Who has the best video score board in ohl

the dog

May 16, 2014
I was going to say that to....but I heard erie new one is going to be nice

jpc7734

Sep 26, 2012
East Avenue
Mississauga, big, clear, used well wish we had more people to see it but been to bout half the rinks now and its gotta be Mississauga.

Was gonna ask who's is the worst then remembered Plymouth does not have one yet far as I know. Rinks I've been to oshawa had worst.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
London has a good one but it's actually never used for the purpose of replays... just advertising.

KnightSpit

Oct 27, 2012
ERIE New Scoreboard

I was going to say that to....but I heard erie new one is going to be nice

As per the link below, apparently it is one of the most state of the art, with highest HD Resolution around. Will be nice to see McDavid's goals and plays on this one. I also think Mississauga has a decent one. Niagara old arena was a joke and Plymouth did have one once, but like what a Joke. I am surprise with all the money they make and sell out crowds, that Kitchener does not have a better one.

http://reprints.goerie.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=1824903&CategoryID=60292&ListSubAlbums=0

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Mississauga is probably the best.
Niagara's is supposed to be an exact copy of Mississauga except a tad smaller and the scoreboard itself will be on the top instead of underneith.

North Bay has a very good one but they lose points for having the scoreboard in odd spots.

Bad ones are any of those rear projection styles like in Oshawa, Sudbury, Barrie and Belleville to name a few.

krauss72

May 5, 2010
Mississauga is probably the best.
Niagara's is supposed to be an exact copy of Mississauga except a tad smaller and the scoreboard itself will be on the top instead of underneith.

North Bay has a very good one but they lose points for having the scoreboard in odd spots.

Bad ones are any of those rear projection styles like in Oshawa, Sudbury, Barrie and Belleville to name a few.

I think Plymouths is by far the worst. Some kind of projection on the side walls?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I am surprise with all the money they make and sell out crowds, that Kitchener does not have a better one.

http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/4478911-rangers-eyeing-new-video-board/
From April 23rd

KITCHENER — The viewing experience at the Aud is in line for a serious upgrade.

The Kitchener Rangers are looking to replace the centre ice video board and add an additional screen above the blue seats in time for the season opener at a cost of $1 million to $2 million.

"We have approval internally to move forward subject to working with the city and making sure that everything works," said Rangers' chief operating officer Steve Bienkowski.

The club is waiting for the results from various engineering reports to see if the new four-sided model will fit in the rafters of the 63-year-old building.

The team is hoping to get the results by the end of the week and, if all looks good, place an order with Daktronics, a company that supplies most of the video boards to the NHL.

The cost varies depending on the options selected but Bienkowski pegged the project at more than $1 million.

"We've got all the financing in place," he said. "We're going to use a combination of some of our reserves and leasing. We don't have to go to the city and look for money or anything like that."

The current video board was installed in 2003 and was fitted with updated screens five years later. But the Rangers were forced to look for an alternative when the company that made it stopped providing operating support.

The team experienced slight technical issues this past season and staff used patchwork solutions to get through the campaign. The fear is that a major problem could arise in the middle of the season.

"The biggest risk we run is that if something goes wrong it could be down for upwards of six months before you can get a new one in," said Bienkowski. "You just can't buy one off the shelf."

A new video board takes 12 to 16 weeks to make, another three weeks to install and could last up to 15 years. The Rangers want to have it up and running by late August so as not to conflict with training camp.

The current board only allows the Rangers to show replays from the television broadcast feed. A new version would give the club a chance to show its own feed in high definition on a screen almost twice the size. Game-day staff would also be able to interact with the crowd easier.

An additional screen above the blue seats at the top of the stadium would replace small TV screens currently in place.

"Our objective is to move to the new technology and operating system and hopefully to improve the fan experience," said Bienkowski.

It's been approved and I believe it's being installed this month for the opening season.

From June 24
http://www.therecord.com/news-story...nds-357-000-grant-to-upgrade-aud-video-board/
KITCHENER — Kitchener's infrastructure and community services committee recommends council approve spending $357,000 to help the Kitchener Rangers pay for a new video scoreboard to hang above the ice for the 2014-15 OHL season.

The centre ice video board will cost $1.4 million, with the OHL club footing the remainder of the cost.

The existing board still works, but at 11 years old it's difficult to find proper technical support if it breaks down, a report submitted to council says.

In return for the grant, the city will continue to receive a share of the advertising revenue earned by it, about $10,000 to $15,000 per year.

The Rangers also plan to replace the "ribbon board" of backlit advertising panels surrounding the arena, and improve the arena's sound system, at a cost of $538,000.

Council will consider whether to approve the $357,000 grant at its June 30 meeting.

jpc7734

Sep 26, 2012
East Avenue
Side note: The powerade centre (old home of the Battalion for those who've forgotten already) put up a really impressive board as soon as they left, not quiet as nice as missy's but still. Too bad they didn't have it up during the battalion days as the hockey they play there now isn't worth watching at all.

KnightSpit

Oct 27, 2012
Kitchener Video Board

http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/4478911-rangers-eyeing-new-video-board/
From April 23rd

It's been approved and I believe it's being installed this month for the opening season.

From June 24
http://www.therecord.com/news-story...nds-357-000-grant-to-upgrade-aud-video-board/

Thanks for that info., but it is a Shame that the Tax Payers of Kitchener will have to pay anything for this, especially when the Rangers what average like 7,000 Tickets Sold per game and all that concession revenue. Let the team pay for it

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Thanks for that info., but it is a Shame that the Tax Payers of Kitchener will have to pay anything for this, especially when the Rangers what average like 7,000 Tickets Sold per game and all that concession revenue. Let the team pay for it

It's will probably be used for other venues besides the Rangers. The team does not own the building. They did pay for the huge reno a couple of years ago at no expense for the tax payers who benefits with extra seats for concerts and such. The Rangers are probably the most generous club in the CHL plus now they have the best score board.:handclap:

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

I could be wrong but I don't believe the Rangers take in all (if any?) of the concession revenue.
IMHO the City of Kitchener is making like bandits when it comes to the Rangers and the maintenance and up-grades at the Aud.
How did/does things work in London? Did the Knights build and upkeep the JLC/Bud Gardens?
Do the Hunters pay 100% for the upgrades, who takes in all the $$$ from the adverts on the videoboards?
How does this work in other cities?...is it all on the OHL team, a partnership with the city or is it 100% on the arena owner?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I put Plymouth in the category of no video boards.
What they have in place clearly isn't meant for people sitting in their seats.

Exactly. All we have is the old style scoreboard above center ice with the score and penalty times.

London has a good one but it's actually never used for the purpose of replays... just advertising.

I got a similar impression when visiting Windsor. It was a nice board, but it mostly bombards the fans with advertisements.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I love the one w ehave in Missy, big and clear.

I heard Owen Sound has a 6 or 8 sided one, would be interestign to see what that looks like.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I could be wrong but I don't believe the Rangers take in all (if any?) of the concession revenue.
IMHO the City of Kitchener is making like bandits when it comes to the Rangers and the maintenance and up-grades at the Aud.
How did/does things work in London? Did the Knights build and upkeep the JLC/Bud Gardens?
Do the Hunters pay 100% for the upgrades, who takes in all the $$$ from the adverts on the videoboards?
How does this work in other cities?...is it all on the OHL team, a partnership with the city or is it 100% on the arena owner?

If I recall correctly, the Rangers don't make a penny from the concessions in the main concourse, but do get a percentage of the concessions on the new upper level. The city of Kitchener does just fine on the backs of the Rangers and fans.

jpc7734

Sep 26, 2012
East Avenue
if you go to the Meridian Centre's construction cam you can see the new video board sitting on the floor (checked on 8/13) waiting to be lifted up maybe it's just the angle but it looks little on small side. But again could just be angle could also be cause I'm used to the Missy one which is huge for the arena.

https://meridiancentre.click2stream.com/

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I put Plymouth in the category of no video boards.
What they have in place clearly isn't meant for people sitting in their seats.

Agreed. What it DOES do is give your eyes a major headache.

That's one of the reasons(albeit a minor one)why I put that area dead last among those OHL arenas I've been to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad