Who has the best/worst home field advantage?

ampersand5

Oct 25, 2010
Most home field advantage in sports stems from the refs being influenced by the crowd.
By looking at the at the discrepancy between penalties taken/drawn on the road versus at home, we can determine which teams audience has the biggest impact on the game and as a result, which team has the biggest home field advantage.

Does anyone know if there is any data available on penalties taken/drawn per game so we can sort the data and rank the teams?

Thoughts?

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Nobody has the best home field advantage because hockey is played on ice.

In other news, that information would be neat to sift through, I like the way you think OP.

ampersand5

Oct 25, 2010
im doing this for the NBA and its really easy because ESPN has all of the stats with a home-away split. However in regards to hockey, I can only find the amount of penalties taken per game with no information on penalties drawn, or the home-away split.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
preview.jpg

I found this very interesting, from the top Nigerian division in soccer. Pretty mindboggling/scary.

The reason given for it is that the home team apparantly transports the referee to the arena and...

Wesleyy

May 30, 2012
As far as I've found, Calgary Flames have the biggest home/road performance discrepancy through years 2005-12. I also went more in depth into possible factors that affect home ice advantage, take a look here if you are interested.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As far as I've found, Calgary Flames have the biggest home/road performance discrepancy through years 2005-12. I also went more in depth into possible factors that affect home ice advantage, take a look here if you are interested.

Interesting you see a lot of the younger teams and worse off teams lately in the standard deviation. Detroit appears there but the 23 game winning streak has a ton to do with that. Then again Detroit (boards) and Edmonton (ice quality) are frequently mentioned as having a distinct advantage by playing with those conditions frequently.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Very well done with that article.

Is there any research breaking down home-ice advantage in the playoffs?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
preview.jpg

I found this very interesting, from the top Nigerian division in soccer. Pretty mindboggling/scary.

The reason given for it is that the home team apparantly transports the referee to the arena and...

... Dear god, how is that even possible? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad