Who do you want after Hanifin

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Just curious, there has been so much talk about McDavid then Eichel. The consensus also seems to be
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Hanifin

So lets just assume every wants those guys in that order (which may not be true) who do you want after that?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It would be so typical Oilers to draft 4th and then everyone will go "Did they draft the right guy?" or "They should've drafted this guy instead, why didn't they do that?" :laugh:

It's really tough honestly. All of Marner, Strome and Provorov have had terrific seasons. I don't think I'll be able to make up my mind until after the playoffs.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It would be so typical Oilers to draft 4th and then everyone will go "Did they draft the right guy?" or "They should've drafted this guy instead, why didn't they do that?" :laugh:

It's really tough honestly. All of Marner, Strome and Provorov have had terrific seasons. I don't think I'll be able to make up my mind until after the playoffs.

We'll get criticized for whoever we draft. It happened with Bennett and Drasaitl. Now it'll happen between Strome, Marner, Provorov, Werenski.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Strome / Marner for me. I think there is a good chance that Kylington will slide Pitts pick.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Trade the pick to TO for their pick and Nashville pick. Come out of the 1st round with Provorov, Kylington and Svechnikov.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I voted Strome but I wouldn't be unhappy if they traded down and took Provorov or even took Provorov without trading down. We need another end D man in the worst way. Strome is good too and big but needs to be faster.

Either way, I think both guys are not on the team next year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The Oilers need to build to combat the big Western Conference.

I fully believe with our roster, if we were in the East we would have been a playoff bubble team maybe even with Eakins at the helm. Our roster is no where near as bad as some people on these boards think.

Scrivens and Fasthe were both considered legit 1b options when we signed them. Our putrid defense, systems, Eakins, combined with the brute like western conference shreds this team.

Last year if we took the 100% legit BOP it would have been Bennet. Leon well could be the better player but based off most scouting reports Bennet was the very slightly better prospect. Going off the board for a bigger guy that can still play a skill game IS required to succeed.

I would actually prefer Eichel over McDavid for this reason. I would still draft McDavid but I would prefer the heavy game of an Eichel based on what Edmonton needs.

Hanifin doesn't suit our needs at all, were stocked on the left side and he plays a less than heavy style. Also most likely any defenseman we draft will not be able to help the Oilers win in the next 3 years which is currently the window we need to hit before our big players start playing for someone else.

A that was a long winded of saying the following.

Preference size over skill as long as its close.

Preference of center over winger cause you can always play a center on the wing if needs be.

If a defenseman MUST be a right handed shooter with size.

I would probably go with Strome for those reasons. Kinda sounds a little too like Leon but I don't think you can ever have too many skilled centers with size.

Two years down the road having

RNH
Leon
Strome
Lander

Certainly sounds awesome.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
1. McDavid 2. Eichel 3. Hanifin 4. Provorov 5. Strome 6. Marner

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Yes let's see what these players do in extended play (playoffs or whatever).

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
would put werenski in the poll over crouse... but my order

strome, marner, provorov......crouse

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
1. McDavid 2. Eichel 3. Hanifin 4. Provorov 5. Strome 6. Marner

Accurate. Ideally I'd want Provorov if Hanifin is gone.

I'd still assume we draft 3rd.

If we keep all our picks, I'd be incredibly happy if we went Hanifin-Meier-Blackwood-Gropp/Marsh.

No Crouse. Unless he drops to Pit 1st.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think you got to take Strome/Marner (depends who has a better playoffs, it is that close). you got to take the best player available, I know we need D, but it doesn't matter BPA. That being said Provorov is deadly too, but I will go with the consensus all year which is Strome/Marner.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Just wanted to throw this out there, but anyone in the Edmonton area should go check out Provorov when the Wheaties are in town for the playoffs on the 29th and 31st. He's extremely impressive to watch in person. For me it'd be between him and Strome if Hanifin is gone.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I'm happy with Strome or Provorov or whatever the hell his name is. I want an impact centre or D prospect out of this draft and I think both of these two guys have the potential to be the best consolation prizes in the draft. I'm really nervous we pick Crouse over one of these guys, that would be a catastrophe.

I think once Strome and LD develop we run into a nice embarrassment of riches problem where one can be moved to fill a place of weakness. The same goes for a D core loaded with Klefa, Marincin, Nurse, Provorov, and Schultz.

Oct 30, 2011
I think we should take Marner.

We don't have a plethora of supremely talented prospects in our system, especially with his combination of speed and creativity.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think we should take Marner.

We don't have a plethora of supremely talented prospects in our system, especially with his combination of speed and creativity.

Ya, well after Strome had 6 points today I'm willing to call it a tie. See how they do in the playoffs, but way to many are disregarding MArner when he is alot of what we need. We could use another high skilled winger. For the record he isn't even that small. I think he would slot in great with yak and drai in the future. That gives you two deadly top two lines.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad