Who do you think should be eligible to draft Lafreniere this year, assuming lotto before playoffs?

If Draft lotto happens before play-ins/playoffs - who should be eligible to win #1 overall pick?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
We still don't have full clarity/confirmation on the playoff format - and the actual draft and lottery are still much more unclear. However, reports seem to indicate that the draft lottery may very well happen before the playoffs/play-ins start. If it was up to you - what would you like to see happen in regards to whose eligible to draft #1, assuming the lotto in fact does happen before playoffs or play-ins happen.

Obviously - the idea here would be that odds are skewed in favor of the worst teams, not equal odds, as it happens every year.

Here are options:

1. Only non-playoff/play-in teams (25-31) should be eligible for #1
2. Teams 17-31 should be eligible, even if 17-24 get to 'play-in' for playoffs - same as every year
3. All teams who don't get a by (#9-31) should be eligible for #1
4. All teams should be eligible to draft #1 due to unique circumstances
5. Less than teams 25-31 should be eligible to draft #1 (so bottom 3 team, or +4 bump max, etc)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Same as every year. This year is just an anomaly.

If Habs beat Pens it means Pens see no playoffs nor a lotto odd. Seems unfair no?

And if you find the idea of Pitt complaining about lotto amusing - closer matchups like Fla/Ny or Van/Min - should Fla and Min really both benefit from both a lotto odd and a weak play-in opponent (relatively speaking). Seems unfair.

Id prefer options 1 or 3 due to that. Probably 3 most of all.

Where's the, "Only the worst team should get a shot", option?

Its a subset of the last option

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The teams that don't make the weird playoff setup. Yes, my favourite team not being involved in any potential playoff scenario does impact my decision here.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'd say limit it to the teams out of the play-in. Cutting it off after the bye teams leaves too many good teams in the lotto and cutting it off at 16 is a bit unfair if someone gets bumped. It's only recently all teams outside the playoffs got a chance, so I don't see the issue going back to a small number having the opportunity again if they're going to force it before the play-in

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That would be ideal yes - but it sounds like they may hold the lotto draft before the play-in series happen.

There's no reason to do that unless they are also going to hold the draft prior to the play-in. If that happens, it should be just the 7 bottom teams. Otherwise, the bottom 15 as a result of the play-in.

It's seeming increasingly unlikely that the draft will be held prior to the play-in games.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Lottery amongst bottom 7 for the 1st pick.
Lottery amongst the bottom 7 + losers of play-in round for the 2nd and 3rd picks.
Is my ideal situation.

But that's not the scenario you posed, so I'll say include the bottom 15.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
While I prefer the move up four rules, the whole league assumed that lottery would operate under the agreed upon rules and this pandemic does not necessitate reneging on those rules. And hurr durr we want the draft lottery to take place on June 26th derp derp isn't remotely close to an acceptable justification to change the agreed upon lottery rules.

The bottom seven teams plus the eight who lose their play-in series should all be eligible for lottery picks one, two and three.

Reactions: Regal

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
If they're trying to keep it to what it was, it should be the 7 teams that didn't make it plus all the losers of the play-in series. I've always preferred less teams being able to win it though. The system where you could only move up 4 spots was the best to me. Those 7 teams having a shot would be fine.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Making the play ins for this year to appease teams that really had no shot of the playoffs. So they could get more revenue, should exclude them from the lottery.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Imagine thinking your team deserves to play meaningful hockey AND reap the benefits of not playing meaningful hockey

Reactions: Darkseider

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No team that has a shot at the cup should be in the lottery.

I don't understand why so many are adamant about this. Why? Who cares?

I'm not saying give Boston or Washington a shot. Maybe not even Pitt or Dallas, 5th in conference. But what does it harm if teams slotted 17-24 get their usual shot at lotto - a super slim shot at that? If Chicago wins the lottery - and then somehow go in to win the cup in a 5 round playoff despite having such a mediocre team all year, it would be a helluva story.

It just doesn't bother me as much as it seems to other. So long as the odds are kept to as small as usual (maybe even small, since they get the added bonus of a play-in opportunity) - i think it would be fine.

Ideally - draft and lotto are held after playoffs, so it's not a problem - but that may or may not happen this year.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don't understand why so many are adamant about this. Why? Who cares?

I'm not saying give Boston or Washington a shot. Maybe not even Pitt or Dallas, 5th in conference. But what does it harm if teams slotted 17-24 get their usual shot at lotto - a super slim shot at that? If Chicago wins the lottery - and then somehow go in to win the cup in a 5 round playoff despite having such a mediocre team all year, it would be a helluva story.

It just doesn't bother me as much as it seems to other. So long as the odds are kept to as small as usual (maybe even small, since they get the added bonus of a play-in opportunity) - i think it would be fine.

Ideally - draft and lotto are held after playoffs, so it's not a problem - but that may or may not happen this year.

It doesn’t bother me as much now that they’ve changed the lottery rules where you can only move up four spots.

What I wouldn’t want to see is a good team like Edmonton, or Pittsburgh lose the play-in round and then win the lottery.

It’s just not a fair format to the other teams that they can have a chance at a playoff run and also get into the lottery.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
No team that has a shot at the cup should be in the lottery.
If on game 82 of the regular season two teams are playing for one playoff spot, they're both playing for a shot at the Cup. The nature of it being labelled a play-in series has a playoff stigma to it, but it's really no different than an alternative end to the regular season. 16 teams will be in, 15 will not.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If on game 82 of the regular season two teams are playing for one playoff spot, they're both playing for a shot at the Cup. The nature of it being labelled a play-in series has a playoff stigma to it, but it's really no different than an alternative end to the regular season. 16 teams will be in, 15 will not.

Except a team like Pittsburgh was going to be in the playoffs regardless. Giving a team like that the chance at the cup and the lottery is what doesn’t seem right to me.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Except a team like Pittsburgh was going to be in the playoffs regardless. Giving a team like that the chance at the cup and the lottery is what doesn’t seem right to me.
I agree with that. I don't think including Pittsburgh or Montreal in a play-in scenario made any sense. As a basic format though I think it's fine, where the loser of the play-in still gets their pick because it's just trying to simulate the rest of the regular season. Like if the Islanders lose to the Panthers I have no issue with that pick being in the lottery.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I agree with that. I don't think including Pittsburgh or Montreal in a play-in scenario made any sense. As a basic format though I think it's fine, where the loser of the play-in still gets their pick because it's just trying to simulate the rest of the regular season. Like if the Islanders lose to the Panthers I have no issue with that pick being in the lottery.

There should just be some kind of measure in place where a team that was already in a postseason spot shouldn’t get a lottery pick if they lose the play-in. I’m totally fine with Mtl being in it if they loose.

I don’t have an issue with the way the NHL is playing out the season. They’re making the best out of a bad situation.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Its not just a label

Teams that literally had no mathematical chance of making the playoffs are being given a 5-game series to do so. And then when/if they lose are being treated like they never had that chance

Quit acting like its game 82 for a wild card spot. Were allowing eight MORE teams than normally allowed. f***ing Detroit could win in a 5-game series if things went their way. So what, when Montreal loses they should be patted on the back and told ‘heres everything you would have gotten before a 5-game series for the playoffs, you poor thing’?

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Its not just a label

Teams that literally had no mathematical chance of making the playoffs are being given a 5-game series to do so. And then when/if they lose are being treated like they never had that chance

Quit acting like its game 82 for a wild card spot. Were allowing eight MORE teams than normally allowed. f***ing Detroit could win in a 5-game series if things went their way. So what, when Montreal loses they should be patted on the back and told ‘heres everything you would have gotten before a 5-game series for the playoffs, you poor thing’?

Maybe you should explain why is it that the bottom 7 teams this year deserve an elevated chance at a top 3 pick relative to any other year? Teams like Montreal are in there for the same reason as any other year: to ensure that the bottom feeders are not guaranteed a top pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad