Who had the worst decline this season?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
A juiced up PP playing with a generational talent and an unsustainable sh% is a hell of a drug. Turned a 20 goal, 50-60 pt man into a 37 goal, 104 pt guy for one season. This year was Hyman's turn for a career year. Maybe next season it'll be Foegele?
Hyman has a had a career year every year as an Oiler and Foegele had one this year.

sbhnur

Dec 26, 2020
Nuge is the same. His last season was abnormal for him. In terms of decline as a player, I actually think Evander Kane is steering towards washed up territory soon.
This is very true. Nuge always was more of a passenger than a driver.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Good pick but he had an unsustainable sh% last year, far better than anything he'd previously done.

For instance, using his sh% last year on this season puts him at 33 goals and 82 points. That's a 22 point drop off which is still significant. But nowhere near as bad as the 47 point drop off suggests
Nuge. Yes, unsustainable....big drop.

Karlsson too.....but that happens to anyone who joins Sullivan gang .
I would say the five new guys Dubas brought in to enable the team to "take another shot" ....played the worst hockey of their careers.
Karlsson - and not just the numbers
Eler - looked like he just forgot how to play hockey.
Smith - unbelievably bad
Graves - minor league team probably didn't want him. He was that bad.
Accarai- wtf was that?

I would say those 5 had the most noticeable decline in play .....all under Sullivan

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nuge. Yes, unsustainable....big drop.

Karlsson too.....but that happens to anyone who joins Sullivan gang .
I would say the five new guys Dubas brought into give the team " take another shot" ....played the worst hockey of their careers.
Karlsson - and not just the numbers
Eler - looked like he just forgot how to play hockey.
Smith - unbelievably poor
Graves - minor league team probably didn't want him. He was that bad.
Accarai- wtf was that?

I would say those 5 had the most noticeable decline in play .....all under Sullivan
Eller played with the Avs last season for a while. Looked washed and terrible in Colorado.

Sorry to hear Graves sucks. He was a decent number 5 in Colorado.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Once again we got the proof a team can not have two rovers. Karlsson at least can not handle shared boss duties.

People get so enamored with the high-scoring defensemen but time and again it's the best two-way players who make the biggest difference.

Guys like Chelios, Lidstrom, Bourque, Keith, Hedman, etc.
They can score 60-80pts (or sometimes more) but they can also defend well against the other teams' top lines.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Another shooting percentage king anyone who took a look at saw coming

Not really. His individual and on-ice shooting percentages in both 21-22 and 22-23 were roughly the same, and not really at a level that’s unsustainable for an elite player, which suggests he made a jump in 21-22 then got better in 22-23. And while his numbers are down this year, his production is still in line with 21-22. It’s possible this year is actually a result of poor shooting while dealing with injuries.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Probably not the worst decline as he was a depth guy to begin with, but Freddy Gaudreau somehow turned from a solid 3rd liner to complete deadweight in one offseason.

And the best part? 4 more years with a partial NTC, yay.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Eller played with the Avs last season for a while. Looked washed and terrible in Colorado.

Sorry to hear Graves sucks. He was a decent numberYea Figured that. 5 in Colorado.
Yes. Surprising. Found it hard to believe the Devils would have had any use for this guy in last years first two rounds of play off hockey.

Forgot Eller even played fir the Aves.
The guy is done......but Sullivan loves him. Reg shift, pp, pk, key face offs. lol

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
Karlsson terrible at defending, terrible on powerplay.

I talked a lot last season about him not being able to play competitive games and that he is way worse player than his stats showed. Everyone was arguing with me saying that he should be unanumous norris winner, he is good at defending, and that 100pt is his real level in production as he was finally healthy. Hate that I have to watch his mistakes every night in Penguins jersey now. Where are all the Karlsson hype people now?
So glad you guys won that trade and not the #Canes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad