Player Discussion Who is better Fast or Hagelin?

Who is better Fast or Hagelin?

• Fast

Votes: 29 65.9%
  • Hagelin

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know they're different players but I guess I always compared the two since they're both later pick Swedes that became great role players for the Rangers (and Penguins for Hags). What are your guys' thoughts who is better?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Loved Hags when he was with the team

But as of this moment I take Fast.

Hags is an overpaid bottom 6 player who hasn't produced much since he left (aside from the Pens first stanley cup run)

member 116805

I'd take Fast every time. Hags, as much as I liked him, was a one trick pony compare to Fast who is a very well rounded player

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Fast. He puts it all out there Everytime. He doesn't take shifts off and he uses his awareness to position himself so he doesn't have to be the fastest. Always finishes his checks and battles hard. Hags was great while he was here but quickie is the guy.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Hags in his prime was such a disruptive threat and a huge forechecker so he gets the edge for his prime.

If you mean who is playing better today it is Fast.

Reactions: Ori and eco's bones

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Fast is under the radar important to this team. More so than Hagelin was. But, yeah, Grabner's last two years are pretty impressive too.

As under the radar as Fast is, Hagelin was more so. Losing him was a HUGE blow to the team that most of the fanbase didn't see coming.

Reactions: All Might

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hags. He was sorely missed when he left.

Right now it's Fast since Hags is having a shocker season.

Reactions: Ori

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Imagine having Grabner, Fast and Hags (not at current cap hit) on the same team in your bottom 6.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
giphy.gif

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
During his time in NYC, I was a huge Hags fan. I was sad to see him go.

But, if it came down to the two, IMO Fast was/is more well-rounded.

Still surprised that Vegas went Lindberg over Grabner and Fast.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
During his time in NYC, I was a huge Hags fan. I was sad to see him go.

But, if it came down to the two, IMO Fast was/is more well-rounded.

Still surprised that Vegas went Lindberg over Grabner and Fast.

Lindberg over Grabner makes sense because he is cost-controlled.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hags at his peak was a more dangerous player.

But Hags also seems like the kind of guy who needs to be in the right role, on the right team, in the right system.

He looked lost in Anaheim, played the hockey of his life during the Pens cup run, and has since looked increasingly lost with time.

IMO, Fast seems like the type who is more adaptable though. I can see him more easily sliding into different systems and different teams.

But I think it's important to note that Hags wasn't traded because the team didn't want him (same with Stepan). He was traded for financial reasons.

Having said all of that, Grabner is a superior version of Hags (though similar in the sense that his success is also driven by right team, right role, right system).

In my mind Grabs is much older, for reasons I don't quite understand. But the reality is that he's all of 10 months older than Hags.

Reactions: Inferno

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It was just a few years ago that Hags was huge in the Penguins cup run. He has not been as good since then but he was a major factor in those playoffs. As a Ranger Hags was also a lock for around 16-18 goals a year.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Fast's hockey IQ and feel for the game is superior. Always has been. Go back and look at their younger seasons and if you were to watch them play, you would see Fast has a better feel for the game. Hagelin is just an energizer bunny on speed which makes him a very effective player in his own right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad