Speculation: Who Gets Sold?

Who gets sold? (Requires a buyer)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tintinetmilou

Mar 22, 2010
Thomson, Scandella and Ttar will be moved. Maybe Petry if the offer is too good to ignore. I would talk to the Leafs about Petry. I would ask Kapanenen and picks.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Tatar and Petry are real bonafide chances to be dealt. Will they? Not one person on this board can predict what MB will do, his thought process in 8 years, quite often has made no sense.

Would love to see 2 1st round picks coming back, but he has NOT aquired a 1st round pick in 8 years, so??

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
To me, the big picture is as follow:

- Habs have to get back in the playoffs next year
- The weakness is on defence and we finally have a decent top four so forget about Weber, Petry being traded and Scandella might be re-signed
- Mete will need to be protected for the expansion draft and won't be the best youngster at his position at the time
- For whatever reason, rentals won't be back next year

So we need to:

- Sell what we can to build a package to get the first overall
- Get all the draft choices we can because we expect to draft further in the next drafts
- Get all the draft choices we can because we expect to be buyers in the next drafts

So Kovalchuk To St-Louis,
Thompson, Cousins, Weale to whoever is hit by injuries
Mete and Domi to better the package

And it's time to play the players of the future.

No we don't. Chiarot might bring some points and his metrics are good but the end result is putrid. Weber with Chiarot allow almost 3 goals per 60 minutes.

Also, your comment about Mete not being the best at his position among the youngsters is a sign you're selling him short and expecting Romanov to be automatically better. We don't know yet and thing is Romanov has a lot to prove to match what Mete has done so far. Mete is a +13 in over a 1000 minutes played with Weber, as a 20-21 years old. Mete is the best addition we've had to the blueline in the last 3 years.

One thing's for sure, if im the GM, my first priority is keeping both Mete and Romanov, unless we can upgrade over one of them in a trade. Don't care for Scandella and Chiarot is best suited for the bottom pairing. He's a defensive liability on the two first pairings.

In 2-3 years, our left side should look like this

Romanov/Mete Weber
Romanov/Mete Petry
Chiarot Fleury

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I don't see Petry moving...Dmen are hard to find, especially guys who can play 24 mins a night, I just don't see the Habs even entertaining the thought of moving him.

Tatar is a different story though, i'd hope Bergevin uses the same kind of logic he used to move Andrew Shaw this past summer.

Petry's going to be a 33 year old player looking for a new contract before the Habs are competitive again. He's the oldest of a large group of players who will need new contracts over the next 2 years.

Dmen are hard to find, yes, but the flip side of that coin is that the return would be great.

If I had to guess, he stays. MB probably thinks they'll be competitive next season.

Reactions: LaP

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Tatar and Petry are real bonafide chances to be dealt. Will they? Not one person on this board can predict what MB will do, his thought process in 8 years, quite often has made no sense.

Would love to see 2 1st round picks coming back, but he has NOT aquired a 1st round pick in 8 years, so??

It's impossible to predict the guy, not even he knows what he is doing!!!

Reactions: BLONG7

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The OP talks about who gets "sold". To me being "sold" means you're traded for prospects/picks/younger players.

It sounds like you're maybe talking about a hockey trade with either of Gallagher, Domi or Danault. That's not exactly the same as 'being sold'.

I agree that Domi/Danault aren't out top 2C going forward - that's a bad sign. Any of Suzuki/Poehling/KK can take either 1 or 2 of those spots. Whether this means Domi is moved to wing, and Danault is bumped to 3C, or both - there are still ways to keep them.

Danault wont be able to be a 3rd line center with his new contract. Not on a contending team having a strong core paid accordingly. Danault's next contract will paint him as a top 6 center. Either a 1st line or deluxe 2nd line it depends on his much greedy he is. But if his agent knows what he is doing Hayes contract should be the target which is high end 2nd line center money.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I said Thompson in the poll. I figure he will go on deadline day for a late pick. I’d like to see additional moves made to bring in prospects/picks for guys like Tatar, and Petry, but don’t see it happening, for some of the reasons mentioned here previously. I also expect Bergevin to pick up his usual depth d-man for a late pick type of move.

Nate Thompson is essential for our playoffs run of next season he wont be traded. He is 100% the type of players both MB and CJ love. Maybe Kovalchuk will be traded if there's a taker. Maybe Cousins and Weal but nobody will want them anyway. MB likes this team. He believes in this team. He'll keep it intact and try to make the playoffs next season where we all know anything is possible. /s

Last edited:
Reactions: Clearedwaivers

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Petry's going to be a 33 year old player looking for a new contract before the Habs are competitive again. He's the oldest of a large group of players who will need new contracts over the next 2 years.

Dmen are hard to find, yes, but the flip side of that coin is that the return would be great.

If I had to guess, he stays. MB probably thinks they'll be competitive next season.

That is what Lebrun apparently said in his Athletic article, which came out earlier today, talking about all 31 teams as the trade deadline approaches. I haven't read the article but they were just discussing it on TSN690 and Marinaro also brought it up earlier this morning and it seems like the Habs aren't really interested in selling much before the deadline which I expected.

You'd think though after missing the playoffs for 3 straight years and 4 out of the last 5 years you would see that even though the team is competitive most games the team is still not good enough and lacks talent to even get into the playoffs. At what point do you admit defeat and see that what you're currently trying to do just isn't working and prepare to try a different direction. At this point it's just insane and madness for Molson to be okay with what's been going on the past 3 or 4 seasons.

If anyone with a sub to the Athletic that could graciously give us an overview of what Lebrun said about the Habs and their deadline approach would be appreciated.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I don't disagree - I just don't think MB is going to put himself into a position where he's scrambling to find a RD.

He had enough troubles finding a passable LD (Scandella).

He's just not that bold.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't disagree - I just don't think MB is going to put himself into a position where he's scrambling to find a RD.

He's just not that bold.

He'll likely have to find a RD no matter what. Petry is not that kind of elite+ talent playing well until he is 40. He'll slow down somewhere in the next 5 years and it can be anytime even next year. Keith is 36 and i don't know if you watched him play the last 2 years and a half but i'm not even sure i would call him a solid top 4 anymore. He's bad.

You keep guys like Petry when you try to win now cause even if they slow down well you try to win now. But if you plan for the next 3 years or so there's no point keeping a guy like Petry he'll more than likely have to be replaced anyway even if we don't trade him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He'll likely have to find a RD no matter what. Petry is not that kind of elite+ talent playing well until he is 40. He'll slow down somewhere in the next 5 years and it can be anytime even next year. Keith is 36 and i don't know if you watched him play the last 2 years and a half but i'm not even sure i would call him top 4 anymore. He's bad.

You keep guys like Petry when you try to win now cause even if they slow down well you try to win now. But if you plan for the next 3 years or so there's no point keeping a guy like Petry he'll more than likely have to be replaced anyway even if we don't trade him.
Again... totally agree but I seriously doubt that's how the GM views things.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

He's just not that bold.

at some point he's going to have to realize that you have to break some eggs to make an omelet.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Scandella for a 3rd
Weal for a 4th
Cousins for a 4th
Thompson for a 3rd
Tartar for a 1st + either a 2nd or a B+ prospect.
Petry (would need a massive overpayment for me to move him because we don't have a top 4 RHD in our system to replace him)

This draft is VERY deep in the top 60, I would also bundles as many 3rd 4th and5th together to get into the top 60.

Our goal should be at least 4-5 picks in the top 60 we have 3 now.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
That is what Lebrun apparently said in his Athletic article, which came out earlier today, talking about all 31 teams as the trade deadline approaches. I haven't read the article but they were just discussing it on TSN690 and Marinaro also brought it up earlier this morning and it seems like the Habs aren't really interested in selling much before the deadline which I expected.

You'd think though after missing the playoffs for 3 straight years and 4 out of the last 5 years you would see that even though the team is competitive most games the team is still not good enough and lacks talent to even get into the playoffs. At what point do you admit defeat and see that what you're currently trying to do just isn't working and prepare to try a different direction. At this point it's just insane and madness for Molson to be okay with what's been going on the past 3 or 4 seasons.

If anyone with a sub to the Athletic that could graciously give us an overview of what Lebrun said about the Habs and their deadline approach would be appreciated.

Lebrun said about Petry that he doubts Bergevin trades him, as they will be trying to compete next year. He mentioned the team being inflicted with injuries this year and if not for it, they would be in the playoffs race. Lebrun also brought up Petry's ice time, which will be hard to replace if traded. He said that Bergevin might be listening to teams for Tatar and pull the trigger if the offer is too good to refuse. So basically, Lebrun thinks we will add a couple of picks by possibly trading Scandella, Thompson and maybe Kovalchuk.

It's f***ing depressing reading the article.

Reactions: montreal

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Nate Thompson is essential for our playoffs run of next season he wont be traded. He is 100% the type of players both MB and CJ love. Maybe Kovalchuk will be traded if there's a taker. Maybe Cousins and Weal but nobody will want them anyway. MB likes this team. He believes in this team. He'll keep it intact and try to make the playoffs next season where we all know anything is possible.

Thompson is a UFA, so in your scenario, you are assuming we try to resign him and he accepts.

If the team really wants Thompson for our playoff run next year (sorry, trying to say that with a straight face) and Thompson loves Montreal, we should still trade him and then try to resign in the summer like we did with Plekanec.

Reactions: zeeto

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Lebrun said about Petry that he doubts Bergevin trades him, as they will be trying to compete next year. He mentioned the team being inflicted with injuries this year and if not for it, they would be in the playoffs race. Lebrun also brought up Petry's ice time, which will be hard to replace if traded. He said that Bergevin might be listening to teams for Tatar and pull the trigger if the offer is too good to refuse. So basically, Lebrun thinks we will add a couple of picks by possibly trading Scandella, Thompson and maybe Kovalchuk.

It's ****ing depressing reading the article.

Thanks for the Lebrun overview. So basically Bergevin is very likely gonna keep the same team together after missing the playoffs for 3 straight years with this group hoping to finally sneak into a playoff spot in year 4 with them. If the current group were a playoff team the past 3 seasons but couldn't get past round one I could maybe understand keeping the group together and adding a piece or 2 for one more shot but this group isn't even a damn playoff team. It's insanity at this point that this will continue on.

Being in no mans land without direction is not a fun place to be man. Urgh..

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Expect the Unexpected , that's what the genius in charge once told us. He'll probably trade Romanov for Subban.

johnpaulws

Jan 24, 2020
Tatar and Petry are real bonafide chances to be dealt.
?

i would be shocked if either are dealt

i really think MB is still believing the habs can make the playoffs,

scary stuff,

he won't sell picks and prospects to try to help the team NOW,

and he won't sell vets to help the team later,

that is how you end up failing year after year,

do SOMETHING........ANYTHING!!

has MB ever aquired another first round pick in 8 years?

thats pathetic and unheard of

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Petry is our most valuable trade piece and absolutely should be moved. We should be able to obtain a 1st and two solid prospects for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad