Speculation: Who fits the description and is this player I'm describing good enough to help us win

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
On the trade forum I decided to outline what kind of d-man Edmonton should be looking for and I've come to the conclusion that this is what I want if we're trading one of our prized forwards.

The first 7 characteristics are all mandatory. The player coming to Edmonton must meet all of these criteria.

1: Young enough to compete at a very high level for at least another 4-5 years.
2: Not on a bad contract. Also not on the last year of his contract before becoming a UFA. (In the later case negotiating with the player to sign an extension before the trade obviously makes him a viable option.)
3: Plays big minutes.
4: Matches up well against opposition's best players.
5: Plays effectively in all situations. At this point I think that being better on the PP might be more attractive than being better on the PK because of the types of d-men we have coming up through the system. #1st PP unit 2nd PK unit kind of guy makes sense to me.
6: Is right handed or plays very well on the right side.
7: Is not known to be injury prone.

Am I expecting too much? Too little? Who in your mind fits the criteria?

I don't think the d-man we're looking for needs to have many the following characteristics, but many teams including the Oilers are happy to have these types of guys:

1: Potential to score over 55 points.
2: Likes to fight.
3: Check guys through the boards/glass on a whim.
4: Has won a cup or gold at the olympics.
5: Has won a Noris.
6: Is 6"3 or taller.
7: Is over 220 pounds.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I think you pick 3 or 4 points from your list and you might find said player... If the Oilers are willing to give up value for him.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I think calgary just got the piece we needed to be honest

They were given the piece we needed. I'll always make the distinction, because Calgary did jack **** but wait and watch on the sidelines as they caught the home run with their finger up their ass.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
On the trade forum I decided to outline what kind of d-man Edmonton should be looking for and I've come to the conclusion that this is what I want if we're trading one of our prized forwards.

The first 7 characteristics are all mandatory. The player coming to Edmonton must meet all of these criteria.

2: Not on a bad contract. Also not on the last year of his contract before becoming a UFA. (In the later case negotiating with the player to sign an extension before the trade obviously makes him a viable option.)
5: Plays effectively in all situations. At this point I think that being better on the PP might be more attractive than being better on the PK because of the types of d-men we have coming up through the system. #1st PP unit 2nd PK unit kind of guy makes sense to me.

I don't think the d-man we're looking for needs to have many the following characteristics, but many teams including the Oilers are happy to have these types of guys:

Honestly, Sekera hits almost all of those first 7 points. Number 6 and 7 are a bit debatable I suppose. He's not exactly injury prone, but he's never played a full season. And while he has demonstrated the ability to play on the right, he definitely seems better on the left.

If that is the type of player that you'd be looking for in a trade? If so, I don't think that it is entirely unreasonable. I'm just not sure which teams in the league have a player like that that they are willing to move.

No one (unless you're the Bruins apparently) wants to give up a top pairing d-man.

Maybe the Blues would move on from Bouwmeester provided the right deal. That's the only one I can see because they might be looking for more offensive oomph up front and potentially might want more changes. But he doesn't play on the right. And isn't a PP option.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Honestly, Sekera hits almost all of those first 7 points. Number 6 and 7 are a bit debatable I suppose. He's not exactly injury prone, but he's never played a full season. And while he has demonstrated the ability to play on the right, he definitely seems better on the left.

If that is the type of player that you'd be looking for in a trade? If so, I don't think that it is entirely unreasonable. I'm just not sure which teams in the league have a player like that that they are willing to move.

No one (unless you're the Bruins apparently) wants to give up a top pairing d-man.

Maybe the Blues would move on from Bouwmeester provided the right deal. That's the only one I can see because they might be looking for more offensive oomph up front and potentially might want more changes. But he doesn't play on the right. And isn't a PP option.

Yup. We have a lot of what we need in Sekera, but we need another one.

I really want to believe that Jones will be available from Nashville in the future.

People talk about Weber, but Nashville is never going to let go of him because of the 7M in signing bonuses they've paid out over the past seasons.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm severely lacking in imagination if the names Hamilton and Jones are the only two players that come to mind when it comes to meeting the criteria. Well I guess another point in the criteria is that the team owning the player could afford to let go of the player.

JayTam

Apr 20, 2014
Hamburg, Germany

This screams Brent Burns... *wannahave*

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Bogosian, Faulk, Ekblad, Subban, Larsson, Carlson
Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Trouba, Hamilton

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This screams Brent Burns... *wannahave*

Well to be honest Brent Burns does a good job of filling the first criteria and he also fits a lot of the second one as well.

I think we could be waiting a long time if we're hoping to get someone who fits both criteria. I'm very concerned about the first one.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Bogosian, Faulk, Ekblad, Subban, Larsson, Carlson
Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Trouba, Hamilton

Can we label Bogosian injury prone?

He averages 69 games per season. 66 if you don't include his rookie season. 65 if you don't include his first 2 seasons.

I'd agree with the rest of the list, though. That's kind of saddening because I don't think any of them would be available.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The best chance of getting this player is Klefbom, Nurse or Reinhart turning into one, because nobody will trade you Pietrangelo or MacDonagh.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Sounds like you've described every defenseman who signed for 5-6 million in the last 24 months.

Petry
Sekera
Niskanen
Orpik
Boychuk
Leddy
Stralman

The only notable difference from your list is if one is a LHD or a RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad