Who has been better thus far: Giroux vs. Voracek

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Both Giroux and Voracek have been great, obviously, but who would you rank as the best amongst our guys this season? Voracek leads the NHL in points, but to me Giroux has been more impressive. Probably because of his improved defensive play.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
I don't think the 6 point difference makes up for the impact Giroux has had everywhere else on the ice. Especially with that FO %.

Voracek's ES scoring is looking a hell of a lot better than Giroux's though.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I can't vote, but I'd say Giroux. He's been constantly used for defensive zone draws and the point difference is not much.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I'm going with Giroux because of his intangibles. :sarcasm:

Seriously, it's really close, but I had to give Claude the edge. G has been taking an absurd amount of face-offs, PK's, runs the PP, and has had one of his better years defensively at what I think is a more valuable position.

I don't know where to find an updated version of it, but there was that player usage chart going around sometime in December I think, and G's minutes were clearly harder than any other top center in the league. I'd be willing to bet that Voracek's minutes, who were easier, are real similar now that Berube has decided that the 4th line deserves more offensive zone starts than anybody else.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Assuming the question is asking who's been better overall, I'll always hand it to the 200-ft player. Jake sets the pace offensively at ES but Girouxs simply asked and expected to do a lot more lifting than him everywhere else. Giroux's work on the Powerplay is most of the reason we win any games. Jake's amazing but this team still goes as Giroux goes.

Thank the hockey gods for G Jake and Mase.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Voracek was better in 12-13 and has been better so far in 14-15.

They both need to pick up their play though. The production is slowing down.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Who has been better? I'd have to give it to Voracek because he's exceeding expectations. Giroux is playing exactly like I'd expect him to.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Giroux's brought more versatility to his game and he's a center, so that means a lot with things like draws and defensive play. The point difference isn't all that large and the two are glued to each other most of the game anyways, so Giroux wins out for his uses in other areas besides scoring.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Giroux, although Voracek has been nothing short of amazing this year.

Giroux does too many things to not be the best/most important player to the flyers still.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Voracek's incredible production dropped off a couple months ago, but Giroux has been pretty consistent until recently. Also, Giroux's impact on the team is greater than Voracek's.

I can't wait until next season when we have a new coach that will use these guys to win us games instead of Vandevelde

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Giroux plays all situations whereas Voracek dominates in the offensive zone. Makes no sense to compare those two imho.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Giroux plays all situations whereas Voracek dominates in the offensive zone. Makes no sense to compare those two imho.
Well, it's not like Voracek isn't allowed to be good on defense. He could put himself in the same position Giroux is in, so it does make sense to compare the two. But I think the fact that Giroux has put himself to be relied upon in all situations attests to him being better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad