Who do you want the Canes to draft?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
With the lottery now complete and the draft just over a month away, I figured it was time for 2 polls. The first (this one) is who do you WANT the Canes to draft with their 1st pick. The 2nd one, which I'll post in a week or so will be who we THINK they will draft.

For this poll, I am eliminating the guys that we have virtually no chance of getting: Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Dubois, Nylander. Even though I wouldn't be surprised if one of the defensemen fell, I'm excluding them to keep this simpler as well. A few of these guys may not make it to us either but it's hard to tell. I know a lot of people think 1 or all of Keller, Jost and Brown won't be there, but some think one of them will. If you think a player won't be there at 13, then don't choose him with your poll choice:

I'm using a combination of McKenzie's list (1st) and ISS(2nd) for gus 10-18 for the choices:

Keller
Jost
Bean
Brown
McAvoy
McLeod
Jones
Bellows
Rubstov
Kunin
Other
Will Trade the pick

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Bellows. I think his natural goal scoring ability might be getting lost in the shuffle.

I'm not nearly as informed on these prospects as others, but that's kinda my view also. I think teams may take Jost, Keller and Brown before the Canes pick also.

With another pick at 21, two 2nds, 3 thirds, I really don't want RF playing it safe at 13.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Brown vs. Bellows would be a tough choice. Doesn't sound like that'll be an option though.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'm voting Keller. If he drops to the Canes pick it is only because of his size and competition. Legit top-5 talent in most Drafts. However, I don't see Keller dropping and Bellows has grown on me. At this point he would be my 2nd choice above Brown, Jost, and McLeod but they are all close.

As an aside I don't think it is impossible that Nylander drops to the Canes pick. That would be my "big surprise" type fall that happens at a lot of Drafts. Some combination of 4+ D taken before #13 (Bean, Fabbro, and McAvoy are all candidates), Euro going earlier than expected (Rubstov or Asplund), position coming into play (Alex is a winger), and teams falling in love with size and recent performances (Brown, Jost, Keller).

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Really want Jost but he seems to be climbing the boards too much and I'll think he'll be gone.

So my pick is Bellows. Honestly, I'd probably be more stoked about him if he didn't have a former NHLer for a father. You don't know what wheels have been greased for him along the way that other kids don't get.

But from everything I've read he sounds really similar to an Erik Cole type, quasi-power forward with wheels, but he's supposed to have actual scoring touch. There's a ton of upside there if he can reach it. I don't see him as a center though he sounds like a pure wing prospect.

Actually after watching that video I'm a little more enamored. He has a really unique wrist/snap shot. Heavy, but with a quick release and he can really lift it when he needs to. That part of his game looks easily NHL caliber right now.

Last edited:

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
If two of them were there at #13, what do you add to #21 to move up to a team like Detroit's pick? Would you be willing to add the NYR 2nd(50)

Only real example from last year was #29 + #61 for #24

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Jones, as much as I like the guy, is more what I'm hoping is there at #21... him or Kunin

I haven't tried my hands at a mock yet this year, it's kindof all over the place.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Brown vs. Bellows would be a tough choice. Doesn't sound like that'll be an option though.

You can never tell who teams fall in love with. Skinner was pretty much predicted to go in the 10-15 range and ended up at #7 and turned out to be a pretty good pick vs. who was picked around him. And it was really because he was viewed as one of the best goal scorers in the draft. A lot of the "pundits" have Jost, Keller and Brown all gone by the time the Canes pick but I wouldn't be surprised if Bellows goes higher because someone falls in love with his goal scoring ability, much like the Canes did with Skinner.

I hope not, but it's pretty wide open. The good news (from the little I know about these guys) is that unless 1 of the D slips (which they could), one of Jost, Brown, Keller of Bellows should be there at #13. On the flipside, if the D goes sooner than we think and someone really likes Bean or McAvoy, then a couple of them could be there.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I like this Bellows highlight package to show his complete game. They didn't just put together scoring plays. It's a bit more comprehensive look at his game,.

He can really hit those corners from any area of the slot. I like his physical game and would be interested to see how nasty he gets at the NHL level. I don't think you can go wrong picking a player with his build, physicality, instincts, and shot

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
In our spot at #13, I would be very happy with any of Bellows, Brown, Jost, or Keller. I'd also be fine with Kunin, McLeod or Rubstov, though I think two of them may be available at the #21 pick, so I'd prefer to wait on them if one of the first four is available. I picked Bellows in the poll, but if I had to rank the guys on this list as to who I'd want to pick, not BPA, I'd go:

1. Jost
  2. Bellows
  3. Keller
  4. Brown
  5. Rubstov
  6. Kunin
  7. McLeod
  8. Jones
  9. D-men

Only reason I picked Bellows in the poll over Jost is that I just don't see him being available at that point. He's got to be a lock for a top 10 pick at this point. Maybe ahead of Nylander.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
I like Keller or Bellows. Jost would be fine, but think he will be gone. At #21 it's too hard to think who will be left there.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I like Keller or Bellows. Jost would be fine, but think he will be gone. At #21 it's too hard to think who will be left there.

Names I'm looking for at #21:

Gauthier, Jones, Rubtsov, Asplund, Kunin, Tufte, Thompson, there's literally no chance that we don't get the shot at 1 (if not more) of them shy of the dmen this draft taking that most ridiculous freefall I've ever seen.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Names I'm looking for at #21:

Gauthier, Jones, Rubtsov, Asplund, Kunin, Tufte, Thompson, there's literally no chance that we don't get the shot at 1 (if not more) of them shy of the dmen this draft taking that most ridiculous freefall I've ever seen.

We end our notes this month with a little rant about how NHL clubs often outsmart themselves. Exhibit A: 6-5, 185-pound University of Connecticut winger Tage Thompson will, inexplicably, be a first-round selection this June. Exhibit B: Sublimely skilled, but tiny, wingers Vitali Abramov (5-9) and Alex DeBrincat (5-7) will, most likely, not be first-round selections in Buffalo.

In the case of Thompson, it seems all the NHL sees a big player who scored 14 goals in 36 games as a true freshman playing against older, more experienced talent. And all of that is true.

It’s also true that he scored one goal all season at even strength, with the other 13 coming on the power play, courtesy of the creative passing ability of highly skilled center Maxim Letunov, a second-round pick by St. Louis in 2014. Thompson is a poor skater who never uses his size to hit anyone; in fact, he can’t get to battle areas quick enough to make meaningful hits. He was also -14 in the plus/minus stats — a pretty accurate representation of his defensive abilities.

USA Today

I think I'll pass on Thompson at #21...

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Prefer Bellows, Brown or Keller. Would be ok with Jost or Rubstov, also. Kunin or McLeod to a slightly lesser degree. All in that order, I think.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
As many have stated already, I choose Bellows with the assumption that Jost and Brown are gone at #13.

If either Luke Kunin or Julien Gauthier are available at #21, I'd take either one in that order. If GMRF were so inclined as to trade up the LA pick by 3 spots, I'd take Max Jones.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
DeBrincat is one of the players I am most unsure about prior to the 2nd round. If he's still there when we pick (he won't be) then we take him without hesitation. Rocco Grimaldi vibe there. In fantasy hockey, maybe you take him a little earlier. But his bust potential is so high I can't justify taking him with a 1st round pick. Though, if we did, this would be the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad