Who had more impressive rookie season in their respective sport, Connor Bedard, or Victor Wenbayama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Okay, let's clear up something up first.

You are completely misrepresenting what I said and bolding text doesn't add weight to your argument. Twice now, I have agreed with you that Wemby had the more impressive rookie season. All I did was mention that Wemby has two years on Bedard, that's it, and that seems to be a point you're unwilling to acknowledge has an ounce of merit.

Your point that the minimum age in the NHL is 18 and the minimum in the NBA is 19 further adds weight to the point I was making. Let's carry things a little further and imagine the NHL has a 15 year old minimum age and the NBA a 25. Is it now fair to mention the fact that you're comparing people at different developmental stages? I'd love to hear how you think it's not, and all I'm doing is extending the principle.

Also, let's not act like the league is filled with 18 year olds, because a kid playing full minutes at 18 is very clearly the exception rather than the rule.
Vast majority of first overall picks play and have played full minutes on their respective teams in the NHL. Had you said you can’t compare them due to the league rules, i’d agreed with you.

According to you, Wemby has this advantage for being 560 days older than Bedard, ignoring the fact that the youngest guy he is playing against is also at minimum 365 days older than the youngest player Bedard could possible play against.

How does that give Wemby any advantage against his peers? Relative to the players in their league, they’re at the exact same line.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Not a fair debate. The guy doing large ball sport is 20 years old. TWENTY!!! Once Bedard is 20 (and 7'4) he'll smash the b-baller.

• Wow
Reactions: Machinehead

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Why do (some) hockey fans have to act like clowns towards other sports?

NBA dwarfs, and I mean absolutely dwarfs, the NHL in terms of popularity and relevance in the USA and especially globally and Wembanyama is a bigger superstar than *any* NHL player (like it's not even close) much less rookie Bedard.

If it's not your cup of tea fine but hockey fans who can't bring themselves to like or respect other sports need to humble themselves.

This is coming from someone who has the NHL/Hockey as by a mile my fav sport/league (while also being a huge fan of NBA and many other leagues).

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
If you're not interested in basketball, you could just not reply to the thread.

It’s always a head scratcher when a topic clearly lays out what is required to comment and there’s still a decent crowd who feel the compulsion to post that they don’t know who one person is, so the choice clearly has to be the hockey player.

I don’t understand the type of mind who needs to proudly tout to the world that they couldn’t even be bothered to Google an unfamiliar term before piping in. If one knows who Bedard is, and someone else is making a comparison topic to him, there’s no curiosity to even search for a second on that person? Pretty sad.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s always a head scratcher when a topic clearly lays out what is required to comment and there’s still a decent crowd who feel the compulsion to post that they don’t know who one person is, so the choice clearly has to be the hockey player.

I don’t understand the type of mind who needs to proudly tout to the world that they couldn’t even be bothered to Google an unfamiliar term before piping in. If one knows who Bedard is, and someone else is making a comparison topic to him, there’s no curiosity to even search for a second on that person? Pretty sad.
Yeah, my favorite comments are "I don't know who that is, so Bedard."

I don't know who any cricket players are. It's just not readily available in the US. Imagine the arrogance for me to think they suck because I don't know them.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
basketball....
tenor-2182291880.gif

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
This is not even remotely close. Wemby had one of the most impressive and historic rookie seasons of all time.

Connor Bedard had an okay season.

Why do (some) hockey fans have to act like clowns towards other sports?

NBA dwarfs, and I mean absolutely dwarfs, the NHL in terms of popularity and relevance in the USA and especially globally and Wembanyama is a bigger superstar than *any* NHL player (like it's not even close) much less rookie Bedard.

If it's not your cup of tea fine but hockey fans who can't bring themselves to like or respect other sports need to humble themselves.

This is coming from someone who has the NHL/Hockey as by a mile my fav sport/league (while also being a huge fan of NBA and many other leagues).
Insecurity. Intolerance. Jealousy.

As you pointed out, it's not the not-liking of other sports that's the issue with some of these hockey-only fans but the need to denigrate and traffic in ignorance and stereotypes when it comes to them because they feel threatened. Must be a miserable existence.

Last edited:

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Webby but due to the nature of sports and being vastly different its hard to compare directly both are having astounding seasons but winning a major award in a rookie year makes it a no brainer. Also webby isn't even the tallest player in NBA history so saying he is dominating because of size is false its the skillset which gets amplified by his size

Why do people post NBA stuff here regularly? Very bizarre.
Hockey is our passion but we love sports

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This is Wembayana and it's not even remotely close. Arguably the best defensive player in the NBA this year, while still putting up points at the same rate as Bedard (relative to their leagues).

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He also played 10 more mins per games than Wemby and was still less productive and not nearly as dominant defensively.
everyone played more minutes though, and LeBron was 13th in ppg vs Wemby at 30th. So LeBron's competition was all playing a lot more mins because superstars all played more mins 20 years ago vs today.

I agree Wemby has a bigger impact overall though, but using raw totals is pretty stupid because every counting stat is significantly higher now than it was in 2003-04

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
everyone played more minutes though, and LeBron was 13th in ppg vs Wemby at 30th. So LeBron's competition was all playing a lot more mins because superstars all played more mins 20 years ago vs today.

I agree Wemby has a bigger impact overall though, but using raw totals is pretty stupid because every counting stat is significantly higher now than it was in 2003-04
Lebron was 10th in MPG as a rookie, Wemby is 100th, 6 mins behind 10th place. Lebron being 13th in PPG is impressive, but Wemby being 30th with so much less time is pretty impressive. I think their per minute offensive impacts were probably pretty equivalent.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Lebron was 10th in MPG as a rookie, Wemby is 100th, 6 mins behind 10th place. Lebron being 13th in PPG is impressive, but Wemby being 30th with so much less time is pretty impressive. I think their per minute offensive impacts were probably pretty equivalent.
playing more mins is inherently valuable though, but I get where you are coming from.

The thing is, at 7'4 Wemby will probably never be top 10 in MPG, which is fine, but if someone *can* play more mins and still be productive its actually a good thing not a bad thing, even his stuff like pts/min goes down.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Easily Wembenyama. Dude's a freak. I don't follow NBA too much, but what Wemby is doing is just mind-blowing and has made me watch more basketball this year than in years past.

Got size, skill, shooting ability, and his defensive skills are just absurd. He's just a fun and exciting player to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad