Who had the worst decline this season?

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He's the most vanilla player I've ever seen. Or not seen. He's so unnoticeable it's uncanny.

You were 100% spot on from your description of Tierney to me at the start of the season, I forgot what thread that was in originally, but I remember well the dialogue between us in that thread.

He is absolutely a vanilla player. No strengths of any sort stand out. He potted some production near the last quarter of the season but was mostly low event guy all season.

Granted he didn't play a lot early, And he looked better as the season closed, but completely a vanilla guy. No glaring positives and not completely negative but kind of just there.

Don't hate the guy of course, but I would have kept Jesper Boqvist around.

To the OG thread - on the Devils there was a huge drop in play by John Marino and Jonas Siegenthaler to expectations. Hope this year was an anomaly.

Reactions: NyQuil

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Tom Wilson 35 points season is up there. His worst since 17/18 (playoffs is a different story lol)

Reactions: HabsQC

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A juiced up PP playing with a generational talent and an unsustainable sh% is a hell of a drug. Turned a 20 goal, 50-60 pt man into a 37 goal, 104 pt guy for one season. This year was Hyman's turn for a career year. Maybe next season it'll be Foegele?

Hyman has had two big seasons in a row, so it's hard to qualify this is a career year. He actually had more points last year.

I think we all know the main reason for the hyped up numbers, but a career year usually infers that there is one outlier of a season, but that's not the case here.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hyman has had two big seasons in a row, so it's hard to qualify this is a career year. He actually had more points last year.

I think we all know the main reason for the hyped up numbers, but a career year usually infers that there is one outlier of a season, but that's not the case here.
The main potential outlier for Hyman is that the puck actually went into the net this year. He scored like 15 goals below expected last season and also had 8 or 9 goals called back on review.

I do think he basically spent his entire offseason working on finishing around the net but we'll see if he goes back to getting robbed by goalies next year. McDavid will also probably go back to shooting a bit more next year which could lead to fewer Hyman goals.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Elias Pettersson before signing his contract vs. after signing his contract

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The main potential outlier for Hyman is that the puck actually went into the net this year. He scored like 15 goals below expected last season and also had 8 or 9 goals called back on review.
15 goals too little than expected and 8 or 9 goals called back on review.

Ok.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Tom Wilson 35 points season is up there. His worst since 17/18 (playoffs is a different story lol)
Meh, his max was 52 on a better line

Guys like Robertson and Buchnevic took production hits but theyre still solid players. Maybe just over performed for a bit

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Pittsburgh have Karlsson, but I also feel Jeff Carter are starting to really decline. Down to 15 points this year from 29 last year and 45 the year before that. Quite normal given he is 39.

Other guys worth mentioning are Kuznetsov from 55 points to 24 points for Caps+Hurricanes.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
He's turning 38 soon so he has a good reason, but this season was the first time I felt like Malkin was no longer an elite player.
I was looking at his numbers a couple weeks ago and realized that, outside of two injury-shortened seasons in 10-11 and 20-21, it was his first-ever full season below a point per game--didn't even make it to 70 points! Still a very dangerous player, but yeah, we're seeing the real comedown it seems.
It was entirely due to the powerplay though where he went from 36 to 18 points. At even strength he was just as good as last year this despite having a wide assortment of linemates. If the Pens powerplay wasn't straight up trash he probably would have been at a point a game.

He also lead the leauge in takeaways, so while its true he's not the dominant force of his younger years his decline and usefulness wasn't as bad as the numbers initially suggest

Pittsburgh have Karlsson, but I also feel Jeff Carter are starting to really decline. Down to 15 points this year from 29 last year and 45 the year before that. Quite normal given he is 39.
Well it was his final season after all.

Last edited:

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I don't see him being a 16% shooter long term. Probably closer to 13 or 14 imo. He was unlucky this year but I see him more as a 75-85 point guy going forward than a 90+ one. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't think he's elite. I could very well be wrong. His shooting has been all over so it's hard to say. We'll have to wait and see.
This is a fair assessment of Tage.

Similarly to what happened to some Buffalo players this year, I see the same thing happening with Detroit next season.

Gonna be a rough regression to the mean next season for Raymond and Larkin. 19% and 14.9%? Yikes

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
This is a fair assessment of Tage.

Similarly to what happened to some Buffalo players this year, I see the same thing happening with Detroit next season.

Gonna be a rough regression to the mean next season for Raymond and Larkin. 19% and 14.9%? Yikes
I'm not sure if you're trying to use my logic against me to bait me into making this about Detroit or not, but sure I'll bite.

Larkin has been essentially ppg the last 3 seasons. He was used pretty exclusively in that middle position on the PP for one timers. Do I expect his shooting % to come down? Yes. Am I worried about him at all? No.

Raymond took massive steps all over with his game. He went from a fringe top 6 player to a legit first liner. I expect his shooting % to also come down but he and Larkin are the last two players we're worried about on the team at this point.

A very strange dig as these two are essentially the last two players Detroit is worried about. I think Fabbri, Compher, needing better dmen/goaltending, are all much bigger areas of concern.

Luckily, 2C, dmen, goaltending, and depth wingers are all strengths in our farm. Those holes will hopefully be filled by some of Danielson, Kasper, Edvinsson, Johansson, ASP, Mazur, Cossa, Augustine, etc these next 1-3 years.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hard to argue mathematically against Karlsson and Nuge, but I don't know that many are surprised. Guys had personal bests last year and went back to normal.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Probably already mentioned, but TJ went from 1st pairing last year in the playoffs to healthy scratch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad