Who hated the sutter hiring?

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
i was skeptical...wasnt sure if his coaching style was what this team needed so i wouldnt say i hated it but i wasnt convinced.

Sometimes being wrong is an great thing

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
I wasn't against it, but I really wasn't for it. I just told myself to give him a chance before I judge.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I didn't care at the time, just wanted Murray gone. I didn't have a list of candidates with which to consult Lombardi at the time, so I'm glad he preceded without my input.

KingKopitar11*

I thought it was terrible at the time from what people were saying about him.

Dave33

Jul 8, 2005
I was so pissed, I went off on Leiweke via email. Never been happier to wrong.

I spent a lot of time looking at offensive and defensive rankings in relation to Cup winners during Terry Murray's era. It became apparent that no team had won a Cup since the 2004 lockout without having a top 10 offense. When I looked at Darryl's track record in that regard, it wasn't very impressive. Long story short, I thought it was a horrible decision based on that logic alone. I thought there was no way he was going to improve the offense. He did improve the offense and even though the Kings finished 29th in the League in GF last year, they started scoring at a much higher rate almost immediately after he was hired. I believe they were one of the top scoring teams in the league after his hire. As they stand from a few days ago when I looked, the Kings were in the top 10 in GF this season.

I couldn't have been more wrong about him and I've actually told some of my friends on numerous occasions that he is the best coach the Kings have ever had. He is hilarious with the media and the perma-snarl on his face is priceless. He makes DL seem like even more of a genius. He really is in touch with the players on the team and seems to be able to get the most out of them.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
We need an accountability thread where we can find out if we were right or wrong on all King transactions. IIRC, I liked the Sutter hiring just because he's known as a hard ass and it's way too easy to play hockey in LA. The players literally receive no pressure from the fans and there is no media so you need a dictator as a coach who can remind them they need to play hard and train hard when they aren't playing hard. That whole come to LA to surf and hang out mentality seems to have died off and I couldn't be happier. Now the fans demand results every game.

JT8888

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
We need an accountability thread where we can find out if we were right or wrong on all King transactions. IIRC, I liked the Sutter hiring just because he's known as a hard ass and it's way too easy to play hockey in LA. The players literally receive no pressure from the fans and there is no media so you need a dictator as a coach who can remind them they need to play hard and train hard when they aren't playing hard. That whole come to LA to surf and hang out mentality seems to have died off and I couldn't be happier. Now the fans demand results every game.

Man I would be scared of a accountability thread regarding the kings. I have been right a few times but god some of the trades I wanted just scare me to think about now ha

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I was cautiously optimistic, and was very thrilled that we got rid of Murray. I felt at the very least, Sutter would give them a kick in the ass, but I was scared that we were going to revert back to the old ways and Sutter could become another Murray. It was a critical moment. If we regressed, Lombardi may have been fired and there could have cleaned house with the front office. It was all or nothing on Sutter, and I figured Dean knew what he is doing with his last bullet.

A fun thread for that would probably be the O'Sullivan + 2nd for Williams thread :P

Interesting to note, that that 2nd turned into a player that we could use right about now: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brian_dumoulin/

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
I was extremely optimistic, I saw Calgary in their cup run, Craig Conroy was their 1st line center! Sutter took them all the way to the 7th game in the finals.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
I didn't hate it. But I'm not gonna try to make myself seem like I knew they were gonna win the Cup, either. I was ambivalent, I suppose.

What I was thrilled about was that TM was leaving and that maybe, just maybe, their fortunes would improve, and boy was I rewarded.

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
I remember getting the news while at my Salvation Army kettle...and sarcastically predicted that the Kings were going to win the Cup after TM got fired out loud to a San Jose Sharks fan... He said that if they do...I'll put $50 in your kettle first time I see you... He actually paid up the week before the kettle season ended...

Note I predicted this before DS was officially named as coach...

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
I hated it for an hour. Then I went and read some more, particularly what they were saying on the Flames board and what his former players had to say about him. Then I was for it. So I was wrong, but then I was right.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I was worried mainly because I bought into all the negativity about him being another coach that wouldn't let the players play an offensive forechecking game.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I didn't really like it at first as I thought he'd be just like Murray, but I didn't freak out about it. Wanted to give him a chance.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
i was against it. i like the accountability factor he was known for, but worried about being just another TMu situation

RonSwanson*

I would have supported a bag of potatoes over Terry Murray at that point.

RonSwanson*

I remember getting the news while at my Salvation Army kettle...and sarcastically predicted that the Kings were going to win the Cup after TM got fired out loud to a San Jose Sharks fan... He said that if they do...I'll put $50 in your kettle first time I see you... He actually paid up the week before the kettle season ended...

Note I predicted this before DS was officially named as coach...

I thought the kettle thing was only during the Holidays. When is the kettle season?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I didn't know enough about him to have an opinion either way...but I do remember reading several quotes from his ex-players and they all had great things to say about him. So, just by that, I felt somewhat optimistic.

I was sure about one thing though, I knew the Kings would never win a SC while Terry Murray was still at the helm. I was right about that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad