Speculation: Who Has Improved (If Anyone) Since Last Year?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Improved:
Bogo, Dahlin, Eichel, Reinhart, McCabe, Matt Moulson
All despite the coach, not thanks to. Bogo’s case is due to being healthy.

The same:
Larsson, Ristolainen, Girgensons, Pominville, Sobotka, Thompson, Erod, Skinner, Mittelstadt, Nelson, Wilson

Regressed:
Okposo, Pilut (during his time with Sabres), Scandella, Sheary

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Outside of the organization is a bit better:

Laaksonen and UPL have all progressed nicely, perhaps even shockingly. Bryson is a little better than last year. Wiessbach is doing more with less with the Badgers, even after being hurt. Samuelsson making the U20 team and putting up some points in his program as a freshman. Pekar's early season PKing and peskiness. Kukkonen getting elevated to the to the big club.

Davidsson has had some luster come off but still has skating/work to his game.

Eh, someone tell me something positive, my coffee is wearing off. :biglaugh:

Reactions: kp2575

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
If you're targeting improvement via the current regime, I think it's clear that development is in the same category as usage, adjustments, and...well, just about everything when it come to Housley: not something he shows any particular competence in.

It's partially why it's always really frustrated me when commentators will occaisionally say something about Dahlin being lucky to have Phil for a coach.

The players have their faults certainly but many are continually just not put in the best position to succeed. Scandella is a terrible partner for Risto, yet the coach deploys them as a pairing more often than not.

Phil's system might be better than Bylsma's, but he seemingly has no idea how to fit anyone into it.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Outside of the organization is a bit better:

Laaksonen and UPL have all progressed nicely, perhaps even shockingly. Bryson is a little better than last year. Wiessbach is doing more with less with the Badgers, even after being hurt. Samuelsson making the U20 team and putting up some points in his program as a freshman. Pekar's early season PKing and peskiness. Kukkonen getting elevated to the to the big club.

Davidsson has had some luster come off but still has skating/work to his game.

Eh, someone tell me something positive, my coffee is wearing off. :biglaugh:

Rochester has a winning, exciting team.

Reactions: kp2575

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
This is largely a tallest midget contest outside of Jack, Dahlin Sam and Skinner. Check the shoes for lifts and you’ll be disappointed.

Edit. Shoes

Last edited:

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
McCabe is one guy that was massively better than last season
Yet, by most or any metrics, he is bad. I think we need to strive for better in our Top 4, even Top 6.

My opinion stands that you don't need to pay Jake McCabe a huge raise and long term deal. He's type of player that is easy to replace, and is probably a worse player than the guy we just traded for a 6th Round Pick. He's trade bait IMO.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yet, by most or any metrics, he is bad. I think we need to strive for better in our Top 4, even Top 6.

My opinion stands that you don't need to pay Jake McCabe a huge raise and long term deal. He's type of player that is easy to replace, and is probably a worse player than the guy we just traded for a 6th Round Pick. He's trade bait IMO.

I've hoped they use McCabe in a deal, but him having direct ties to the coach seems like he'll be around.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

The only difference between McCabe this year and last is health. Like you said, an eminently replaceable third pair guy.

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
The only difference between McCabe this year and last is health. Like you said, an eminently replaceable third pair guy.
I'm at the point where I look at our defense and see three pieces that we can use to build around. Dahlin (obviously), Pilut and Montour. I think that is 3/4 of a pretty darn good top 4, who could drive play. We don't need to overpay guys like McCabe, Bogo, Risto. Where has that gotten us to date?

At this point, Nelson might be the best temporary solution to play with Dahlin. Pilut and Montour could be a very strong second pair next year.

Dream scenario for me is trading Risto straight up for a signed Jacob Trouba. That would immediately give us one of the better Top 4's in the league, which isn't easy to say when Risto is one of the top two options. With that type of Top 4, you could rotate in some younger guys or cheap vets on the third pair. Guys that can play PK and at least break even in possession. Is that too much to ask?

I feel one of the biggest opportunities (besides firing the coach) this off-season is to have a "changing of the guard" on defense. This is something that'll really change the capabilities of the team, as a whole. Get rid of the old guard, and get some fresh bodies in here. McCabe, Bogo, Hunwick are all replacement level or below. You should be able to find some cheap vets to fill those roles, and maybe can even swindle a decent forward or two from some teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad