Who do you blame for the series loss to the Habs?

Who do you blame for the series loss to the Habs?

• Dubas

• Keefe

• Matthews

• Marner

• Thornton

• Defense

• Goaltending

• Bad luck - (Tavares injury)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Campbell is the last guy to blame. It shouldn't have come down to one goal. He posted a better save percentage than Carey freaking Price and was let down by his teammates.

Campbell gave up WAY too many weak goals. Byron on his knees. Suzuki wrister blocker side. Toffoli in front of the net game 6. 2 weak goals in game 7.

Campbell sucks. He has no pedigree. His best numbers were in the ECHL. He doesn't even have good OHL stats. HES 30. Why all the blind faith in this BS hybrid of a stand up goalie who cant find a rebound to save his life.

Reactions: Raffalski

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I vote Marner and Keefe. The series did NOT need to go to game 7. If only Marner did what he was paid to do instead of flipping pucks over the glass. Campbell did everything he could to win this series.

Fire the whole coaching staff for keeping Campbell in net. He lost 3 straight. Garbage goalie. I would have put Freddy in game 6 and went back to Campbell in game 7.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
if you are too blind to see multiple weak goals almost every single game then you are out to lunch. This guy sucks.

He was over .920% in 23 regular season games.

Was .962% and 4 goals let in by game 5.

How the HELL does he suck? Oh no, he gave up a soft goal, I guess his career is over then. Every goaltender in NHL history has given up soft goals in the playoffs. He stood on his head 95% of the rest of the time.

Idiocy to say he sucks. ABSOLUTE LUNACY.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I would have put Freddy in game 6 and went back to Campbell in game 7.

So it's Campbell's fault the Leafs decided not to score goals until the third period of games 5, 6 and 7?

Andersen is trash, thankfully you aren't the coach. Andersen will never play in a Leafs uniform again.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Fire the whole coaching staff for keeping Campbell in net. He lost 3 straight. Garbage goalie. I would have put Freddy in game 6 and went back to Campbell in game 7.

you give people hope if you actually have a job at BR cause you don’t know your ass from a hole in the ground.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Today I learn that Campbell was the problem.

it’s become too painfully obvious throughout these playoffs that some of you lack lives. It’s just a game, and if it takes this much energy up in your life, frankly, you’re a loser. It’s a game, enjoy the ups, frown on the downs, but if nearly 24 hours after you’re still mad over a game, you need a life. And fast. Life is short, don’t wanna miss it.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
if you are too blind to see multiple weak goals almost every single game then you are out to lunch. This guy sucks.
if Andy was letting in all those muffins no one would be blaming Marner today

the first goal last night was brutal and i counted 3 goals in the series he let in that his was on the ice swimming like a mofo , not to mention a few goals where he wasn't squared up properly

good guy but just a b/u

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It took every working together to **** this one up

Some guys are more to blame than but others but everybody did their bit

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well, If you don't like Dubas, you'll blame him. (and then. Shanahan for hiring him)
If you don't like Shanahan you point at him.
If you don't like Keefe you blame them.

Note i said my piece on all of them so that's moot.
but that's what we were saying about Babcock and Lou. a lot of the vitriol people are spewing on Dubas/Keefe are the exact same things people said (maybe with a tweak here or two), about Babcock/Lou.

People are blaming analytics. (like okay)
but i mean. let's just call a spade a spade here.

The people to blame are the people on the ice. Because, the organization has bent over backwards to make sure they got everything they needed/wanted to perform better. They didn't like how rigid Lou was - okay, and ooh look we can grow our hair long and have beards and crazy tattoos, wooohooo. They didn't like Babcock. they got rid of them. They wanted to play together and have more minutes. they got that. they wanted their way. They wanted the big mega bucks because they were superstars, they got the big mega bucks.

Nylander gets crapped on for years but every playoffs he gets better and better.

How exactly are the other two, Matthews and Marner paying off all of that that management gave them? exactly?
5th in NHL scoring and the Rocket? Wooo. Thanks boys.

I give zero craps about Matthew winning the Rocket. that is sprinkles. What I care about is that other people find aways to evolve their games when it matters (ie: in the playoffs), so you can win the cup. That's the goal. That's the point.. Danault and Gallagher are stumping him how he usually plays - find a different way to get through. Marner gets time and space in the regular season - after five years you can't figure out that's not happening in the playoffs? You guys can't adapt? you can't figure out something else? you just do the same stuff, and then go. "yeah well. what can i say?" "We didn't start on time." WHY?! WHY CAN'T YOU? You are on the ice for 18 minutes warming up, the coach (several of them now), are telling you what the game plans are, and so you are telling me between when you leave the locker room, and the national anthem, you forget? Like you just hatched out of an egg and have no idea how to hockey? you are amazed that every playoffs, there is no time and space,, and the crap you do in the regular season, is different in the playoffs?

I don't know how Dubas is going to do it but he has to trade one of them. Most likely Marner because he's the winger, and you don't get rid of the centre, and if it makes Matthews mad, well then be mad, and grow up and be better. those two looked more motivated trying to get #40 for Matthews, than winning games 5 , 6 or 7. They couldn't beat Columbus and Montreal. What are you going to do when Boston, Florida and Tampa come back into your division?. This was your best chance, and it's basically "meh. we're disappointed."

The most annoying thing is that if one of them shows up, we win the series. not even both, but one.

For the life of me i don't even see the point of watching this team until they make it to he 2nd round. I'll tell you what will happen.
They will do really well in their division. it will be tight. but they have the firepower to compensate for a lot of things. Then they'll get Boston and Tampa, and then they will lose. again. there i saved you several months of time, find something else to do. Watch WandaVision or something.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
if Andy was letting in all those muffins no one would be blaming Marner today

the first goal last night was brutal and i counted 3 goals in the series he let in that his was on the ice swimming like a mofo , not to mention a few goals where he wasn't squared up properly

good guy but just a b/u
Andersen was brought in as a starting goaltender and paid like one before he stepped foot on the ice. More is expected of him. Instead we have a career backup who needed to come in and bail Ander out because he left the team mid season whining about some bullshit injury. Under those circumstances Campbell was outstanding.

Reactions: supermann_98

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Was Marner really the problem or is Dubas's commitment to Marner the problem

Keefe's commitment to Marner more likely. The playoff goal scoring wilted after Keefe ramped up the ice time. He was apparently a competitive guy and able to play in a physical series and score goals against the Bs but not the Habs.

SeasonAgeTmLgGPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWSS%TSATOIATOIFOWFOLFO%BLKHITTKGV
2016-1719TORNHL6134101000911.12110717:48010.01956
2017-1820TORNHL72792420011711.82911917:032340.036103
2018-1921TORNHL7224-4210111910.52714420:3510100.0171110
2019-2022TORNHL5044-120000150.03412324:39004554
2020-2123TORNHL7044140000190.04017324:4310100.0694
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This year Marner led all NHL forwards in TOI. It wouldn't surprise me if he was 15lbs lighter in game 7 than at the beginning of the season. When you're lean you burn muscle for fuel and he is a shrimp to start with. The extra 2:00 a night killing penalties doesn't seem like it was a smart move. Save the crazy heavy minutes for OT games on your next team Sheldon.

2018-1921TORNHL822668942222223154818223311.2446162519:497558.343297867AS-3,Byng-18,Selke-14
2019-2022TORNHL59165167616106023218115410.4277127221:3371926.937246471AS-5,Byng-30,Selke-33
2020-2123TORNHL552047672120200053114215612.8295123322:264180.041235369
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Kurtz

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Well, If you don't like Dubas, you'll blame him. (and then. Shanahan for hiring him)

but that's what we were saying about Babcock and Lou. a lot of the vitriol people are spewing on Dubas/Keefe are the exact same things people said (maybe with a tweak here or two), about Babcock/Lou.

The people to blame are the people on the ice. Because, the organization has bent over backwards to make sure they got everything they needed/wanted to perform better. They didn't like how rigid Lou was - okay, and ooh look we can grow our hair long and have beards and crazy tattoos, wooohooo. They didn't like Babcock. they got rid of them. They wanted to play together and have more minutes. they got that. they wanted their way. They wanted the big mega bucks because they were superstars, they got the big mega bucks.

Nylander gets crapped on for years but every playoffs he gets better and better.

How exactly are the other two, Matthews and Marner paying off all of that that management gave them? exactly?

I give zero craps about Matthew winning the Rocket. that is sprinkles. What I care about is that other people find aways to evolve their games when it matters (ie: in the playoffs), so you can win the cup. That's the goal. That's the point.. Danault and Gallagher are stumping him how he usually plays - find a different way to get through. Marner gets time and space in the regular season - after five years you can't figure out that's not happening in the playoffs? You guys can't adapt? you can't figure out something else? you just do the same stuff, and then go. "yeah well. what can i say?" "We didn't start on time." WHY?! WHY CAN'T YOU? You are on the ice for 18 minutes warming up, the coach (several of them now), are telling you what the game plans are, and so you are telling me between when you leave the locker room, and the national anthem, you forget? Like you just hatched out of an egg and have no idea how to hockey? you are amazed that every playoffs, there is no time and space,, and the crap you do in the regular season, is different in the playoffs?

I don't know how Dubas is going to do it but he has to trade one of them. Most likely Marner because he's the winger, and you don't get rid of the centre, and if it makes Matthews mad, well then be mad, and grow up and be better. those two looked more motivated trying to get #40 for Matthews, than winning games 5 , 6 or 7. They couldn't beat Columbus and Montreal. What are you going to do when Boston, Florida and Tampa come back into your division?. This was your best chance, and it's basically "meh. we're disappointed."

The most annoying thing is that if one of them shows up, we win the series. not even both, but one.

For the life of me i don't even see the point of watching this team until they make it to he 2nd round. I'll tell you what will happen.
They will do really well in their division. it will be tight. but they have the firepower to compensate for a lot of things. Then they'll get Boston and Tampa, and then they will lose. again. there i saved you several months of time, find something else to do. Watch WandaVision or something.

I am not necessarily on the "fire Dubas" train, but, he has to be able to make the tough decisions. If all he's going to do is shuffle some bottom 6 guys around, then that's not good enough. If he is too attached to certain players on this team, then maybe then he is not the right guy for this franchise. We need someone who is ready to ship out ANYONE. Not for the sake of it, don't get me wrong, but someone who is not scared to shake things up in a major way.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Why is goaltending an option on here? Campbell's save percentage was over .950% until the third period of game six.

Unless he should learn to start scoring goals, why goaltending is an option is stupid.

He's the one you CAN'T blame at all.
I totally agree. In fact, I think Dubas should try to sign Campbell to a 3 year / $10 million extension (to pick a number) to show him support in the aftermath of the playoff letdown and his expressed self doubt, and to ensure we have at worst a 1B goalie at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
My issue with this whole episode is :
If it was a heated series and we gave it our all so be it, the better team won. But that is not the case here. There wasn't enough effort displayed, too many flat games for no apparent reason. If they were burnt out then conditioning is an issue and we address that aspect of the training team. The lack of remorse for losing is also a contentious bit for me. The lack of it tells me they feel no guilt. That's a problem in itself.
I guess Babs limited AM's ice time for a reason back in the day, I even made comment about it a few years ago. He always looked winded coming to the bench (he is better now).
This has become a very unlikable team because we know the talent is there but the compete isn't. Thay doesn't fly with me. Changes have to be made because leopards don't change their spots.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
This is all on dubas.

How do you make matthews the 3rd highest paid player on a 5 year deal after a career high of 73 points and never getting past the first round?

Marner shouldve gotten less but after the matthews deal its hard to blame him. 94 point high vs 73 is quite a difference.

We have half the cap spent on 4 forwards! In what way is that a good idea?

Then all the bad trades duabs has made.

4 years of losing in our first series under his watch. Dubas has to go.

Nov 27, 2010
Keefe, he got completely outcoached by Ducharme

1) Stubborn to a fault or just blind to not notice Matthews Marner aren't working in the playoffs, refuses to split them up or hard line match them against any other line.
2) Ridiculous penalty challenge in game 6
3) Refusal to remove Thornton from the PP or sit him for a game
4) Being the coach you need to be able to motivate your team, I get it they are pro's and making the big bucks and they need to show up themselves but you still need to be a sounding board for them.

And here's the quote of the playoffs

"When Kotkaniemi and Caufield came in, you could feel the series shift." - Sheldon Keefe

:mad:

Reactions: Kurtz

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Marner/Matthews are to blame in my opinion. I feel like Keefe had a poor coaching series for sure. The challenge in game 6 was terrible and cost us the game, his inablility to get Matthews away from Danault on home ice was terrible. We lost 3/4 at home, not nearly good enough with last change. But at the end of the day the Leafs were the better team in 5 of 7 games. So the questionable coaching decisions should really have been a non factor. If either one of Mitch or Auston shows up in any of the games that the Leafs lost, the series is ours. GM's have come and gone, coaches have come and gone, the only constant is the core. And the head of that snake is Mitch and Auston. They should not be surprised for being the focal point of criticism. They deserve every bit of it. Their pay grade does not allow for this many average nights, let alone off nights. It is just not acceptable. No more babying the big boys. They wanted the big boy money, now time to deal with the big boy heat. Plain and simple. Would be totally ok with seeing one of them out.

I've seen enough of the same uninspired product when the hockey gets harder.

Just hard for me to look at that roster and cast blame on management. And thats not even considering the prospects we have in the pipeline. This roster should have been fit to compete for the cup. The players failed. no ifs, ands, or buts.

should be a busy and interesting offseason
Part of me is kind of glad they lost, since it will force some hard decisions and make for an interesting off season. I would prefer that we were up a game or two on the Jets now though.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

I like angry daisy. Don't see it too often.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
So what would u do? We’ll write it down and refresh it in a year and see how good you are at being GM.

all the trades, signings, ufas and their cost (we can compare to their real numbers)
Actually milord, dubas DID GREAT THIS YEAR: HE brought IN EERRYBODY I WANTED: JOE; SIMMONDS, FOLIGNO, kept spezza. Those wer good cool moves. Joe did play in the wrong situations though. He should never play on the first unit pp anymore. Even the sharks knew that. So there, keefe and MALHOTRA DID WRONG FOR LIFE.

Now, we should get mo thugs family. Hittas, squarters. Blockas. Cheap again. This dirt cool. And since dubas signed the 40mil, we have to get spezza again, maybe anohter thugga instead of joe, like rinaldo. Those are exactly the type of thugs we should get. Since we ain't got money for anybody else no mo :biglaugh: I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT LIFE AND ICE HOCKEY SON! I LOVE IT!!! HARD!!! We is getting also like simmonds maybe back for the 700k, spezza too, for the same prize. Those were better players than marner and 34 in these playoffs again : LOL. What life. and team. I RULE THE WORLD!!!!!

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
WE IS GITTIN A LOT OF FOOLS CHEAP AGAIN DURING SUMMER!! EVEN TRADES SINCE OUR FOOLS AND DORKS FALL AGAIN!! :clap: WE LOVE LIFE AND LEAFS!! WE HAVE THE RIGHT CORE!! :laugh: WE HAVE THE RIGHT TALENT FOR SURE!! :biglaugh: IN EVERY PLACE OF THE ROSTER, COACHES AND ALL. MALHOTRA IS THE BBIGEST HERO. KEEFE TOO. What heroes. THEY KNOW JOE
'S PLACE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad