Proposal: Who do you offer-sheet this offseason?

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
If the canes were willing to sign reasonable deals they wouldn't have just given away their starting goalie.

It's also funny to see a leafs fan laughing at a GM because he signs RFAs to reasonable deals.

Shhhhh it's okay. No need to get upset.

And let's be real Canes had at best three 1Bs.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
If you're a team that won't be drafting top 10, just make a crazy offer to Pettersson or Svechnikov. Its dumb not to. They're easily worth 4 late 1sts, especially Pettersson. Either you get an elite young talent or you drive up the price the team has to pay to keep them. It's win win.

Of course it won't happen because NHL GMs are scared and make bad decisions.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
None are worth offer-sheeting, IMO.

Vancouver cleared a lot of space with the OEL trade. They, effectively, have around 22M with Ferland on IR. They have Garland, Dickinson, Juolevi, Pettersson, Hughes, and some extras(1D +1F). It looks worse than it is. Hughes can't be offer sheeted, which can drive down the price. Juolevi is getting like..800KM. Garland is going to get 5M, Hawryluk (or a replacement) is getting 800K, Hamonic (or a replacement) is getting 1.4-1.6M, and Dickinson like 1.8-2M, at worst. That probably leaves 11M for Pettersson and Hughes. You can bridge them both for that much or you can dump Holtby to find room. It would be much worse if Hughes could be offer sheeted, but he can't

NYI is misleading, Boychuk's 6M is going on LTIR, which gives them almost 23.5M in space. All they need is Pelech, Beauvillier, Sorokin, and 1F and 1D for depth. They have room to ADD players at this point, much less lose some.

Carolina is interesting because of their internal budget. If they lose Dougie, they'll have budget to match anything for Svechnikov. Things get interesting with Scechnikov if they try and find a way to keep Hamilton. At that point they're probably paying someone in picks to take on Gardiner and maybe selling Nino Niederreiter. You can make their life hard with an offer sheet, but in the long term it won't hurt them(because the more you front load it, the more salary it opens late in the contract for them), and in the short term the can still create room.

Tampa: I'm not sure they care. If you want to give him a 4M offersheet, they'll take the 2nd round pick and thank you.

NYR: I assume you meant Igor Shesterkin. It is never a good idea to go to war with the richest team in the league, especially when they have 20M in cap space. They have all the room they need. This year. The time to f*** them over is next year when they need to figure out how to pay Zibanejad, Strome, Fox, Blais, Kakko, Gauthier, Kravstov, (plus Chytil and Shesterkin new salaries this year) with only 40M and still have a full team. Then it might get tight.

Minnesota is the one I'd be interested in. 29M seems like a lot, but Fiala and Kaprizov might eat a big chunk of that (say 1/2?) and they still need 3 forwards and 4 defenseman after that. Hard to have 7 good players with only 13-14M to work with. The real issues for them start in 2022, 2023, and 2024.

Edit: I'll add that you can really put NYR in a bad spot with big offers to BOTH of their RFAs. If you make them add 12M for Chytil and Shesterskin they're basically screwed next season. That would leave thee with only 30M for Zibanejad, Strome, Fox, Blais, Kakko, Gauthier, Kravstov, and Georgiev.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
As a CBJ fan, I send one to Pettersson or Svech...I want Pettersson, but would love to drive price up for cash strapped Carolina on Svech

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Svech is the guy to target, Carolina is a internal budget team. However if I’m in the offer sheet game I’m waiting until next year and throwing a pile at Sergachev - guys got what it takes to be a legit 1D and Tampa is going to be tight to the cap again

Reactions: Fro

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Svech is the guy to target, Carolina is a internal budget team. However if I’m in the offer sheet game I’m waiting until next year and throwing a pile at Sergachev - guys got what it takes to be a legit 1D and Tampa is going to be tight to the cap again

Uhm…they’ve been a cap team for the past 2 years…

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
None are worth offer-sheeting, IMO.

Vancouver cleared a lot of space with the OEL trade. They, effectively, have around 22M with Ferland on IR. They have Garland, Dickinson, Juolevi, Pettersson, Hughes, and some extras(1D +1F). It looks worse than it is. Hughes can't be offer sheeted, which can drive down the price. Juolevi is getting like..800KM. Garland is going to get 5M, Hawryluk (or a replacement) is getting 800K, Hamonic (or a replacement) is getting 1.4-1.6M, and Dickinson like 1.8-2M, at worst. That probably leaves 11M for Pettersson and Hughes. You can bridge them both for that much or you can dump Holtby to find room. It would be much worse if Hughes could be offer sheeted, but he can't

NYI is misleading, Boychuk's 6M is going on LTIR, which gives them almost 23.5M in space. All they need is Pelech, Beauvillier, Sorokin, and 1F and 1D for depth. They have room to ADD players at this point, much less lose some.

Carolina is interesting because of their internal budget. If they lose Dougie, they'll have budget to match anything for Svechnikov. Things get interesting with Scechnikov if they try and find a way to keep Hamilton. At that point they're probably paying someone in picks to take on Gardiner and maybe selling Nino Niederreiter. You can make their life hard with an offer sheet, but in the long term it won't hurt them(because the more you front load it, the more salary it opens late in the contract for them), and in the short term the can still create room.

Tampa: I'm not sure they care. If you want to give him a 4M offersheet, they'll take the 2nd round pick and thank you.

NYR: I assume you meant Igor Shesterkin. It is never a good idea to go to war with the richest team in the league, especially when they have 20M in cap space. They have all the room they need. This year. The time to f*** them over is next year when they need to figure out how to pay Zibanejad, Strome, Fox, Blais, Kakko, Gauthier, Kravstov, (plus Chytil and Shesterkin new salaries this year) with only 40M and still have a full team. Then it might get tight.

Minnesota is the one I'd be interested in. 29M seems like a lot, but Fiala and Kaprizov might eat a big chunk of that (say 1/2?) and they still need 3 forwards and 4 defenseman after that. Hard to have 7 good players with only 13-14M to work with. The real issues for them start in 2022, 2023, and 2024.

Edit: I'll add that you can really put NYR in a bad spot with big offers to BOTH of their RFAs. If you make them add 12M for Chytil and Shesterskin they're basically screwed next season. That would leave thee with only 30M for Zibanejad, Strome, Fox, Blais, Kakko, Gauthier, Kravstov, and Georgiev.

I wish people would offersheet Shesty and Chytil 6M each. I would gladly let both walk and take the compensation along with money to sign someone else for cheaper.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
For the first time in their history, also I believe they spend considerably under in real $ - something along the lines 75 million last year

And the year prior they spent significantly more with Hamilton on LTIR and acquiring Skjei and Vatanen at the deadline. Who cares what the real cash # is. They’ll spend to the cap this year too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad