Who do you want in the slot?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
These guys were all known for it.

Espo - try to leave the Orr influence out of it and make it about Espo

Kerr - guy was a force in the mid to late 80s.. seemed huge out there

Ciccarelli -was always in front

Andreychuk - big guy who planted himself and scored tons of garbage goals)

Holmstrom - the most notable modern guy I can think off off hand

Last edited:

BlackDog13

Jun 4, 2010
PA
Espo. The slashes, digs and chops seemed to slide right off him and the proof is reflected in his stats.

Still put up very respectable numbers later in his career, on poor teams without Orr.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
I took Holmström. Granted it is a bit biased but this is the only thing he can do. He was born in the slot and got hit with a slapshot from the blueline and deflected it with his knee cap into the goal.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I took Kerr just for nostalgia sake and the lack of recognition he gets. :)

Bossy really isn't in the same category as these other guys in my mind.

Starchild74

Aug 27, 2009
I could be wrong but to me when you talk about the slot and scoring from the slot. It is not about garbage goals or what guys like Holmstrom, Ciccarelli, Smyth etc.. do. To me it means what Bossy, Hull, Robitaille, etc... To a degree Ciccarelli too as not all his goals were in front of the net.

See to me the slot is that area between the faceoff circles where the shooter is probably the most dangerous. The open area in a defensive scheme or when on a power play right in the middle of the PK's box. That is the slot to me. Guys like Holmstrom make their living at the edge of the crease. TO me that is not the slot so maybe I am being too picky but some of the guys in this poll do not belong

That is the reason I picked Espositio he had a wicked shot and when he got the puck in the slot it usually ended up in the net

Now if you want to make a poll about muckers or players who made their living just outside the crease then that would be cool

Now of course how I describe the term slot might not be acurate as maybe today it means right in front of the net. I don't know I just know that Mike Bossy scored alot of his goals in the slot.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Although I get where Starchild74 is coming from, I have the opposite notion. Guys like Bossy where dangerous from anywhere in the offensive zone. When I think "dangerous in the slot" I think of Espo and then the rest of the guys the OP mentions.

In the old scouting books they used to have diagrams of where a given player scored the majority of his goals. With players like the ones originally mentioned, the diagram showed just a bunch of short little lines all originating in or around the slot.

Maybe though, in order to satisfy both the OP and Starchild74, the question should be "who do you want if you *need* a garbage goal?"

Again, Espo.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
At first blush i thought Tim Kerr as well, well that was after Bossy.

Espo is probably the obvious choice for career and the other 3 guys in the poll don't compare to Espo and Kerr IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad