Who do you think are (to date) the Top-5 Sabres this season?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Who do you think are among the top-10 Sabres in the 2014-2015 season as the calendar year nears its end?

(We are 2nd in the NHL in wins the past ten games with a 7-3 record so now is apt to come up with such a list.)

I think:
1. Zemgus Girgensons

2. Jhonas Enroth

3. Tyler Ennis

4. Tyler Myers

4.5 coach Ted Nolan

5. Matt Moulson

I sincerely believe everyone of the above could help any NHL team (in some capacity).

HM: Rasmus Ristolainen, Nikita Zadorov, Nicolas Deslauriers, Brian Flynn.

(I agree with Teddy that Stewart & Stafford have been hot and cold.)

girgensons.jpg

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
1. Girgensons - The reset of the top center position took the team from god awful to able to at least compete

2. Myers - His roll as horse has allowed for #3, and a huge impact on #4.

3. Ristodorov - 2 young studs have taken the 2nd pair role and big minutes while forcing the garbage (Messoit) down/out of the lineup

4. Enroth/Neuvirth - It's safe to say no one expected them to be this good.

5. Ennis - back where he belongs, his finish around the net has been the most consistent offensive element on the ice.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Flynn/Mitchell/Gionta deserves an honorable mention as the 2nd line

they went from the horror show of Ennis and Hodgson as line drivers... to Girgensons and Mitchell and that change was the starting point of looking like an untalented but competitive team, rather than an untalented AND noncompetitive team

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
1. Girgensons - It's a boat race. It's not close.

2. Enroth/Neuvirth - Have to put both on the list. They're both doing what Miller did last year. Can it continue? I have my doubts. But, right now, they've earned this spot.

3. Myers - He's been really good this year. Far more consistent.

4. Ennis - Still has his moments when you want to choke him, but he's had more good than bad.

5. Risto/Zads and Mitchell-Flynn-Gionta (tie) - Things started getting better when these combinations were put together.

HM: Stafford (steady player)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
1) Enroth -- the guy is in the zone and is a huge reason for the team to not be completely terrible every night.

2) Myers -- hey, the guy can handle huge minutes and low-and-behold, has been good doing it.

3 and 4) Ristolainen and Zadorov -- sheltering a bit helps, but it's encouraging to see what a pair of kids can do in essentially 2nd pairing duties when they A) have a white hot goalie behind them and B) someone else eating the majority of the hard minutes. Impressively giddy about those two.

5) Girgensons -- He's come far and is emerging into the player hinted at in his draft year. It's nothing against him that he's 5th -- I find the three defense and Enroth to all have been more impressive but this is just subjective. My favorite thing? The dust-up with Paquette even after he'd been smoked on the hit that set things off.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I absolutely hate the Mitchell Gionta Flynn line but you can't argue how they've been playing last 10 or so games.

So they get an honorable mention too

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
1) Enroth -- the guy is in the zone and is a huge reason for the team to not be completely terrible every night.

2) Myers -- hey, the guy can handle huge minutes and low-and-behold, has been good doing it.

3 and 4) Ristolainen and Zadorov -- sheltering a bit helps, but it's encouraging to see what a pair of kids can do in essentially 2nd pairing duties when they A) have a white hot goalie behind them and B) someone else eating the majority of the hard minutes. Impressively giddy about those two.

5) Girgensons -- He's come far and is emerging into the player hinted at in his draft year. It's nothing against him that he's 5th -- I find the three defense and Enroth to all have been more impressive but this is just subjective. My favorite thing? The dust-up with Paquette even after he'd been smoked on the hit that set things off.

He had every right to fall down after he took a big shot to the cheek, but he stayed up and got a nice hook on Paquette. No quit in that kid.

---

1. Enroth
2. Myers
3. Ennis
4. Girgensons
5. Ristolainen

Would not be surprised if this whole list is still here in a few years.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Myers - He's matured so, so much and is really playing like the top pairing d-man we all hoped he'd be for us.
Girgensons - Just keeps getting better and better in every aspect of the game.
Goalies - Enroth and Neuvirth have both been very good for us so far, and have given this team a chance in a lot of pretty one-sided games.
Ristolainen - He's starting to come into his own and translate his sky-high potential to the NHL. The best part is I think he has a whole lot more to show us.
Gorges - Tough call between him and Ennis, but I had to go with the shot-blocking machine for the last spot. I think his influence as a veteran on our young D is probably a big part of the success we've seen them have. Plus, I think he's been our best PKer this season. iirc, we had one of the better PKs in the league before he got injured.

HM to Ennis. Still very frustrating at times, but he's definitely been our best forward offensively this season, and I think he's gotten a bit better on the defensive side of things too.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
Myers
Zemgus
Ristorov
Ennis
Gorges/Strachan

HM: Des, Staff, Flynn, McCormick.

I didn't include goalies, They would probably be there, but its really hard for my to judge them. IMO, current style Sabres are playing, really helps them a lot.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
1. Girgensons - The team really turned the corner when he got moved up to form the GEM line. Theres a reason everyone in BUF has fallen in love with the kid.

2. Myers - Showing why no one should think about trading him.

3. Ennis - Bringing the consistency night in and night out. Has fully deserved his place in the lineup through his effort and skill. Its awesome when Ennis gets feisty and throws his body around in the dirty areas for a player of his size.

4. Risto/Zads - I thought Zads was shaky the first couple of games he played, but he has fully earned his keep by now. Theyve been a pleasure to watch as a second pairing. Zads hit on Kopitar the other night... :heart: And I still cant believe Oilers drafted Nurse over Risto.

5. Enroth/Neuvirth - Its hard to look at the rest of the lineup and put anyone else above them with the way they've played as of late.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
1. Zeus (Zemgus - I love that nickname.)
2. Myers
3. Ennis
4. Risto/Zorro (Zadorov - love this one too.)
5. Goalies

ZeroPT*

Gotta give the love to Mitchell and Gorges. Both of whom have been really helpful additions. For me it goes:

1-Zemgod
2-Myers
3-Twin towers
4-Goalies
5-Ennis
5b-Gorges+Mitchell.

Someone who's quietly having a good year is Weber.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Gotta give the love to Mitchell and Gorges. Both of whom have been really helpful additions. For me it goes:

1-Zemgod
2-Myers
3-Twin towers
4-Goalies
5-Ennis
5b-Gorges+Mitchell.

Someone who's quietly having a good year is Weber.

I agree. The suck isn't as strong with him now, and, one third less penalty minutes!

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
1) Myers: When he's out with an injury it's nearly a guarantee loss. He's been very consistent this year.
2) Girgs: Another player that would be a noticeable loss if injured. There's not another center on the team that can log the minutes he plays against the competition he faces and perform at his level.
3) Enroth: He's been great this year, and the team in front of him battles for him.
4) Risto: His play this year has made the loss of Ehrhoff not as big of a burden as some posters believed. I'm astonished at his rate of development. I'm always expecting him to go through a long slump like most defenseman his age, but his bad games are far and few between. His confidence is noticeable.
5) Ennis: the goal scoring and creativity on offense is evident. He competes every night. I never question his effort. He makes some bone headed plays, but the positives far outweighs the negatives.

HM: Moulson, Zadorov, Gorges, and Stafford.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Girgensons
Enroth
Myers
Ristolainen
Ennis

If Zadorov hadn't been stapled to the press box to start the year, he'd bump someone off this list.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
No love for Benoit? :naughty:

Girgensons and Myers are no brainers. Those guys are locking down the #1C and #1D positions and are the bedrock for this team.

Enroth/Neuvirth, Ennis, Moulson, and Ristolainen are all up there too. Zadorov I wouldn't call top 5 to date, but he might be more important than the other forwards if only because he gives us a legit top 4 and keeps the Benoit/Mess"R"Us play to a minimum, which is hugely important for the competitiveness of this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad