Who do you think will be the next starting goalie for the Sharks in 2015-2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akirayeung

May 19, 2015
Toronto
I think we can all assume that Niemi's run with the Sharks is all but over now. So who is going to take his place? Stalock is still pretty unproven as he had a pretty weak year in the 2014-2015 campaign. So who do you think Doug Wilson will have as the new starting goaltender? He said he was looking for a goalie who was between the ages of 26-28. And reports say he has asked about the status of Robin Lehner. In my opinion, I would like to see Eddie Lack as the Sharks new starting goaltender. He's 27 years old and he only has a year left on his contract. I know he has had his ups and downs but when he took over for Ryan Miller this year, he really showed that he could potentially take over the #1 spot in net. The Canucks also have Markstrom who could back them up. Let me know what you guys think!

*I know this would cause the Canucks to trade to division rival, but I feel like for the right assets, a trade is still realistic between the two teams.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Not sure who I think will be the goalie at this point. It really could be any of the available guys and even some of the non-obvious guys who still have contracts.

I'm hoping for someone like Bernier as long as the price is right. I don't trust any of the guys who are available. Guys like Lehner, and Talbot just don't appeal to me.

Talbot is 28 years old despite being in only his 2nd year and playing for one of the best defensive teams. Lehner is young but really hasn't done anything and is basically 3rd on a mediocre teams depth chart.

I am hoping the Sharks trade for Bernier if we go with a vet, or one of the younger goalies like a Tampa goalie, Subban or a Winnipeg prospect goalie.

Ideally I'd like to get a goalie we can groom into a star and hold the starting gig for 8-10 years.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Not sure who I think will be the goalie at this point. It really could be any of the available guys and even some of the non-obvious guys who still have contracts.

I'm hoping for someone like Bernier as long as the price is right. I don't trust any of the guys who are available. Guys like Lehner, and Talbot just don't appeal to me.

Talbot is 28 years old despite being in only his 2nd year and playing for one of the best defensive teams. Lehner is young but really hasn't done anything and is basically 3rd on a mediocre teams depth chart.

I am hoping the Sharks trade for Bernier if we go with a vet, or one of the younger goalies like a Tampa goalie, Subban or a Winnipeg prospect goalie.

Ideally I'd like to get a goalie we can groom into a star and hold the starting gig for 8-10 years.

Callum Booth in this year's draft sounds like your kind of guy. I'd imagine he will be 3-4 years away from the big league.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It'll be a platoon between Stalock and a UFA goalie, I think. I would probably prefer Neuvirth. Goalies are one of the few things that the Sharks can and have used free agency to fill. Need to take advantage of that whenever possible instead of using trade assets. This team needs improvements on the blue line and defensive improvements from its players up front as well to really turn the losses into wins at this point. It won't matter who the goalie is if they don't and they should be developing their own goalies anyway.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
It'll be a platoon between Stalock and a UFA goalie, I think. I would probably prefer Neuvirth. Goalies are one of the few things that the Sharks can and have used free agency to fill. Need to take advantage of that whenever possible instead of using trade assets. This team needs improvements on the blue line and defensive improvements from its players up front as well to really turn the losses into wins at this point. It won't matter who the goalie is if they don't and they should be developing their own goalies anyway.

Bring Greiss back, trade one or two of our prime age stars for solid futures and tank for Matthews. Then go all out the following year (sign Bernier as UFA)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bring Greiss back, trade one or two of our prime age stars for solid futures and tank for Matthews. Then go all out the following year (sign Bernier as UFA)

If they're just going to tank, you might as well just let Grosenick come up and back up and give the load to Stalock. No sense in spending in free agency when you're a budget team if you're just going to lose.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
If they're just going to tank, you might as well just let Grosenick come up and back up and give the load to Stalock. No sense in spending in free agency when you're a budget team if you're just going to lose.

Meh, I liked Greiss when he was here. Bringing him in as a vet at 1.0 M allows DW to say he brought in a vet to help us go for it :yo:

But your point is valid

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I think it will be Brian Elliott

I have no reason, it just seems very Wilson to bring in a 30 year old for the 'youth movement'

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
You think there's any chane we'll sign someone like Ramo to challenge Stalock?

I hope they're aiming much higher than just someone to challenge Stalock.

They need someone who can be a legitimate starter.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The goaltending situation had the potential to be solved long-term or incredibly ****ed up for next season. Along with the new coach and the 9th overall pick, how DW handles the goaltending situation this summer will significantly affect my opinion of him going forward.

I don't know who I think the goalie will be, but I think Cam Talbot is a realistic option. I've heard the the Rangers org wants to give him a chance to be a starter, which he'll never get behind Lundqvist, and where better to send him than a WC team whose contending window won't coincide with theirs?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
The goaltending situation had the potential to be solved long-term or incredibly ****ed up for next season. Along with the new coach and the 9th overall pick, how DW handles the goaltending situation this summer will significantly affect my opinion of him going forward.

I don't know who I think the goalie will be, but I think Cam Talbot is a realistic option. I've heard the the Rangers org wants to give him a chance to be a starter, which he'll never get behind Lundqvist, and where better to send him than a WC team whose contending window won't coincide with theirs?

Of the rumored available G's Talbot, Bernier & Lack would be at the top of my list.

I read something recently that said the NYR may be asking for a 1st and while that might seem unrealistic it's not out if the question someone might pay it.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Of the rumored available G's Talbot, Bernier & Lack would be at the top of my list.

I read something recently that said the NYR may be asking for a 1st and while that might seem unrealistic it's not out if the question someone might pay it.

Very little interest in Talbot because he'll cost way more than he's worth. At 28 with no experience as a starting goalie other than a short period where Henrik was hurt, I can't justify giving up what will probably be demanded.

As for Lack I just don't think he's that good.

Bernier I like but what would the cost be? I would however be willing to send a decent amount for Vasilevsky or to a lesser extent Subban due to their age.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Very little interest in Talbot because he'll cost way more than he's worth. At 28 with no experience as a starting goalie other than a short period where Henrik was hurt, I can't justify giving up what will probably be demanded.

As for Lack I just don't think he's that good.

Bernier I like but what would the cost be? I would however be willing to send a decent amount for Vasilevsky or to a lesser extent Subban due to their age.

Neither Vasilevskiy or Subban will be available. Neither will Mrazek or Hellebuyck.

I think Talbot may be the real deal and if he cost a 2016 2nd and a mid level prospect I'd happily do it.

If the Sharks want a high end under 22yo goalie they're gonna have to draft one or get really, really lucky with an UDFA.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Neither Vasilevskiy or Subban will be available. Neither will Mrazek or Hellebuyck.

I think Talbot may be the real deal and if he cost a 2016 2nd and a mid level prospect I'd happily do it.

If the Sharks want a high end under 22yo goalie they're gonna have to draft one or get really, really lucky with an UDFA.

This exactly. Guys like Vasilevsky, Subban, Hellebuyck don't get moved.

That Talbot for a 1st thing was a ****ing propaganda piece. If NYR thinks they could get a first for him, they're insane. If they could get a 2nd for him they should count themselves lucky. Jonathan Bernier got traded for essentially a 2nd and he was younger and had the draft pedigree that Talbot doesn't.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
This exactly. Guys like Vasilevsky, Subban, Hellebuyck don't get moved.

That Talbot for a 1st thing was a ****ing propaganda piece. If NYR thinks they could get a first for him, they're insane. If they could get a 2nd for him they should count themselves lucky. Jonathan Bernier got traded for essentially a 2nd and he was younger and had the draft pedigree that Talbot doesn't.

I don't disagree but the goalie market is a bit different now than it was when Bernier got traded.

There are very few goalies that I think are worth a first round pick (and none are available for good reason) but there are a couple of teams in desperate need of good, stable, long term goaltending and I wouldn't be too surprised if a first got moved for a goalie (probably plus a draft pick coming back).

As I said I'd be fine using one of SJ's 2nd round picks from 2016 for a goalie that will be around for several years as they have nothing in the pipeline that looks like starter material any time in the near future to me.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I don't disagree but the goalie market is a bit different now than it was when Bernier got traded.

There are very few goalies that I think are worth a first round pick (and none are available for good reason) but there are a couple of teams in desperate need of good, stable, long term goaltending and I wouldn't be too surprised if a first got moved for a goalie (probably plus a draft pick coming back).

As I said I'd be fine using one of SJ's 2nd round picks from 2016 for a goalie that will be around for several years as they have nothing in the pipeline that looks like starter material any time in the near future to me.

I'm not even disagreeing with you, but it's not like Stalock is chopped liver and Dell's stats look better than Talbot's ever did in the AHL.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I'm not even disagreeing with you, but it's not like Stalock is chopped liver and Dell's stats look better than Talbot's ever did in the AHL.

I don't think Stalock can be a starter but I've thought that for a while.

If Dell can put up good numbers as a starter this coming season in the AHL I might start to lean towards him having more upside than a NHL backup.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I don't think Stalock can be a starter but I've thought that for a while.

If Dell can put up good numbers as a starter this coming season in the AHL I might start to lean towards him having more upside than a NHL backup.

Nobody in the Sharks system is starter material at this point. If the Sharks go into the season w/o acquiring a new goalie or re-signing Nemo, we're not making the playoffs...simple as that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nobody in the Sharks system is starter material at this point. If the Sharks go into the season w/o acquiring a new goalie or re-signing Nemo, we're not making the playoffs...simple as that.

Their playoff fate is very unlikely going to have much to do with their goaltending. They have defensive issues to deal with that are more important than who is in net.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I actually think that the goalie market is better (for buyers) now than when Bernier was traded. There are a ton of interesting names on the market.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Their playoff fate is very unlikely going to have much to do with their goaltending. They have defensive issues to deal with that are more important than who is in net.

That's true, but fixing the defense and putting Stalock/Grosenick back there still won't be enough imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad