• Peca

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
The thing with Gallant teams that intrigues me is that the last 2 teams he's coached have either gotten better or remained good after he left.

So it seems to me like he gets the most out of his guys.....teaches them how to win, and those lessons last and the teams have success.

I'm a bit worried about how he'd do with the kids, but we know he'd teach them to play the right way.
Very good point. Vegas did go on the win the cup and the Rangers are still a wagon.

Idk, I just want the next coach to be "the guy" for more then 2-3 years. I'm tired of the constant coaching carousel

Reactions: Digable5

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Exactly - I think Cheese could be great, but we can't have a first-timer right now. I wouldn't mind bringing him in as an AC. So, then, who do you have for HC right now?

If I look at all of the vet types out there, I lean toward Julien honestly. They need structure and defensive accountability. I have concerns about all of the retreads but he sticks out as a guy who instilled a lot into the Bruins that they still benefit from to this day.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
If I look at all of the vet types out there, I lean toward Julien honestly. They need structure and defensive accountability. I have concerns about all of the retreads but he sticks out as a guy who instilled a lot into the Bruins that they still benefit from to this day.
I'd be fine with that. It's a good point.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Anyone have any thoughts on McLellan or Woodcroft? I'm surprised how infrequently McLellan's name is mentioned.

McLellan is sort of like Julien-lite. He gets a lot of defensive structure and has shown he can't adapt based on all three of his terms with the Kings, Sharks and Oilers.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Gallant doesn't have a lot of vets to turn to with Buffalo. It's almost all kids. And a coach who essentially is setting himself and others on fire for a couple years? I'm good with that as long as his assistants for special teams are quality. That isn't usually his best area, delegates that to others IIRC.
The interesting thing here is- if Gallant is hired- he and Adams would need to be in the same page. I'd have to imagine he'd want some veteran hard nosed players to lean on in crunch time and use to physically body teams in the playoffs. I'm intrigued by the idea. More so than I am about Ruff.

Right now, I've got a 1A and a 1B -- Boudreau and Gallant.

I think Gallant is better at Xs and Os than BB, but BB is better with people while still getting the most out of his guys.
Dang it. I knew i forgot someone!

Jay McKee. But it isn't time to go first timer again.
I'll raise you Gallant w/McKee as an assistant!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The interesting thing here is- if Gallant is hired- he and Adams would need to be in the same page. I'd have to imagine he'd want some veteran hard nosed players to lean on in crunch time and use to physically body teams in the playoffs. I'm intrigued by the idea. More so than I am about Ruff.

They need to look at what constitutes their lower lines. Having a group that can shut down their opposite number is one path. Having a line that can draw the team and crowd into games is another. I suspect Gallant would want both.

Dang it. I knew i forgot someone!

I'll raise you Gallant w/McKee as an assistant!

I've heard a couple times that McKee is on Staois short list for the Sens job, especially with his ties to the new owner being his OHL owner.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
They need to look at what constitutes their lower lines. Having a group that can shut down their opposite number is one path. Having a line that can draw the team and crowd into games is another. I suspect Gallant would want both.

I've heard a couple times that McKee is on Staois short list for the Sens job, especially with his ties to the new owner being his OHL owner.
And we know he's not going to tell the players to shy away from physical play, though Im still dumbfounded Granato employed that philosophy.

The more I think about it, the more I'd be happy to have him. He may not bring us to the promiseland, but I believe he'd instill the right type of mindset in this squad. And, to be fair, he coached a true contender that wasn't supposed to do squat, so I think the players ears would perk up when he speaks.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't get the berube love.
Why not? He has experience, he won cup and I liked the way St. Louis fought in the playoffs, it's not all Binnington's doing. He even seemed to lead Philly to the playoffs before St. Louis. He had Thomas and Kyrou, two young forwards, developing well. It matches everything Adams said at the press conference.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't get the berube love.

What is love?

Screenshot_20240417_145511_Google.jpg

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
This is from a conversation I had with a nephew about Ruff…

“It’s not a bad choice, not my first choice but if it’s lindy we know he’s a real, experienced, legit nhl coach so that would be a first since he was fired over a decade ago. As long as they bring in a real coach, I’m ok”

It’s been an awful ten years, there can’t be another first time coach this time. We need experience, not just for the players but to re-legitimize the franchise.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
In the case of coach Q, was it guilt by association or was he involved in the cover up?
He's probably the best coach but I don't want to taint the Sabres.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
In the case of coach Q, was it guilt by association or was he involved in the cover up?
He's probably the best coach but I don't want to taint the Sabres.
I agree Quenneville would be the best candidate but whether you think his actions in Chicago were just or not, I can't see Terry allowing that to happen.

Reactions: HaNotsri

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Zero interest in the dinosaur Julien; he very nearly destroyed Cole Caufield and would likely suffocate our players

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I agree Quenneville would be the best candidate but whether you think his actions in Chicago were just or not, I can't see Terry allowing that to happen.
I don't know enough about it but I think how you win is more important than winning.
Supporting a team is also about supporting a community and shared values.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
This is from a conversation I had with a nephew about Ruff…

“It’s not a bad choice, not my first choice but if it’s lindy we know he’s a real, experienced, legit nhl coach so that would be a first since he was fired over a decade ago. As long as they bring in a real coach, I’m ok”

It’s been an awful ten years, there can’t be another first time coach this time. We need experience, not just for the players but to re-legitimize the franchise.
Are you my uncle????????

I said nearly this exact quote at Easter lol

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I'd go off the board

NO FORMER PLAYERS making roster and ice time decisions due to what we now know about concussions.

I'd go with an in game manager position and not a head coach. Someone who is part of the management team. He'd be responsible for the nightly lineup and benching, but would not install the Xs and Os. If he technically had to be head coach due to NHL rules, fine. I'd want someone with a very strong analytic background to have this position, not a retread meathead

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Zero interest in the dinosaur Julien; he very nearly destroyed Cole Caufield and would likely suffocate our players

Because he wants guys to play at both ends of the rink? Hell, Gallant is like that too and what he asked Laffy to do is part of why Laffy is so good now with being good off puck instead of always being the handler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad