Who hated the sutter hiring?

RonSwanson*

My location is from the day after Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve (Sundays excluded)...but we had spots that were from the week before to Christmas Eve... Then...there's Albertson's with the 8 working days before Christmas...

Ah, so you made the prediction two kettle seasons ago, and then the guy came back this past kettle season and paid up? That makes more sense.

RonSwanson*

I didn't know enough about him to have an opinion either way...but I do remember reading several quotes from his ex-players and they all had great things to say about him. So, just by that, I felt somewhat optimistic.

I was sure about one thing though, I knew the Kings would never win a SC while Terry Murray was still at the helm. I was right about that...

You were also sure that they'd never win with Sutter last season also. Don't make me pull up that thread again.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I was hoping Sutter would come in and just rip the players a new one at the time. He could've quit after the first practice if he did that.

That Sutter would've been fine by me. Turns out Sutter was a much better overall coach than just a dictatorial one.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I remember most of the Kings fans here not liking the signing. I knew nothing about him until I read some comments from Calgary fans. I'm glad it worked out!

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I remember really being pissed the day of the hiring but boy was I wrong. Now having him around for a bit I am liking him more and more, I like the way he handles interviews

I didn't hate it, but I was opposed to it if I had to pick a side. IIRC, my initial response was that I was against it, but I'd also give it time because I seen Sutter as being equal to Terry Murray in terms of coaching skill, however he would hold his players accountable, which at the time was Murray's biggest flaw according to many, especially here on this board.

I've come to realize that while Sutter does demand accountability, he also demands a forecheck, unlike Murray, who preferred to play possum far to much, focusing on protecting our ass at all costs, including forcing shots from the perimeter all the time. Sutter focuses on D as well, but is willing to open things up by demanding physical play and drive to the net, which, when done smartly, still ensures defensive responsibility but also generates great offensive turn around.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I was very skeptical of him.

Darryl has a reputation of being "old school", but actually the opposite is true, he's somewhat progressive; supports visors, likes to roll 4 lines, doesn't like enforcers ect.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I was all for it, despite some of my friends and most posters being vehemently against the hiring, thinking they hired another old dinosaur like Terry Murray. As soon as I read that Sutter will tear apart the "country club" setting the team had, I was smiling ear to ear.

I believe it was Denis Gautheir who tweeted about that. The former King played for Sutter when he was with the Flames.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Initially, I was not happy. We were handing over the keys to this sports car to a wiley old vet who had been virtually retired for a handful of years. But the more I rationally thought about it, it probably wasn't the best of ideas to put a young up and coming coach with no HC experience in the driver's seat of a win now team (which were the only real other options at the time). Begrudgingly, I became just okay with it. Then the massive support from Flames fans became too much to ignore and I started becoming optimistic. Seven months later, I'm giving the guy a standing ovation while he fist pumps a few times during the Cup Rally. What a turn of events.

RonSwanson*

Initially, I was not happy. We were handing over the keys to this sports car to a wiley old vet who had been virtually retired for a handful of years. But the more I rationally thought about it, it probably wasn't the best of ideas to put a young up and coming coach with no HC experience in the driver's seat of a win now team (which were the only real other options at the time). Begrudgingly, I became just okay with it. Then the massive support from Flames fans became too much to ignore and I started becoming optimistic. Seven months later, I'm giving the guy a standing ovation while he fist pumps a few times during the Cup Rally. What a turn of events.

1705009_confused_man_web.jpg

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
You were also sure that they'd never win with Sutter last season also. Don't make me pull up that thread again.

That had nothing to do with Sutter, more of the hole they put themselves in....but go ahead, keep pretending I'm the ONLY fan who felt that way.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I was fine with the Sutter hiring. Terry Murray provided an invaluable service to the Kings in teaching the defensive side of the game to the young guys, but it was obvious that the players were not being held personally responsible for their own performance. Sutter changed that immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad