Who Has (Potentially) The Best All-Time Highlight Reel?

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Rick Middleton is definitely up there for me. Nifty indeed. I played in the game pictured below, a thrill to line up next to him.

hockey.jpg

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nifty is another gem, I remember when Boston got him, thought the Rangers were fleeced.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Feel like pre mid 90s prime would have an really hard time here just by lack of good quality footage, Forsberg is a good pick, Datsyuk/Crosby, highlight that include important game (gold medal, playoff) winning goal tend to be more fun also.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Gonna say what I always say when this question is asked. If you want clips of guys making the sport of hockey look ridiculously easy and effortless, get the Big 4 on the horn.

If you want a visually stunning sequence of plays from a guy who you feel like is consistently overachieving, get you someone like Pavel Datsyuk.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Is there a good Gordie Howe highlights video out there:

Stuff like this:

Are far from say a Pavel Bure level.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Bobby Orr
Mario Lemieux
Peter Forsberg
Sidney Crosby
Alex Ovechkin
Pavel Datsyuk

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
You will all be shocked that my vote goes to Wayne Gretzky. He turned hockey into a combination of chess and ballet.

But this is just down to aesthetic preferences. I personally enjoy clever passing and creative team play more than individuals beating guys one-on-one. Gretzky and Kurri's tandem, to me, was the high point of the sport.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
"Highlight reel" is Datsyuk, pretty easily, with one of Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin next, depending on personal preference.

What you have to understand is that a "highlight reel" is going to depend on the available footage and its fidelity. The contours of Datsyuk's career closely match the rise of widespread access digital video storage mediums--and of the players this is true of, his is the most aesthetically pleasing game with the possible exception of McDavid--whose sample size of available footage is nowhere near as long due to the brevity of his career.

Guys like Lemieux, Lindros or--especially--Bobby Orr are just unavoidably going to have quality plays lost to entropy or which weren't recorded in the first place. With Datsyuk, everything after he crossed the ocean was preserved.

So, even if someone were to say "Datsyuk isn't any more eye-popping than Gil P," maybe that could be argued to be true, strictly speaking, but the fact of the matter is there isn't enough footage to compile the proof and the footage will be of a much lower quality. You're going to have 10 hours of mindblowing Datsyuk plays and, like, 19 minutes of Perreault (at best).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hippasus

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
"Highlight reel" is Datsyuk, pretty easily, with one of Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin next, depending on personal preference.

What you have to understand is that a "highlight reel" is going to depend on the available footage and its fidelity. The contours of Datsyuk's career closely match the rise of widespread access digital video storage mediums--and of the players this is true of, his is the most aesthetically pleasing game with the possible exception of McDavid--whose sample size of available footage is nowhere near as long due to the brevity of his career.

Guys like Lemieux, Lindros or--especially--Bobby Orr are just unavoidably going to have quality plays lost to entropy or which weren't recorded in the first place. With Datsyuk, everything after he crossed the ocean was preserved.

So, even if someone were to say "Datsyuk isn't any more eye-popping than Gil P," maybe that could be argued to be true, strictly speaking, but the fact of the matter is there isn't enough footage to compile the proof and the footage will be of a much lower quality. You're going to have 10 hours of mindblowing Datsyuk plays and, like, 19 minutes of Perreault (at best).
As I recall (memory may be fading here in my golden years), when Gretzky played my tribe had the wheel and humans had already begun to control fire.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but to me the opposite is often true. For example, Bobby Orr is before my time, and partly as a result I'm fascinated by the limited highlights I can see of him in his prime, whereas I get bored very quickly watching endless and limitless highlights of Ovechkin in HD blasting one-timers from the same spot over and over.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
As I recall (memory may be fading here in my golden years), when Gretzky played my tribe had the wheel and humans had already begun to control fire.

It was well into the 90s by the time every team saw all 82 games broadcast and the strays who were recording and saving broadcasts were saving them on magnetic media, which is notoriously subject to deterioration. Some teams saved film footage on their own, but it wasn't all of them and there was no league-wide system before a certain point. I mean, good luck tracking down a specific Sharks/Whalers game from 1994.

Lack of universal preservation of high quality hockey footage in high fidelity format isn't an ancient phenomenon. Universal preservation of it is a recent phenomenon.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

I mean, I get what you're saying, but to me the opposite is often true. For example, Bobby Orr is before my time, and partly as a result I'm fascinated by the limited highlights I can see of him in his prime, whereas I get bored very quickly watching endless and limitless highlights of Ovechkin in HD blasting one-timers from the same spot over and over.
To be fair ovechkins best goals are some of the best ever.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
How much of his Nords footage do you have?
Considering he played just ONE season with the Nordiques (and a shortened season), you won't find a lot of footage.

But your question is ridiculous nothing less because there are enough Avs footage of Forsberg to prove why his highlight reels are still better than Datsyuk's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad