Who Do You Keep For Next Season?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
TML fan coming in Peace. I have ragged on EDM for a long time but as fans you deserve better than these clowns. Look I think your owner has to go to the scorched earth plan Shanahan presented to our board a few years ago in Toronto. I mean you evaluate the organization from the bottom up:

• Scouts-Look with the exception of the high draft picks it really has been few and far players that have actually become a regular NHL players. This directly correlates to bad evaluation and poor development;
  • Your AHL coach and staff, one of the good things with both the Leafs and now Habs(team on the rise) they cleaned house at the lower levels a got the AHL emulating the systems they want at the NHL level. Kids learn the Systems and how to play and it makes easier for them to make the jump (Kapanen, Johnsson, Brown, Dermott);
  • Fire all upper management, nobody remains from the past 10 years. Sure you can have the oilers greats as Alumni committee but other than that no day to day;
  • Lucic is waived and sent to AHL, sorry you can’t have someone making 6 million playing when a player making league min could do a better job-Ennis as an example. Just sends the wrong message to the players and to the fans(no accountability);
  • Keep the players under 25/26 who have a future with the team. Personally I would be looking at McJesus, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson (trade if overpayment), Koskinen. Everybody else is available unless they are cost effective and effective on ice;
  • Be ruthless with this purge, in business there are no time for friendship.
Wish you all the best but I don’t want you coming anywhere near another top 5 pick , unfortunately they cannot be mutually exclusive. All the best!

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Window is seriously screwed up with McDavid now. Not sure what to do to be honest and I'm glad I don't get paid to fix this mess.
Nothing until there is new people in charge all around.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Who Do You Keep For Next Season?

McDavid, Draisatl, RNH, Klefbom. Thats it.

I listen on absolutely everyone else and for sure these guys are gonzo:

Sekera, Manning, Benning, Petrovic, Kassian, Puljujarvi, Talbot, Spooner, Reider, Brodziak, and if I can Lucic are all dumped or not qualified, but I think that Lucic ship won't sail until summer 2020.
What I do not do is I don't hamstring the team further by giving away a top pick or prospect to move him or buy him out this summer. He sits in the press box every single game unless he agrees to go to Bakersfield where he wont get escrow and thereby makes 15% more money and we at least save $1M off the cap.

This is almost half of our 23 man roster that gets replaced.

Resign Chaisson but no more than a 2 x $1.5M per deal or I let him walk as a UFA as well.
Resign Rattie to a 2 way deal, $250k minors, league minimum NHL.
Resign Khaira to a 2 year less than $1M per deal that wont hurt us if we have to send him to the minors.

Either way our next GM has a tough assignment to clear cap space and make this team halfway competitive for the next season. The free agent crop is not very good so any help must come from cap challenged teams like Winnipeg and Tampa who need to resign their young stars.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The problem isnt so much about who to keep. We have so few actual contributors and players with unrealized upside that they stick out like sore thumbs. The issue is how to get rid of the boat anchors. How the hell do you ditch Lucic, Spooner, Manning, Sekera, Benning, and Brodziak? Even if you do, we dont have the prospects or other assets to develop better replacements or acquire them. We are well and truly fkd in each and every way.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Any of you saying you would possibly trade McDavid have lost the right to complain about a GM ever again. It doesn't matter what comes back for him, it's by definition a downgrade and all that's happened is downgrade trades.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Connor McDavid.

Everyone else should rightly be available.

Honestly I think McD should be available too, cause this franchise is f***ed and won't do anything with him.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
giphy.gif

Reactions: Gone

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Mcdavid

Drai and nuge unless a fab deal

Chiasson with a small deal....prove it wasn't a fluke.

Klefbom Caleb Jones and Larsson

Khaira is the only player from bottom six with a deal commensurate with his ability.

Yamamoto and pulu unless a deal that can help

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I chose to only watch the highlights - what happened?

Connor was getting pushed around to the point where Doughty was laughing about it on the bench. Lucics response was to slash Leipsic and get himself thrown out of the game rather than deal with any of his buddies on the Kings.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
TML fan coming in Peace. I have ragged on EDM for a long time but as fans you deserve better than these clowns. Look I think your owner has to go to the scorched earth plan Shanahan presented to our board a few years ago in Toronto. I mean you evaluate the organization from the bottom up:

• Scouts-Look with the exception of the high draft picks it really has been few and far players that have actually become a regular NHL players. This directly correlates to bad evaluation and poor development;
  • Your AHL coach and staff, one of the good things with both the Leafs and now Habs(team on the rise) they cleaned house at the lower levels a got the AHL emulating the systems they want at the NHL level. Kids learn the Systems and how to play and it makes easier for them to make the jump (Kapanen, Johnsson, Brown, Dermott);
  • Fire all upper management, nobody remains from the past 10 years. Sure you can have the oilers greats as Alumni committee but other than that no day to day;
  • Lucic is waived and sent to AHL, sorry you can’t have someone making 6 million playing when a player making league min could do a better job-Ennis as an example. Just sends the wrong message to the players and to the fans(no accountability);
  • Keep the players under 25/26 who have a future with the team. Personally I would be looking at McJesus, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson (trade if overpayment), Koskinen. Everybody else is available unless they are cost effective and effective on ice;
  • Be ruthless with this purge, in business there are no time for friendship.
Wish you all the best but I don’t want you coming anywhere near another top 5 pick , unfortunately they cannot be mutually exclusive. All the best!

Furthermore you don’t trade any picks or young prospects unless you are blown away. Right now you are looking at top 10 and moving up quickly. Add as many bullets as you can for the incoming GM. Don’t rush next year because chances are likely your not going to be much better. Keep Bouchard in AHL, same with Pool Party, Jones, etc. Let them season.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I'd sign Ryan Dzingel
Acquire Connor Brown and Charles Hudon
Trade Kassian to a team that got beat up in the playoffs
Sekera to LTIR/Robidas Island
Resign Chiasson

Draisailt-McDavid-Brown
Dzingel-RNH-Pulju
Hudon-Marody-Chiasson
Lucic-Khaira-Rieder

Klefbom-Larsson