Who has the best "core 4" ?

Who has the best core 4 in the NHL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
come on really?
you can't say their equal but take out the playoffs (you know, where stars get paid to play like stars)
this is a joke of a post

113 points in his last 97 games compared to 78 in his last 75 games

[mod]

I don’t see Crosby anywhere near Matthews rn, he hasn’t even peaked and he was already damn close to Crosby’s ppg last year coming off of an injury. The question in the OP is the best core 4, whoes core 4 is producing more rn Pens or Leafs? Matthews is only getting better, Crosby has completely plateaued. I’d take him this season and probably for good over Crosby for sure.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t see Crosby anywhere near Matthews rn, he hasn’t even peaked and he was already damn close to Crosby’s ppg last year coming off of an injury. The question in the OP is the best core 4, whoes core 4 is producing more rn Pens or Leafs? Matthews is only getting better, Crosby has completely plateaued. I’d take him this season and probably for good over Crosby for sure.

[mod]
Because I’m right. In the future, I would agree with you. But right now, there is no way I’m taking the leafs core over the Pens

Last edited by a moderator:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Penguins and that is a VERY easy answer. Toronto, lol?

Crosby>Matthews
Malkin>Tavares
Kessel>Marner
Letang>Reilly

Rielly has 65pts in his last 82 games. Letang had 51 in 79 last year and he is awful in his own end

also matthews has dropped crosby from his #2C slot. I dont care that Crosby was the best before mcdavid came, im taking the guy with 10g/14pts over the guy with 0g/4pts every day of the week

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
"right now"

leafs: 5-1, top 4 has 47 points
pens: 2-1-1 , top 4 has 25 points

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
This is an interesting poll. By default, I'd pick the Leafs core four, but Winnipeg, Washington, and Tampa Bay has some excellent core pieces. I'd probably even sub out Point for Vasilevskiy; if I could do that, I'd probably go with Tampa Bay simply because of all the core four teams on this list, Tampa Bay is the only one with a prime franchise defenseman and prime aged forwards.

Ranking out the top-five with the list we have now:

1. Washington
2. Tampa Bay
3. Toronto
4. Winnipeg
5. Penguins

based on votes thus far its,

pens
leafs
lightning
caps
bruins

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kuznetsov just combined for 82 points and went over PPG on a cup run with Carlson not far behind but yeah clearly pales in comparison to tampa and toronto

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Penguins and that is a VERY easy answer. Toronto, lol?

Crosby>Matthews
Malkin>Tavares
Kessel>Marner
Letang>Reilly

OK buddy.

If anyone had to draft a team for now & the future...who would they pick?

Crosby - Matthews
Malkin - Tavares
Kessel - Marner
Letang - Reilly

Literally the opposite of what you said.

"lol?"

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Still Pittsburgh
Malkin and Crosby are special. Best players of a generation - all-time great players - proven playoff warriors/winners.

Kessel and Letang can be easily matched by others but i think Crosby/Malkin alone - still today in their 30s - puts them #1.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Marchand Bergeron and Pasta all locked up long term for under 20 million AAV. Bruins will likely get all 4 locked in for less than Matthews + Tavares.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
SO why isn't Columbus being included in this poll?

Jones, Werenski, Panarin, Atkinson/Dubois is at least on par with many of these groups.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Homer vote aside, Ovi, Kuzy, Backstrom and Carlson gets my vote.

I was gonna put the same thing. Homer vote aside I would take the Pens.

Bruins are right there but Bergeron getting hurt a lot lately and Krug (McAvoy) being so young, I just couldn't vote for them.

Reactions: Mean Gene

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
SO why isn't Columbus being included in this poll?

Jones, Werenski, Panarin, Atkinson/Dubois is at least on par with many of these groups.

For THIS season sure that sounds good. Panarin won't be there after this season and that is a HUGE hit.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Rielly has 65pts in his last 82 games. Letang had 51 in 79 last year and he is awful in his own end

also matthews has dropped crosby from his #2C slot. I dont care that Crosby was the best before mcdavid came, im taking the guy with 10g/14pts over the guy with 0g/4pts every day of the week
I'm going to assume you're unfamiliar with the term "hot streak"? Or do you and your Leafs brethren actually think Matthews is going to score 140 goals?

Now, outside of this whimsical fantasyland performance in the last week, Crosby has been better than Matthews in every way. Since Matthews has been in the league, Crosby has won a Richard, has a second place finish in Hart voting, a World Cup MVP, multiple Cups, multiple Conn Smythe trophies, and 67 points in 60 playoff games. Matthews has a Calder.

Nice try.

OK buddy.

If anyone had to draft a team for now & the future...who would they pick?

Crosby - Matthews
Malkin - Tavares
Kessel - Marner
Letang - Reilly

Literally the opposite of what you said.

"lol?"
Malkin just posted a 98 point season and lead the playoffs in scoring the year prior. Yet you take Tavares now? Phil Kessel outscored Marner by 23 points last season. What's your infatuation with lesser players?

Last edited:
Reactions: 71Malkin71

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
How is Pitt winning this? Who picks a core of 30 year olds over a core of 20 year olds?

Pensfan891

Jan 17, 2016
Mhmm...yeah. There’s absolutely no reason to pick the Penguins core. It's not like they won 2 out of the last 3 cups.

Reactions: Reversi

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
How is Pitt winning this? Who picks a core of 30 year olds over a core of 20 year olds?

It's asking for the best core, doesn't say anything about the future. Leafs should have zero votes as they are clearly below caps and pens, probably Tampa too.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
It's asking for the best core, doesn't say anything about the future. Leafs should have zero votes as they are clearly below caps and pens, probably Tampa too.

Glad to see the definition of core no longer includes the future when the leafs are involved.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Glad to see the definition of core no longer includes the future when the leafs are involved.
No need to play the victim. The definition of the term "core" never had any relation to time, unless otherwise denoted. It's only when you want the Leafs to win a poll that it somehow has any correlation.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
To think Edmonton could've had a core 4 of McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl & Barzal

wtg Chiarelli

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
No need to play the victim. The definition of the term "core" never had any relation to time, unless otherwise denoted. It's only when you want the Leafs to win a poll that it somehow has any correlation.
Nah, ignoring the Leafs completely, core has always been now and going forward, not now and ignoring the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad