Who is better defensively?

Who is better defensively?

• Total voters

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
This argument isnt relevant at all to the question. The question isnt; Is Jensen better than Carlson? It's; Is Jensen better DEFENSIVELY than Carlson? So many people here are just missing the point, Carlson is a better player but Jensen is better defensively than him.

If people were capable of acknowledging and not missing the point, that ridiculous main board thread started by the Rooster would have ended at 1 or 2 pages. Because essentially the thread was saying that Carlson is NOT an elite D. But 27 or however many pages
later people are still arguing that because Carlson has 40+ points in 30 games he MUST be an elite D. I mean, is it that difficult for people to understand the difference? Seems like it is.
Every good team needs a puck moving D who can put up good offensive numbers, and who doesn't necessarily have to be 'all that good' defensively, so long as his defensive partner is.
The Norris trophy is poorly named. It really is an award given to a PMD who has the most - or close to the most - points in the regular season. Carlson is a shoe-in for that award as things currently stand.
For quite a few years I've felt they need to add a trophy for "best defensive D" or something that is worded better but means the same thing. Exactly how they determine who wins this would likely require some of the advanced stats you guys love so much.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Jensen offers zero consistency. His game is still unchanged from his rookie year. This question must be a joke. Even most of Hershey's defenders are better than Jensen. The fact that he's still a regular is mindboggling. He won't ever work out as an NHL defenseman. Move him to the wing or waive the guy. It's long overdue.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I still have hope that Jensen's game will shape up. Like Steve Spurrier said "knot vary goud"

Hate to destroy your hope but the guy is 29 and hasn't improved the slightest bit since entering the league with big expectations as a very popular college FA. There's nothing he improved ever since. Nothing.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Jensen has been fine of late. He has been moved back up to Orlov and last game when Orlov was moved up to replace Kempny with Carlson, Jensen and Siegenthaler got the 2nd pair mins. I think Reirden is happier with Jensen.
He stunk in the Colombus game but I guess so did everyone else. His play just seemed a degree worse than everyone on the blue line and the 2nd goal was directly due to him running around his own end after he could've gotten it out, being out muscled, turning it over and then it's in the net. All of those things he does regularly.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
This argument isnt relevant at all to the question. The question isnt; Is Jensen better than Carlson? It's; Is Jensen better DEFENSIVELY than Carlson? So many people here are just missing the point, Carlson is a better player but Jensen is better defensively than him.
Except he isn't.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He stunk in the Colombus game but I guess so did everyone else. His play just seemed a degree worse than everyone on the blue line and the 2nd goal was directly due to him running around his own end after he could've gotten it out, being out muscled, turning it over and then it's in the net. All of those things he does regularly.

We have reached that point with Jensen where some have made up their minds and what they see with their eyes can only support that decision. We have seen this before with some players that were done and some players that left on a hall of fame career. I am still fairly neutral on the guy. I just think the Caps roster structure relies heavily on Jensen being able to carry that role with Orlov. Orlov was really after it offensively last night and that can only happen when the coaching staff is confident in his partner.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Have you lost your mind? There is no way that Jensen is better at defending than Carlson. Its not close. That's like saying that...….its like saying that Kuznetsov is terrible or something. Its not based in reality

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
Have you lost your mind? There is no way that Jensen is better at defending than Carlson. Its not close. That's like saying that...….its like saying that Kuznetsov is terrible or something. Its not based in reality

Tex, youre going to have(!) to produce a stat(and it needs a cool acronym!), or a pretty-colored flowchart to support your position... sir.
(seriously, I'm just kidding)

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
So much better after availing myself of a certain forum option. ;)

Carlson is better defensively. Period.

Carlson is also being asked to do more offensively so his defensive fancy stats may suffer a bit.

Sure hasn't hurt the Caps as they are on a 127 point pace.

The coaching staff clearly know what they are doing.

It is also clear that some hockey so-called "experts" don't know what they are talking about.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
We have reached that point with Jensen where some have made up their minds and what they see with their eyes can only support that decision. We have seen this before with some players that were done and some players that left on a hall of fame career. I am still fairly neutral on the guy. I just think the Caps roster structure relies heavily on Jensen being able to carry that role with Orlov. Orlov was really after it offensively last night and that can only happen when the coaching staff is confident in his partner.
I actually loved Jensen when the Caps picked him up last year and he immediately stood out with his speed and decision making, then something happened. He seems indecisive often times even with minimal pressure and what should be an easy out becomes a tipped puck that restarts the forecheck. It's a generality but I see it a lot from him, but you're right with the Orlov point.

Ultimately I haven't lost faith in him and he's not a bad player whatsoever, but he's not a better defenseman in either end than Carlson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad