TV: Who Is America? (Showtime) - Sacha Baron Cohen

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Do you even know what antifa is?
Yes. And if you google it, you'll see that the left has taken some flak for not being critical enough of them.

Sure, claiming Democrats support antifa violence is creating a caricature of the democratic party. Similar to arming kindergarteners with rocket launchers as a caricature of the republican party.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yes. And if you google it, you'll see that the left has taken some flak for not being critical enough of them.

Sure, claiming Democrats support antifa violence is creating a caricature of the democratic party. Similar to arming kindergarteners with rocket launchers as a caricature of the republican party.
So that is a no.

It literally means anti fascist and compared to who they run up against, there isn't much to have a problem with. There is also black bloc which are the people who wear the black clothing and are typically at the forefront when it comes to violent confrontation with those who they oppose. But people tend to conflate the two.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
It was referring to Amerika's notion that it's harder to feel good about ridiculing the more well-meaning and acceptance-driven absurdity of the left. I'm pointing out that even though the ideas themselves (such as transgender pro-nouns and identity-types being taken to absurd extremes) may be well intentioned, the attitudes that they create when being argued and defended can often become just as despicable, mean-spirited, authoritarian, and toxic as outright bigotry, and plenty worthy of ridicule.

If you're saying "Sounds like you're describing the right!", I'm agreeing with that. I'm saying that there do exist some areas where the absurdity of the left is capable of competing with and matching the absurdity of the right (because ArtOfSedinery implied that there wasn't). Even though the right are significantly bigger offenders (where the more absurd notions are often the dominant mainstream ones, as evidenced by who's in office).

Your bolded statement is pretty much the exact reason why the right is more often the target than the left. Sure, it's possible to find people on the left with absurd views. But they are not a)a significant portion of their party, b) they are certainly not mainstream ideas within their party, and c) they are not the party in power.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Your bolded statement is pretty much the exact reason why the right is more often the target than the left. Sure, it's possible to find people on the left with absurd views. But they are not a)a significant portion of their party, b) they are certainly not mainstream ideas within their party, and c) they are not the party in power.
I'm not making a larger point against the show or agreeing with the posters who are. I'm merely answering your query:
What are the beliefs the left holds that could be equivalent to the gun rights and the fear or Muslims that has been exposed already? I'm open to it if it existed, I just don't see where it does.
It does exist, and that's one example I can think of.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It was referring to Amerika's notion that it's harder to feel good about ridiculing the more well-meaning and acceptance-driven absurdity of the left. I'm pointing out that even though the ideas themselves (such as transgender pro-nouns and identity-types being taken to absurd extremes) may be well intentioned, the attitudes that they create when being argued and defended can often become just as despicable, mean-spirited, authoritarian, and toxic as outright bigotry, and plenty worthy of ridicule.

If you're saying "Sounds like you're describing the right!", I'm agreeing with that. I'm saying that there do exist some areas where the absurdity of the left is capable of competing with and matching the absurdity of the right (because ArtOfSedinery implied that there wasn't). Even though the right are significantly bigger offenders (where the more absurd notions are often the dominant mainstream ones, as evidenced by who's in office).

That's the key. And if I'm reading the post of yours that I responded to correctly, that's also clearly why the right bears the brunt of the mockery. It's not about what's "fresh", it's about what's "worthy of scorn".

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm not making a larger point against the show or agreeing with the posters who are. I'm merely answering your query:

It does exist, and that's one example I can think of.
What are these aspects of inclusion do you even find absurd? The use of xe and ze?

The issue I have is most people consider these things absurd because these ideas were never in the mainstream and such a deviation from the norm appears silly. And most people really don't know enough about the issue to have an informed opinion. That doesn't make it absurd.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's the key. And if I'm reading the post of yours that I responded to correctly, that's also clearly why the right bears the brunt of the mockery. It's not about what's "fresh", it's about what's "worthy of scorn".
I never really implied otherwise. I think both are worthy of scorn, but the right, significantly more-so.

Don't mistake my standalone point about correcting a false assumption that it doesn't exist on one side with a larger overall point about it not being disproportionately one-sided.

Whether or not it's fresh is a separate consideration about what could also be constructive.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What are these aspects of inclusion do you even find absurd? The use of xe and ze?

The issue I have is most people consider these things absurd because these ideas were never in the mainstream and such a deviation from the norm appears silly. And most people really don't know enough about the issue to have an informed opinion. That doesn't make it absurd.
That's a whole can of worms that might be best reserved for the politics board. I'm really not the type to reject something because it's abnormal, though. I have doubts about the logic and validity behind the whole thing (though I don't have the same skepticism about transexuality). It gets particularly absurd when you get into all the different slippery-slope sub-groups, especially the non-gender/non-human-identifying ones. While there aren't large groups of people who fall under those, a shocking amount of people seem receptive to the idea of them, I find.

It could possibly still just be ignorance on my part, I guess, but it isn't entirely thoughtless and definitely isn't driven by some instinctive bias against something like discomfort or change.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Do you know of any elected democrats that support "Antifa violence"? Do you know of any elected Democrats that support an absurd position on abortion? You're going to have to be more specific.

If you read my posts in this thread you will see my position (as I feel I must preface what follows). A "pro-Life" person would likely say that aborting a months old fetus is absurd.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Good third episode. Not the same "gotcha" moments as episode 1 and 2. Roy Moore picked up on the gag fairly quickly and stormed out. The two trumper idiots trying to entrap illegal Mexicans were awkwardly hilarious, but not really suprising there are regular citizens out there holding such views. The two segments where Cohen played the liberal character, he was the butt of the joke. Wonder if that is "both sides" enough for a few people here.

The rap battle at the end was just hilarious, and didn't even need to be at anyone's expense too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad