Who gets the 2005 #1 pick if there is no season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The Capitals!!! :eek:

j/k

Yet to be determined but likely same initial draft order except a new ping ponged lottery for the lottery teams.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
No CBA = no Draft

Can someone PLEASE sticky this? it is asked at least 2-3 times a week...

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
there can be a draft with no cba. i dont know why people dont get that. the owners own the league. the draftees are not part of the prior players union. thus, teams can have a draft. if they want, they can wait to sign players till a new agreement is reached, but the draft eligible players are not part of any union and the owners own the league.

they should just do a draft based on last years standings, with a new lottery. and then just wait to sign the players till a new cba is reached

leafaholix*

Toronto will get the #1 pick, I thought that was clear.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
The host team gets to pick first. As a friendly gesture, we'll gladly give the 2nd overall team a BONUS player in Denis Hamel. Sound fair everyone?!

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
While I agree that there CAN be a draft, and probably SHOULD be a draft, I don't like the idea of a lottery involving only the also-ran teams of 2003-04. I think all 30 teams should be in the 2005 draft lottery, weighted using 2003-04 standings as a basis for comparison. My reasoning is simple: The Coyotes were an also-ran in 2003-04, but since then have added the likes of Gauthier and O'Donnell on defense, plus Nedved, Hull and Saprykin up front. In other words, rosters have changed since the 2003-04 was played...in some cases, drastically. On the opposite end of the spectrum, we have Boston. In 2003-04, Boston was a Cup contender entering the postseason. Now, they've seen a mass exodus of talent and have decided not to replace them until after the lockout is over.

I just feel that the fairest solution would be a weighted lottery involving all 30 teams (ESPECIALLY because 2005 is a special draft year--because of Crosby yes, but also because of Brule and the overall depth of the first round).

Just one man's opinion.

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
x-bob said:
This kind of thread has been posted millions of times....I'm starting to get sick of it.

Then don't read it. Some people don't spend their lives on this thing and wouldn't know the information if not for it being asked frequently. Have it stickied if you want, but otherwise no one is forcing you to click on this thread that is clearly titled as to what is the subject.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
They should have all the teams submit a bid for the first draft pick. With the amount of the bid subtracted from that team's salary cap ceiling for each of the next 5 years.

E.g. Rangers submit a winning bid of $10M... fine, but then instead of a $40M cap, they have to operate under a $30M cap for the next five years. Etc. Many teams would submit a bid of $0, and then be subject to last year's draft order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad