Who do you think is the most underrated prospect for the 2023 draft?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
David Reinbacher is absurdly underrated right now - 25th in consolidated rankings for a guy whose profile (6'2 plus skating RHD putting up one of the top 5 seasons for a draft-eligible defender in a top Euro mens league over the past 20 years) should have him solidly top-10.

Watch for a player named Justin Kipkie on the Victoria Royals to go absolutely flying up the rankings late in this season. The team in Victoria started the year something like 3-20 as the worst team in the CHL and was a hopeless situation for draft-eligible guys to look good so Kipkie isn't even rated on the CSS mid-terms. But now they've righted the ship and have pulled back into the playoff picture and Kipke is a 6'4 defender who has 20 points in his last 32 games. More than that, his production is almost entirely at ES and he's a top-15 ES scorer amongst WHL defenders as a huge draft-eligible defender. Skating isn't perfect but he's big and physical and skilled and he'll probably rocket into the 3rd round range in June.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
What do you mean tool box issues? He's one of the most naturally gifted players in the draft.

If anything it's his commitment/work ethic that was questioned. That's done a 180 since Derek McKenzie took over behind the bench.
Hes naturally gifted from the neck down. He thinks the game poorly

Reactions: Blueston

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Hes naturally gifted from the neck down. He thinks the game poorly
I think you need to get another look at him post coaching change. He's processing the game at an elite level since, and the numbers back that up. It's his play making that has really driven his resurgence. Couple that with his elite level shot and it's an enticing package.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Tommaso De Luca.

I feel he gets rather overlooked as a real late birthday. He was born in December 29th - if he were born 3 days later he would be an ‘05.

He is a very smart player that started off the season very slow. He is a great skater, especially east-west, he uses his edges well to evade oncoming defenders. Grest wrist shot, quick release and plays a good two way game. Only one scouting service has him ranked accoroding to Eliteprospects and it’s at 144 - personally I think he should go as high as the second round.

Definitely agree with you here. I'd say he's a third rounder now.
LW - Aydar Suniev

Playing with Bradly Nadeau in the BCHL, there's times that Suniev looks like the more complete player, and the gap between the two is much closer than some may realize.

I really like his game. He's faster than Nadeau and he has a slick skating style that allows him to elude checks. He's also got a rocket of a shot.

Big fan of Nico Myatovic. He gets bounced around the Seattle lineup because he's just so useful. Very defensively aware, and is a top PKer. Solid numbers despite not getting top line minutes. Should put up more points with that stacked lineup. He was put on the top line with Bedard at the TP game, which is noteworthy that the coaches did that.

Nico has a high floor. His offensive might not translate but he has all the tools to be a solid NHLer.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
definitely Riley Heidt. Should be firmly in top 10s but some don't even have him as a 1st lol. Tied for 4th in WHL scoring on a meh PG team isn't impressive enough I guess to go along with a good 2way game.

Overall most of the top WHL kids are being slept on this year. Last year wasn't high on the class but they still had 6 1sts, this year runs laps around last years.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
My most underrated and where I have them ranked:

5. Danielson
9. Gulyayev
11. Willander
13. Dragicevic
41. Zavragin

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Hunter Brzustewicz

I live in Kitchener and have watched him live 12-15 times this year. His biggest strength is his high IQ. It’s rare that you can watch a rookie defenceman (in their draft year) and they play as close to flawless. He very rarely makes a mistake. He is not overly physical at all but he is great with stick checks. Over the last month or so he has been joining the rush more and has been deking shot blockers out with fake point shots.

He will be a player who is a coaches dream. You can play him on the power play, short handed, up by a goal with time running out and down by a goal with time running out. I would not be surprised if he goes in the #15-20 range.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter Brzustewicz

I live in Kitchener and have watched him live 12-15 times this year. His biggest strength is his high IQ. It’s rare that you can watch a rookie defenceman (in their draft year) and they play as close to flawless. He very rarely makes a mistake. He is not overly physical at all but he is great with stick checks. Over the last month or so he has been joining the rush more and has been deking shot blockers out with fake point shots.

He will be a player who is a coaches dream. You can play him on the power play, short handed, up by a goal with time running out and down by a goal with time running out. I would not be surprised if he goes in the #15-20 range.
This is great assessment of him and I completely agree. The maturity in his game really stands out. He just looks like a pro.

Reactions: Habsrule

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think his defensive IQ and skating issues are an overblow narrative. I see a decent physical defender with game breaking playmaking ability.
He's definitely got a lot of talent, but it's really hard to play the type of game he plays at the next level without elite skating and tools. Brandt Clarke is a much better skater and he's still really struggled to mature his game.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Two Sudbury Wolves I was impressed by....Musty and Alex Pharand
Pharand is ok, he's tasked with a more defensive role in Sudbury currently. Big body, good shot, skating needs work.

I think he's ranked appropriately though, and honestly could see him go anywhere from the 3rd round on. Probably somewhere in the 4 to 6 range.

Will be a project to reach the next level, but has an intriguing package.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Easily Leo Carlsson, I have seen reports putting him no4 or 5... what kind of Blasphemy is this

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I'm tempted to say Nick Lardis again, but this time without the caveat that it could just be because I happen to be a Bulldogs fan.

dr1234

Sep 1, 2022
Tristan Bertucci. I don’t think he should be a high pick or anything, but literally no one is talking about him and a team could easily pick him in the mid-second and I wouldn’t be shocked.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad