Who gets no Hart nomination: McDavid, Kucherov, MacKinnon or Matthews?

Who gets no Hart nomination: McDavid, Kucherov, MacKinnon or Matthews?

• McDavid, he has won enough Hart trophies!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kucherov, It's obvious why he's getting left out!

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • MacKinnon, I like the fact that he's getting snubbed. Then I can complain on hfboards...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matthews, His point total is too low, when you got 3 other guys with 140 points

Votes: 98 91.6%
  • Too early to tell...

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • All 4 guys should be nominated this season!

Votes: 6 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
So there can be only 3 guys nominated for the hart trophy per year but this time we have 4 guys putting up really strong seasons. Which one of McDavid, Kucherov, MacKinnon or Matthews is left out?

Why you can't leave out McDavid: McDavid will hit 100+ assists this season. Only Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr have done that before and they were all nominated for the Hart trophy when they did it. McDavid will also most likely pass Orr in assists and be behind only gretzky and Lemieux...

Why you can't leave out Kucherov: Kucherov is pacing for 47+94=141 points. Kucherov is now holding a 45 point lead over his next closest teammate and by the end of the season that will most likely be a 50+ point lead over his next closest teammate. No one else is dominating his team like Kucherov...

Why you can't leave out MacKinnon: Mackinnon is the Canadian media darling this year. Many feel he's been left out before and say he's simply due for a hart trophy. He's also personal friends with Crosby and you know that Crosby is lobbying for MacKinnon to win the Hart trophy behind the scenes. MacKinnon is also pacing for 50+ goals and 140 points. Hard to leave out a guy like that...

Why you can't leave out Matthews: Matthews may have the weakest point total of the 4 guys but he just scored 60 goals for the 2nd time and will most likely score the most goals in a season since 1995-96, with an outside shot at 70 goals still if everything goes right. Plus Matthews is the only player with a diverse background out of the 4 and playing for the Toronto maple leafs always helps to secure a Hart trophy nomination, since most writers who vote come from the Toronto area. Can't leave out your hometown boy if he has a season like Matthews is having right now.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
You forgot a major “why you can’t leave out McDavid”

109 points in his past 54 games while leading his team to a 40-12-2 record.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
You forgot a major “why you can’t leave out McDavid”

109 points in his past 54 games while leading his team to a 40-12-2 record.
Well the list why you can't leave out McDavid is longer than that. He also carried Hyman to 52 goals so far and on top of that he's denying Draisaitl a 3rd straight 50 goal season. But fact is if Kucherov wins the Art Ross, McDavid will be left without a Hart nomination this year...

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Well the list why you can't leave out McDavid is longer than that. He also carried Hyman to 52 goals so far and on top of that he's denying Draisaitl a 3rd straight 50 goal season. But fact is if Kucherov wins the Art Ross, McDavid will be left without a Hart nomination this year...

McDavid will win the Art Ross, but even if he doesn’t, I promise you, the three finalists will be Kucherov, MacKinnon, and McDavid, with MacKinnon likely winning it. It’s practically set in stone at this point.

Matthews will settle for fourth, though there are other more deserving candidates like Panarin.

Reactions: capazzo

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Only shot Matthews has at a nomination is if he scores 70, and even that may not be enough. He'll be 35 points behind the leaders.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
McDavid will win the Art Ross, but even if he doesn’t, I promise you, the three finalists will be Kucherov, MacKinnon, and McDavid, with MacKinnon likely winning it. It’s practically set in stone at this point.

Matthews will settle for fourth, though there are other more deserving candidates like Panarin.
Why are you leaving out Matthews? He's got the strongest case for not being left out! And why are you giving the Hart to MacKinnon?! Shouldn't you be fighting for your boy McDavid?!

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Why are you leaving out Matthews? He's got the strongest case for not being left out! And why are you giving the Hart to MacKinnon?! Shouldn't you be fighting for your boy McDavid?!

Because that’s how it’s going to play out. Can’t let emotion get involved when it comes to a Hart trophy vote that is basically decided by this point.

Matthews is the easiest to leave out of the four because he has the least compelling case.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Because that’s how it’s going to play out. Can’t let emotion get involved when it comes to a Hart trophy vote that is basically decided by this point.

Matthews is the easiest to leave out of the four because he has the least compelling case.
Nothing is decided by this point! It's sad to see you just roll over for Mackinnon and just let him win the Hart trophy without cutting some vicious promos on hfboards about how ridiculous it is! McDavid is gunning for a top 2 spot all time, while MacKinnon will never be seen as anything more than a borderline top 100 player all time. A Hart trophy win does more for McDavid's legacy than it does for MacKinnon's.

And don't you think Kucherov is the easisest to leave out? Only foreigner, bad pr at the all star game this year and generally disliked by most other fan bases...

Reactions: sanscosm

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Nothing is decided by this point! It's sad to see you just roll over for Mackinnon and just let him win the Hart trophy without cutting some vicious promos on hfboards about how ridiculous it is! McDavid is gunning for a top 2 spot all time, while MacKinnon will never be seen as anything more than a borderline top 100 player all time. A Hart trophy win does more for McDavid's legacy than it does for MacKinnon's.

And don't you think Kucherov is the easisest to leave out? Only foreigner, bad pr at the all star game this year and generally disliked by most other fan bases...

McDavid is the Hart winner to me, but it’s not happening. I’m happy he’ll rack up another finalist nomination. Maybe voters will be back in full force next season if he raises the bar again, averages 2 PPG for an entire season, and joins Gretzky and Lemieux in the 165 point club with something like 55 goals and 110 assists.

I like Kucherov, so no, he’s pretty easy to rank ahead of Matthews.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
McDavid is the Hart winner to me, but it’s not happening. I’m happy he’ll rack up another finalist nomination. Maybe voters will be back in full force next season if he raises the bar again, averages 2 PPG for an entire season, and joins Gretzky and Lemieux in the 165 point club with something like 55 goals and 110 assists.

I like Kucherov, so no, he’s pretty easy to rank ahead of Matthews.

He'll win it again next year, he just had a really shitty start to the season relative to his standards - if he got it this year then he'd probably win it every year for the next 5 years (Which probably would be the right way to go about it, but that just won't happen)

To answer the poll, it's got to be Matthews that gets left off unfortunately.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Only shot Matthews has at a nomination is if he scores 70, and even that may not be enough. He'll be 35 points behind the leaders.
Matthews would need closer to 75 goals and 120 points at this point.

Not technically impossible - but very unlikely at this point

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
When will people learn the “nominees “ are just the top 3 voter getters?

It’s not like someone arbitrarily selects 3 and then the voters have to choose between those 3. All will get votes but I believe matthews will finish 4th

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
McDavid is pacing for 110 assist right now with 10 games left. If he hits 103 he has the most assists ever by a person not named Wayne or Mario.

He has and outside chance at catching Mario's best season at 114.

Matthews is pacing for 66 goals. Which is only 2 more than McD last year, with 30+ more points. Great but not historic.

If McDavid wins the Art Ross, which he is now pacing to do and has a historically significant assist total - he should win the Hart.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
When will people learn the “nominees “ are just the top 3 voter getters?

It’s not like someone arbitrarily selects 3 and then the voters have to choose between those 3. All will get votes but I believe matthews will finish 4th

A distinction without a difference. Someone of those four is not finishing top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad