Who do we draft at #3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Marner. I was bummed we couldn't trade up for Nylander last year, if we don't end up with a blue chip winger this year I won't be pleased.

Someone posted Marner is playing C in his playoffs? Why is he still below Strome??

I could also see Barzal or Konecny. Both with a trade up, Barzal if he falls as well.

Would like to see a trade up from NYIs first to get Werenski as well.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Is it really Marner=Kane, or is that just wishful thinking?

Kane may be Marner's ceiling, but what are the odds that Marner hits that ceiling?

Marner has qualities that are in Giroulx, Kane, St Louis, and seems to have them in abundance. He potentially is that good. He does have a ways to go, every player does, and smaller players are always a bit of a wild card.

For me if I went strictly on personal viewings, it would be Marner over Eichel. In fairness though, Eichel I only saw in the WJC though, and while he was good, I thought he was definitely outclassed by McDavid by a fair bit, definitely more than I feel McDavid has outclassed Marner. With Marner being 8 months younger and a year less in birth year, I believe he may even be further from his top end than Eichel.

I like that Marner is the guy that stirs the pot in London, becoming the leader ahead of a very talented Max Domi, 2 yrs his senior. What happened when Domi left for the WJC? Marner upped his points per game by 50% for those games. MacCarron was scoring ferociously when playing with Marner, averaging .88 goals per game. Gets traded to a better Oshawa team and averages .20 goals per game. Different role mind you, but that is an amazing drop.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
For me if I went strictly on personal viewings, it would be Marner over Eichel. In fairness though, Eichel I only saw in the WJC though, and while he was good, I thought he was definitely outclassed by McDavid by a fair bit, definitely more than I feel McDavid has outclassed Marner. With Marner being 8 months younger and a year less in birth year, I believe he may even be further from his top end than Eichel.
I try my best to limit my comments to things I personally view as well. But when I lack enough personal info, I try to refrain from drawing a conclusion such as this. Make no mistake, I love Marner, his growth this year has been awesome, and I would be excited if we were to draft him, but if your opinion is that it's Marner over Eichel based on personal viewings, I think you need a few more viewings. Maybe you'd draw the same conclusion, and then we'd respectfully disagree, which is fine, but Eichel is the superior player.

Separately, and not addressing anyone in particular, the talk about McDavid totally outclassing Eichel, at the WJCs or otherwise, continues to confound me. I had McDavid and Eichel at 1-2 respectively at the start of the year and nothing that has happened has changed that, nor has one separated himself further from the other. What Eichel did at BU, in a variety of contexts, is nothing short of spectacular. Again, generally speaking here, referencing point totals in a league where goal-scoring is grossly inflated is only helpful in a relative sense when comparing other players in the same league. Bottom line, both were expected to be great and dominate, and both did. I love McJesus and pray we land him, but nothing has changed since last fall between those two.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Looks like we can lock this one up.

I can't tell you how glad I am we'll never have to debate the merits of Hanifin vs. Strome vs. Marner again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad