Who finishes higher in the overall standings?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Sabres.

Oilers finish 2nd last overall and win the Draft Lottery.

Auston Matthews........come on down!

Ohhhh man, if this happened, the Oilers board may have to be shut down for a week prior to the draft.

The trolls are already pissed enough about McDavid.

Another bottom 1-5 finish and they would have a field day in here.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I went with Buffalo, simply because they're in the east. If it was who is the better team, I'd say the Oilers, easily.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
So if we beat Buffalo in the standings, does that mean we should plan the parade route?

Just wondering.

:D

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The history of these pre season polls for this forum are pretty sad, we should stay away from them.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Havent we learned our lesson with these stupid polls?

Wasnt it last year we had one about who would finish ahead Oilers or Flames and it was virtually unanimous that it was totally impossible for the Flames to finish ahead of the Oil. The only thing these polls show is how stupid we as a group are.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Edmonton has the better team on paper. Better coaching and management... Weird saying that.

But Buffalo is in the east.

They well could do better than the Oilers but I can't help but vote The Oilers.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Sabres.

Oilers finish 2nd last overall and win the Draft Lottery.

Auston Matthews........come on down!

You will never be satisfied with tanking. I swear I see you make this post every year and it seems you just want to see the team lose forever just to dream about the next super prospect joining the Oilers.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
You will never be satisfied with tanking. I swear I see you make this post every year and it seems you just want to see the team lose forever just to dream about the next super prospect joining the Oilers.

2017 NHL Entry Draft:

Nolan Patrick.....come on down!

You're the next contestant on the Edmonton Oilers first overall picks game staring familiar faces such as:

Taylor Hall/Ryan Nugent Hopkins/Nail Yakupov/Connor McDavid/Auston Matthews

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Sabres. I think the teams skill wise are pretty close, and being in the EC helps them out. Hopefully I'm wrong but I can see them being 5-10 points ahead of us.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It's tough.

EDM has the better top end talent in D and talent/depth in F and goaltending, and I'd give a cautious edge to Buffalo's depth in D.

Bu-hut, Buffalo gets to play the grand majority of its games in the Eastern Conference, while we get the Western Conference...

Exactly. I mean EDM last year with their AHL roster won a majority of their W's against the East. And they were very close, even games where they actually played better than the opposition for many of them. Besides Tampa and maybe Washington who has improved alot, there is a huge drop off.

Then you have "top teams" like Montreal who got slaughtered against the West. They were barely .500 and it was all because of Price. Even EDM gave them a run for their money.

If only the Oil were in the East. :cry::cry:

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

In all seriousness, there are two players in next year's draft that I wouldn't mind for the Oilers to draft if the team doesn't play well for the year. The two players are Max Jones and Jakob Chychrun.

Top 6 Power Forward:Max Jones
Top Pairing Defenseman:Jakob Chychrun

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In all seriousness, there are two players in next year's draft that I wouldn't mind for the Oilers to draft if the team doesn't play well for the year. The two players are Max Jones and Jakob Chychrun.

Top 6 Power Forward:Max Jones
Top Pairing Defenseman:Jakob Chychrun

If they are just as bad next year the entire rebuild is basically defunct. The core of Hall/RNH/Eberle/Yak is then a failure. Dismantle it entirely and rebuild around McDavid solely.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
If they are just as bad next year the entire rebuild is basically defunct. The core of Hall/RNH/Eberle/Yak is then a failure. Dismantle it entirely and rebuild around McDavid solely.

It's showing year after year what happens when a team drafts solely on Top Forwards and shows minimal attention towards constructing the defense.

Edmonton Oilers:

Forwards=Playoff team level
Defense=Lottery team level

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
If the Oilers ever end up winning the draft lottery again, they need to trade the first overall pick. This one was a generational player and filled a spot we needed, but Matthews is no McDavid and is also a centre (we no longer need that position).

Hopefully we won't suck that badly anymore, but if we do, I'm sure Arizona could use the pick and we could snag someone from them.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
If the Oilers ever end up winning the draft lottery again, they need to trade the first overall pick. This one was a generational player and filled a spot we needed, but Matthews is no McDavid and is also a centre (we no longer need that position).

Hopefully we won't suck that badly anymore, but if we do, I'm sure Arizona could use the pick and we could snag someone from them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Oilers trade RNH if we were to draft Matthews.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Exactly. I mean EDM last year with their AHL roster won a majority of their W's against the East. And they were very close, even games where they actually played better than the opposition for many of them. Besides Tampa and maybe Washington who has improved alot, there is a huge drop off.

Then you have "top teams" like Montreal who got slaughtered against the West. They were barely .500 and it was all because of Price. Even EDM gave them a run for their money.

If only the Oil were in the East. :cry::cry:

That's our advantage! I spite of having say an average overall them the west is so tough we will still get a high draft pick. We are the only team beside Az rebuilding on this side. = future power house

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Ohhhh man, if this happened, the Oilers board may have to be shut down for a week prior to the draft.

The trolls are already pissed enough about McDavid.

Another bottom 1-5 finish and they would have a field day in here.

Well the West is ridiculously stacked right now, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility if they do again. But as long as they are competitive and Talbot doesn't let in a million soft goals like Scrivens did last season, they should easily stay out of the bottom 5. :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad