Who has the most untapped potential left: McDavid, Matthews, Laine or Eichel?

Who has the most untapped potential left: McDavid, Matthews, Laine or Eichel?

• Total voters

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
So back in 2015 and 2016 when McDavid, Eichel, Matthews and Laine wnet 1 & 2 overall there was some buzz that these 4 players were going to be a modern big 4 that would dominate the world of hockey for the next 15 to 20 years. But it's been a rocky start with all 4 players struggling at different times.

McDavid has had the best start to his career with 2 Art Rosses, 2 Lindsays and a Hart trophy. He's currently on his way to a dominating 3 rd Art Ross and what will be his 5th 90+ point season in a row, something that hasn't been done since Ovechkin hit 90+ points in his first 5 seasons in the league. Matthews has been an absolute beast for my Leafs this year and looks to be heading towards the most dominant Rocket Richards win of all time. Matthews also had a great 40 goal rookie season and leads all players in even strength goals since entering the League. Laine on the other hand became the youngest European player to reach 100 points and the youngest European player to score 100 goals. Laine also went down as one of the best teenage goal scorers in NHL history and holds the record for most November goals in NHL history along with Wayne Gretzky and Mike Bossy. And Laine did all this while playing for Paul Maurice who holds the record for most losses by a coach in NHL history. Eichel on the other hand has... Eichel has... Eichel is leading Buffalo to... Eichel holds the record for... Well, Eichel is hyped up to be a really good player too.

So out of McDavid, Matthews, Laine and Eichel who still has the most untapped potential left? McDavid has a career high of 41 goals and 116 points. Will we see 60+ goals and 140+ points from McDavid? Matthews has a career high of 47 goals and 80 points in just 70 games. Could we see Matthews hit 65+ goals and 120+ points? And what about Laine with a career high of 44 goals and 70 points? Can he hit 70+ goals and 110 points like the experts predicted in a full 82 game season? And Eichel with his solid career high of 36 goals and 82 points, is there room for more growth? Could we see Eichel top 40 goals and 100 points? McDavid is clearly the best player here but that doesn't mean he automatically has the most untapped potential left.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Mega talents always peak in their early to mid 20s, that's when hand eye and fast twitch muscles start to deteriorate. Some of these guys will transition into more well rounded players as they get older, but this is as good as it gets for their physical gifts.

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
It's probably Laine but not for the reason listed in your poll, I don't expect him to score 70 goals. His high so far is 44G and 70P, I would think in a career year he still has the potential for 50+G and 82+ points. So i believe the answer to your question is Laine, just because there is still the opportunity for the most growth.

McDavid has already reached the top of the food chain, I don't think a nominal point total increase over a full season changes much for him with respect to potential.

Matthews would have hit 50+ goals last year if the season finished, I think his ceiling is that 50-60 goals and 90-100 points over 82 and he's there now.

Eichel has already went PPG and is just shy of PPG over his entire career so far, similar to Matthews i would think that 100 point mark is roughly his top, only with less goals and more assists.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Laine. He could be a much better scorer. He also is an underrated passer and has a big frame which could be used to hit and play physically. He does it every now and then, but I think he is too comfortable getting his goals and doesnt work on his other issues enough. And thats not a positive thing. He has the tools but not enough drive...

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Eichel. Has been playing in a crappy situation in Buffalo his whole career and i dont doubt he would blossom in a functioning system.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Eichel. Has been playing in a crappy situation in Buffalo his whole career and i dont doubt he would blossom in a functioning system.

Thats like saying: "Eichel has done all he can but he doesnt have good enough linemates". This poll is about untapped potential, not about what you can do with better teammates

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Eichel probably, that franchise managed to suck the life out of O'Reilly and he responded with a Conn Smythe and Selke once he escaped.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Yeah, I don't think any of these guys have 70+ goal potential, let alone Laine of all.

Untapped potential of those? Definitely without a doubt, Eichel. The guy has been underachieving in Buffalo. Imagine what he could do on a competitive team that utilizes his skills better. The guy is better than what he's displayed for the past few years.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
If there careers finished today... my answer would be Laine.... out of the four he has been the furthest from being where he probably should be. The other three are considered top 10 players while Laine isn’t....

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Mega talents always peak in their early to mid 20s, that's when hand eye and fast twitch muscles start to deteriorate. Some of these guys will transition into more well rounded players as they get older, but this is as good as it gets for their physical gifts.
st-louis-wins-second-art-ross-trophy-ovechkin-claims-third-goal-scoring-title.jpg

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think they all are what they are.

McDavid is the most talented player here so I'd choose him if I had to.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Laine seems to be too content scoring goals. If he would have more drive he could be a lot better overall. It`s kinda sad he doesnt give 100%

Novice

Oct 23, 2017
Laine could probably increase his points/goals the most. I have a hard time seeing him doing it in CBJ though as his strength is not doing everything by himself. In my eyes Laine is the potentially best complementary piece to a great playmaker and I wish we get to see Laine with someone like Marner at some point in his career.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It's Jack.

There's a good chance the other three have already had their career years. Matthews probably can improve a little. But Eichel is only getting started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad