Who do you think will be the Selke finalists?

Selke finalists for the 2020-21 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I don't know which forwards have been among the best defensively this season, so I just included some players who have been getting a lot of Selke votes over the last few seasons...

Some basic stats for this season;
PlayerGPPts+/-
Sidney Crosby4956+9
Mark Stone4653+26
Aleksander Barkov4552+9
Anze Kopitar4646-1
Ryan O'Reilly4645+21
Patrice Bergeron4741+25
Sean Couturier3835-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The poll options are listed alphabetically by last name.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Man what Barkov is doing with the level of linemates he plays with is just so incredible!
I honestly don’t see how he’s not the run away winner this year.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Selke tends to go to defensive name players having what is seen as good seasons, which tend to be partially influenced by their production and team success. Barkov has been really good defensively this year after some down years, and I think the attention from his offensive numbers and Florida finally taking it up a notch will push him to be the winner after several years as a high finisher. I voted Stone as a finalist for much the same reason, though as a winger it might not be the case. I think Bergeron will also likely take a spot because he's Bergeron, he's widely considered the best in the league, has been top 3 for 9 years in a row, and there's nothing in his obvious numbers that would suggest he should fall out.

I think Crosby and O'Reilly will probably round out the top 5, with one possibly taking a finalist spot from Stone. The same top 5 from '18-19 but a different order. Couturier will fall out of the top 5 due to Philly's defensive struggles moreso than his individual play.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I figure that Barkov and Stone are givens. I also give a slight edge to O'Reilly over Bergeron, assuming St. Louis makes the playoffs at this point.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Thinking Stone wins, Vegas gunning for the Presidents trophy and he's nuts on D right now while also being no slouch offensively. Between him and Barkov IMO.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Selke tends to go to defensive name players having what is seen as good seasons, which tend to be partially influenced by their production and team success. Barkov has been really good defensively this year after some down years, and I think the attention from his offensive numbers and Florida finally taking it up a notch will push him to be the winner after several years as a high finisher. I voted Stone as a finalist for much the same reason, though as a winger it might not be the case. I think Bergeron will also likely take a spot because he's Bergeron, he's widely considered the best in the league, has been top 3 for 9 years in a row, and there's nothing in his obvious numbers that would suggest he should fall out.

I think Crosby and O'Reilly will probably round out the top 5, with one possibly taking a finalist spot from Stone. The same top 5 from '18-19 but a different order. Couturier will fall out of the top 5 due to Philly's defensive struggles moreso than his individual play.

Stone is having a better defensive season than Barkov. More takeaways, better GAA, +/- of +27 to Barkov's +9, best defensive forward on the stingiest defensive team in the league. Though Barkov does have more hits--Stone is more a take your puck away from you kind of guy. OH, and Stone and Barkov are neck and neck in total points, with Stone today at 1.19 PPG vs Barkov's 1.15. I don't think that should be a factor, but it always seems to be.

Not that he'll WIN this name recognition contest, of course, but suggesting that Crosby would displace Stone is laughable.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I figure that Barkov and Stone are givens. I also give a slight edge to O'Reilly over Bergeron, assuming St. Louis makes the playoffs at this point.

I believe StL will make the playoffs. They are currently in by 3 points with 3 games in hand and Arizona's runway is getting pretty short.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Stone is having a better defensive season than Barkov. More takeaways, better GAA, +/- of +27 to Barkov's +9, best defensive forward on the stingiest defensive team in the league. Though Barkov does have more hits--Stone is more a take your puck away from you kind of guy. OH, and Stone and Barkov are neck and neck in total points, with Stone today at 1.19 PPG vs Barkov's 1.15. I don't think that should be a factor, but it always seems to be.

Not that he'll WIN this name recognition contest, of course, but suggesting that Crosby would displace Stone is laughable.

You're arguing for who should win not who will, which is what the thread is about. There's been a lot of talk about how good Barkov has been this year, moreso than Stone from what I've seen, and I think that will translate into votes whether or not he's the most deserving.

Regardless, in terms of actually limiting chances against relative to team and competition, Barkov has been better than Stone this year. Goals against and plus minus are heavily influenced by goaltending and takeaways are a small portion of defense.

As for Crosby, again, the thread is about votes. Crosby, like in 18-19, has very good suppression numbers, and while I think they're more the result of his puck possession and deployment rather than straight up defensive ability, there's certainly a narrative that he's still near the top of the league due to his overall game, despite his offense slipping. Voters have shown they love Crosby, and with the Pens resurgence after a slow start, despite missing Malkin, I think he'll get a lot of credit for that in the Selke race, where he had a large push in 18-19 as well, with a smattering of votes for the Hart as well.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
You're arguing for who should win not who will, which is what the thread is about. There's been a lot of talk about how good Barkov has been this year, moreso than Stone from what I've seen, and I think that will translate into votes whether or not he's the most deserving.

Regardless, in terms of actually limiting chances against relative to team and competition, Barkov has been better than Stone this year. Goals against and plus minus are heavily influenced by goaltending and takeaways are a small portion of defense.

As for Crosby, again, the thread of about votes. Crosby, like in 18-19, has very good suppression numbers, and while I think they're more the result of his puck possession and deployment rather than straight up defensive ability, there's certainly a narrative that he's still near the top of the league despite his offense slipping due to his overall game. Voters have shown they love Crosby, and with the Pens resurgence after a slow start despite missing Malkin, I think he'll get a lot of credit for that both in the Selke and even get some Hart votes thrown his way, regardless of how deserving he is.

I'll bet you a team shotglass Stone is in the Top 5 and Crosby isn't.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Why would I do that when I never argued that that was the most likely outcome?
"I think Crosby and O'Reilly will probably round out the top 5, with one possibly taking a finalist spot from Stone. "

"Regardless, in terms of actually limiting chances against relative to team and competition, Barkov has been better than Stone this year. Goals against and plus minus are heavily influenced by goaltending and takeaways are a small portion of defense."

Incidentally, the closest stat we have to shots given up to opponents is Corsi Against, where Stone is running 32% and Barkov is running 38%. That stat is not influenced by goaltender performance, with the exception that a better goaltender may give up fewer rebounds and thus fewer second chance shots.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
I think it's between Stone and Barkov at this point. Bergeron as usual deserves to be mentioned within top-3 or top-4.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
"I think Crosby and O'Reilly will probably round out the top 5, with one possibly taking a finalist spot from Stone. "

"Regardless, in terms of actually limiting chances against relative to team and competition, Barkov has been better than Stone this year. Goals against and plus minus are heavily influenced by goaltending and takeaways are a small portion of defense."

Incidentally, the closest stat we have to shots given up to opponents is Corsi Against, where Stone is running 32% and Barkov is running 38%. That stat is not influenced by goaltender performance, with the exception that a better goaltender may give up fewer rebounds and thus fewer second chance shots.

Of course, I am aware that the real problem here is that Stone plays on the West Coast, so most people arguing for Barkov, and those who will vote for him, hardly watch him play. So yes, I am arguing what should be, not what will be. Stone gives me that sigh of relief that they won't score this shift, I don't get that feeling when Barkov is on ice.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

My post says very clearly that I voted for Stone to be a likely finalist but he's the one I'm least confident in and that he might be replaced by one of Crosby or ROR in the top 3. I never said Crosby is more likely to be a finalist nor did I say anything about Stone falling out of the top 5.

I'm not sure what you mean by 32 and 38 percent corsi against. Barkov gives up fewer CA/60, SA/60, xGA/60, SCA/60, and HDCA/60, and has better regression numbers for xGA and CA. The Knights give up more corsi and shots when Stone is on the ice than not, while the Panthers give up far fewer with Barkov on the ice, though Stone limits high danger chances and expected goals against well, and has slightly better relative numbers compared to Barkov in those two metrics. Both are excellent players having great seasons. I really don't care who's better, but I'm quite confident Barkov will have more votes at the end of the year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I wondered if anyone would mention Marchand; he's finished top 10 in votes (ninth and tenth) twice in the last three seasons.

I don't see Marchand ever getting serious recognition for the Selke while he plays with Bergeron. Not sure how fair or not that is, but it just is a reality.

I'm sure he may get votes, and maybe a top 10 or so finish can be expected, but he'll never contend for a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad