Proposal: Who do you offer-sheet this offseason?

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Going off the Athletic article that named a few players (listed below) to offer-sheet? I figured in this flat cap world it would be more likely this year than any other year.

• Vancouver - Connor Garland, Elias Pettersson
  • NY Islanders - Adam Pelech, Ilya Sorokin
  • Carolina Hurricanes - Andrei Svechnikov
  • Tampa Bay Lightning - Alex Barre-Boulet
  • Minnesota Wild - Kevin Fiala
  • New York Rangers - Igor Shesterkin

Last edited:

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I'd love to have Garland but i don't think the offer sheet matches what he's worth.

$4,059,323 -$6,088,980 = 1st + 3rd (which is fine) but 6m is to much and any sensible number would probably be matched by Vancovuer.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Petterson or Svechnikov but making sure I have Shesterkins deal done first.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Going off the Athletic article that named a few players (listed below) to offer-sheet? I figured in this flat cap world it would be more likely this year than any other year.

• New York Rangers - Ilya Sorokin

Nobody. The press and fans like to talk about offering sheeting players, but GMs so rarely do and I think it's because they don't want to burn bridges with other teams

Reactions: viper0220

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
None are worth offer-sheeting, IMO.

Vancouver cleared a lot of space with the OEL trade. They, effectively, have around 22M with Ferland on IR. They have Garland, Dickinson, Juolevi, Pettersson, Hughes, and some extras(1D +1F). It looks worse than it is. Hughes can't be offer sheeted, which can drive down the price. Juolevi is getting like..800KM. Garland is going to get 5M, Hawryluk (or a replacement) is getting 800K, Hamonic (or a replacement) is getting 1.4-1.6M, and Dickinson like 1.8-2M, at worst. That probably leaves 11M for Pettersson and Hughes. You can bridge them both for that much or you can dump Holtby to find room. It would be much worse if Hughes could be offer sheeted, but he can't

NYI is misleading, Boychuk's 6M is going on LTIR, which gives them almost 23.5M in space. All they need is Pelech, Beauvillier, Sorokin, and 1F and 1D for depth. They have room to ADD players at this point, much less lose some.

Carolina is interesting because of their internal budget. If they lose Dougie, they'll have budget to match anything for Svechnikov. Things get interesting with Scechnikov if they try and find a way to keep Hamilton. At that point they're probably paying someone in picks to take on Gardiner and maybe selling Nino Niederreiter. You can make their life hard with an offer sheet, but in the long term it won't hurt them(because the more you front load it, the more salary it opens late in the contract for them), and in the short term the can still create room.

Tampa: I'm not sure they care. If you want to give him a 4M offersheet, they'll take the 2nd round pick and thank you.

NYR: I assume you meant Igor Shesterkin. It is never a good idea to go to war with the richest team in the league, especially when they have 20M in cap space. They have all the room they need. This year. The time to f*** them over is next year when they need to figure out how to pay Zibanejad, Strome, Fox, Blais, Kakko, Gauthier, Kravstov, (plus Chytil and Shesterkin new salaries this year) with only 40M and still have a full team. Then it might get tight.

Minnesota is the one I'd be interested in. 29M seems like a lot, but Fiala and Kaprizov might eat a big chunk of that (say 1/2?) and they still need 3 forwards and 4 defenseman after that. Hard to have 7 good players with only 13-14M to work with. The real issues for them start in 2022, 2023, and 2024.

Edit: I'll add that you can really put NYR in a bad spot with big offers to BOTH of their RFAs. If you make them add 12M for Chytil and Shesterskin they're basically screwed next season. That would leave thee with only 30M for Zibanejad, Strome, Fox, Blais, Kakko, Gauthier, Kravstov, and Georgiev.

Last edited:
Reactions: vanarchy

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Please remove Sorokin name from that team. He’s an islander through and Through Yuck

• New York Rangers - Ilya Sorokin

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
As a Sens fan...
You can probably offer sheet Tkachuk, and he probably would accept.
If you OS 8M x 5 years, make it all signing bonus.. you're definitely getting him along with all our broken hearts.
And it only costs you a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
As a Sens fan...
You can probably offer sheet Tkachuk, and he probably would accept.
If you OS 8M x 5 years, make it all signing bonus.. you're definitely getting him along with all our broken hearts.
And it only costs you a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks
Dorion matches before the fax even finishes printing. We need to pay him at least 5M or we're not even going to hit the minimum salary cap.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Peterson from Vancouver is a good target but offer sheeting isn’t really a thing in the real world.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Dahlin. Four year deal to take him right to UFA, just to be a dick.

I think the best targets are the guys who haven't broken out yet. You want to find the next Mangiapane, that's where the value is. Guys like Thomas, Batherson, Timmins, Bellows, Steel, Fabbro, Peeke, Middlestadt would be good targets. Preferably the later drafts picks to avoid sunk cost fallacy. You basically overpay them now by a million or so in the hope that they out-perform the deal.

Reactions: Habsrule

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020
None are worth offer-sheeting, IMO.

Vancouver cleared a lot of space with the OEL trade. They, effectively, have around 22M with Ferland on IR. They have Garland, Dickinson, Juolevi, Pettersson, Hughes, and some extras(1D +1F). It looks worse than it is. Hughes can't be offer sheeted, which can drive down the price. Juolevi is getting like..800KM. Garland is going to get 5M, Hawryluk (or a replacement) is getting 800K, Hamonic (or a replacement) is getting 1.4-1.6M, and Dickinson like 1.8-2M, at worst. That probably leaves 11M for Pettersson and Hughes. You can bridge them both for that much or you can dump Holtby to find room. It would be much worse if Hughes could be offer sheeted, but he can't

NYI is misleading, Boychuk's 6M is going on LTIR, which gives them almost 23.5M in space. All they need is Pelech, Beauvillier, Sorokin, and 1F and 1D for depth. They have room to ADD players at this point, much less lose some.

Carolina is interesting because of their internal budget. If they lose Dougie, they'll have budget to match anything for Svechnikov. Things get interesting with Scechnikov if they try and find a way to keep Hamilton. At that point they're probably paying someone in picks to take on Gardiner and maybe selling Nino Niederreiter. You can make their life hard with an offer sheet, but in the long term it won't hurt them(because the more you front load it, the more salary it opens late in the contract for them), and in the short term the can still create room.

Tampa: I'm not sure they care. If you want to give him a 4M offersheet, they'll take the 2nd round pick and thank you.

NYR: I assume you meant Igor Shesterkin. It is never a good idea to go to war with the richest team in the league, especially when they have 20M in cap space. They have all the room they need. This year. The time to f*** them over is next year when they need to figure out how to pay Zibanejad, Strome, Fox, Blais, Kakko, Gauthier, Kravstov, (plus Chytil and Shesterkin new salaries this year) with only 40M and still have a full team. Then it might get tight.

Minnesota is the one I'd be interested in. 29M seems like a lot, but Fiala and Kaprizov might eat a big chunk of that (say 1/2?) and they still need 3 forwards and 4 defenseman after that. Hard to have 7 good players with only 13-14M to work with. The real issues for them start in 2022, 2023, and 2024.

Edit: I'll add that you can really put NYR in a bad spot with big offers to BOTH of their RFAs. If you make them add 12M for Chytil and Shesterskin they're basically screwed next season. That would leave thee with only 30M for Zibanejad, Strome, Fox, Blais, Kakko, Gauthier, Kravstov, and Georgiev.

If you want to offer sheet chytil for that amount and give up your 1st and 3rd round, be my guest you can have him!!

Please hoping GM’s do try that

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Dahlin. Four year deal to take him right to UFA, just to be a dick.

I think the best targets are the guys who haven't broken out yet. You want to find the next Mangiapane, that's where the value is. Guys like Thomas, Batherson, Timmins, Bellows, Steel, Fabbro, Peeke, Middlestadt would be good targets. Preferably the later drafts picks to avoid sunk cost fallacy. You basically overpay them now by a million or so in the hope that they out-perform the deal.

Buffalo will match

theyhave Power, Samuelson, bryson, and Johnson at LD

they could just trade him after a calendar year and get a haul filling any possible holes.

the low level players are the more volt er able ones at a max 3rd or 2nd round comp against tight cap teams

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Buffalo will match

theyhave Power, Samuelson, bryson, and Johnson at LD

they could just trade him after a calendar year and get a haul filling any possible holes.

the low level players are the more volt er able ones at a max 3rd or 2nd round comp against tight cap teams

Is Dahlin really good, though? I know +/- is the most hated stat and with good reason(s), but -36 in the 56 games? Are you sure he is that much better than the rest of the team?

I really haven't watched much Sabre-hockey this season if you ask.

Anyhow, it sounds like a splendid way for him to get away.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Is Dahlin really good, though? I know +/- is the most hated stat and with good reason(s), but -36 in the 56 games? Are you sure he is that much better than the rest of the team?

I really haven't watched much Sabre-hockey this season if you ask.

Anyhow, it sounds like a splendid way for him to get away.

dahlin is really good. He was on 3rd HC. Kruger wanted him to not play his style. After coaching change Granato let him play.

do they sign him to 6+ yrs or a 1-2 yr bridge.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad