Proposal: Who do we move Morgan Rielly for?

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Won't happen he took a deal for the team in the last go.

He's gonna make a min of 6/7 per year

Dude is a stud. Why would he take a pay cut to be one of the only dudes who gives a shit. He also definitely knows Matthews is gone after the contract so why sign for term?

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
FYI - - Sandin will never be ready.

Too small, too slow and too soft - - that combination is the kiss of death for any defenceman’s NHL career.
He is not too soft, but he is pretty slow and small, and will need to improve skating and strength to reach his potential. He is an elite puck mover.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'd have Morgan Rielly near the top of my trade for list if we didn't already have him... I love defensemen like him. I even liked Paul Coffey on the Wings, and I hate everything about the Red Wings including Shanahan.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What kind of money does his agent ask for?
Seriously..................7.5M per? Or will there just be an exit to being a UFA and go to the highest bidder?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Quick Shifts: Maple Leafs must make call on Morgan Rielly soon - Sportsnet.ca

Not unlike JVR in 2018 or Hyman this July, the 27-year-old Rielly will have a chance to set himself up financially for the rest of his life.

He’s a smart guy. A loyal soldier who has battled through enough bruises, strains and breaks to know that earning years are limited.

“[My next contract has] obviously crossed my mind, but it’s not something that I spend a lot of time thinking about,” Rielly said Wednesday.

“Especially after a playoff loss, you don’t really think about that as much. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. But right now, it’s more just trying to deal with what happens on the ice. I have to take care of myself and just prepare for next season and get going. But in terms of the other stuff, that tends to take care of itself over time.”

Rielly is a dynamic playmaker and smooth skater in his prime. He could fetch a superior return to any of the Maple Leafs’ past “own rentals.” He’s also been usurped on Sheldon Keefe’s top power-play unit by the emerging and cap-kind Rasmus Sandin. That could diminish his point production as a Leaf in 2021-22.

You won’t find a better $5-million defenceman on the open market than Rielly. And his value may never be higher than now.

But if the brass isn’t shaking the core, walking their best D-man to a 2022 payday comes with a risk of its own.

“You never want to do that if you don’t have to with guys that are a key part of your team,” Dubas said.

“Patience is a good thing. That said, we will investigate it here as we go onto the summer. We will definitely have a conversation with J.P. about where they may be at and what Morgan may want to do.”

Patience sounds nice, to a point. One way or another, Toronto needs to be proactive here. The Rielly decision could define next season.

Syed Ammad rizvi

Nov 1, 2020
Quick Shifts: Maple Leafs must make call on Morgan Rielly soon - Sportsnet.ca

Not unlike JVR in 2018 or Hyman this July, the 27-year-old Rielly will have a chance to set himself up financially for the rest of his life.

He’s a smart guy. A loyal soldier who has battled through enough bruises, strains and breaks to know that earning years are limited.

“[My next contract has] obviously crossed my mind, but it’s not something that I spend a lot of time thinking about,” Rielly said Wednesday.

“Especially after a playoff loss, you don’t really think about that as much. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. But right now, it’s more just trying to deal with what happens on the ice. I have to take care of myself and just prepare for next season and get going. But in terms of the other stuff, that tends to take care of itself over time.”

Rielly is a dynamic playmaker and smooth skater in his prime. He could fetch a superior return to any of the Maple Leafs’ past “own rentals.” He’s also been usurped on Sheldon Keefe’s top power-play unit by the emerging and cap-kind Rasmus Sandin. That could diminish his point production as a Leaf in 2021-22.

You won’t find a better $5-million defenceman on the open market than Rielly. And his value may never be higher than now.

But if the brass isn’t shaking the core, walking their best D-man to a 2022 payday comes with a risk of its own.

“You never want to do that if you don’t have to with guys that are a key part of your team,” Dubas said.

“Patience is a good thing. That said, we will investigate it here as we go onto the summer. We will definitely have a conversation with J.P. about where they may be at and what Morgan may want to do.”

Patience sounds nice, to a point. One way or another, Toronto needs to be proactive here. The Rielly decision could define next season.
What has killed the leafs is patience. You don't ever want to be patient with your superstars who are always going to get better next year. Dubas took his sweet time with both Marner and Matthew's and look what happened. Paid through the teeth where we can't even win a round. If he had signed both of them a year earlier we could have saved 3-4 mil together and be set up much better to have a competent roster on the team. You always and always want to sign your superstars as soon as you can.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Morgan Rielly is not going anyhere. I heard, in my local radio, that leafs and his agent are in a VERY VERY early stage of contract extension talk.

Reactions: leafsgirl12

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
What has killed the leafs is patience. You don't ever want to be patient with your superstars who are always going to get better next year. Dubas took his sweet time with both Marner and Matthew's and look what happened. Paid through the teeth where we can't even win a round. If he had signed both of them a year earlier we could have saved 3-4 mil together and be set up much better to have a competent roster on the team. You always and always want to sign your superstars as soon as you can.
Matthew contract is fine. Only Marner is just plain highway robbery.
HOwever, MR is a different story. He is what he is. If Leafs rush it, Leafs may pay too much. However, looking at MM and Kadri's situation, I don't think MR will get a sweet deal like others.

Syed Ammad rizvi

Nov 1, 2020
HOwever, MR is a different story. He is what he is. If Leafs rush it, Leafs may pay too much. However, looking at MM and Kadri's situation, I don't think MR will get a sweet deal like others.
And I dont think he would give you a cent off when everyone tried to rob Dubas and did.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I appreciate Rielly, if we are moving him the Leafs need to change the look of the team. So, drumroll please. Rielly for Tom Wilson.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Why would a player sign 1 year early? Makes absolutely zero sense

Reactions: Super Mega

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
He's not worth the $7-8M he will likely ask for. Overrated offense. Need to fix PP and he's not good enough there. Trade for who? No idea who's available. But your immediate priority is acquiring that #1 dman.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's not worth the $7-8M he will likely ask for. Overrated offense. Need to fix PP and he's not good enough there. Trade for who? No idea who's available. But your immediate priority is acquiring that #1 dman.

It's a flat cap, I don't think those kinds of raises are available to players unless you're talking about someone with true star power.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I'm kind of of the believe that one of the limiting factors for the Leafs for the past few years is having Morgan Rielly play as a number one dman but not actually being a number one dman. He doesn't have the offensive IQ and he's defensively average but does tend to get walked. I really think that if this team decides to give him a $7M+ deal long-term then that will be the final coffin in cap hell.

At the same time though, it's hard to trade him because you're unlikely to get a player of equal value back, you'd end up having to trade for a young dman you're gambling on. Unfortunate scenario here might be to just let him play out the year on this contract then let him walk and hope to use that cap space for a better FA dman or a trade cos he ain't signing for less than $6 or 7 M.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What better time to extend Rielly. Meh for the past two years and coming of an epic playoff collapse during a pandemic. One would think even Kyle cannot fumble this negotiation.
upload_2021-6-5_13-39-3.jpeg

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

Paying $11m for a #2C is the definition of cap mismanagement. It doesn’t get any worse than that. Especially when they already had a good young #2C locked in at $4.5m

Reactions: ShooterMikgaven

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Paying Rielly $7m per would not be nearly as bad as paying Marner $10.5m per. Or paying a #2C who’s never win anything in his life $11m per.

PK Subban $9m
Ekman-Larsson $8.25M
Jake Trouba $8m
Jerry Spurgeon $7.775m
Ryan Suter $7.5m
Marc Vlasic $7m

Let me know who from that list you’d prefer over Rielly as the Leafs #1D.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
What better time to extend Rielly. Meh for the past two years and coming of an epic playoff collapse during a pandemic. One would think even Kyle cannot fumble this negotiation.

Maybe Dubas doesn't get generous and overpay with a cherry on top, but pays exactly what Rielly wants...:sarcasm:

Reactions: leafsgirl12

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I like Rielly.. can log plenty of 5 on 5 minutes. He retrieves pucks well, can get pucks out with a pass or skating and can join the attack.

It will be hard to spend top dollar on a guy that lacks deception and pp shooting capability. He is usually 5th choice on the PK. He is a very poor odd man rush defender ..makes poor reads. We are going to need guys to take something of a home town discount to win... so far Dubas has had no luck with that... we've paid through the nose for everyone so far and can't do it if we expect to win. You need well developed minor league talent to fill holes and that ship sailed for us when the Marlies won the Calder. We need to unearth more cheap talent.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
What kind of money does his agent ask for?
Seriously..................7.5M per? Or will there just be an exit to being a UFA and go to the highest bidder?
If I’m Seattle I probably offer 8 and slap a C on his jersey

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad