's not quite as amazing, his release is nowhere near as deceptive and his creativity isn't even in the same universe.

Subban's a physical, solid two-way player with a bomb of a shot. But his skill level is lower than the other two and he flushes shifts down the toilet for no apparent reason, which the other two do not.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Just curious, does Karlsson even play on the PK for Ottawa? I watched some of their games against the Rangers in the first round last year and I don't recall seeing him out there in those situations.

I've definitely seen him out there, though I don't think he's the go-to guy.

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario

Karlsson didn't kill a lot of penalties last year but he was this year before his injury.

nTsplnk*

Last stat I saw said Karlsson had about 2 minutes of SHTOI per game. Subban had 30 seconds less than that.

Essentially insignificant difference.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
I was never a real big Letang fan but the guy is a difference maker,he's weaker than Karlson on the offence side but way more physical.Suban is just a jag off...lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad