Who did you want in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I don't remember who I wanted. But can I just take this opportunity to say I hate when we trade good assets to move up a few places? I hated it in 2008 and i hated it here as well.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I will admit to wanting Biggs, and with the other pick I was hoping for a swing for the fences Euro/Russian type of pick.

buttman*

I thought Biggs was going to be good. Contrary to most -- the kid is an excellent skater. That said he has zero hockey IQ or below average hands.

I was left scratching my head when they gave up a second to move up. You don't give up assets to move up a few spots. I wanted them to just sit where they were and draft BPA.

Word on the street was Percy could have been had with the second round pick.

In fairness to Burke, he stated at the time his scouts recommended to move up and he was against it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Given at the time, We were a badly outmuscled team of smurfs. And a 18 year old rookie was our toughest player. I thought Biggs was the right player from this draft. A guy described to be atleast a sure bottom 6 NHL'er with the potential to be the next Milan Lucic. Hindsight is 20-20, but given the risk - reward and what happened that season prior to the draft. I can understand why the Leafs drafted him. Rivisionist historians will have a 20-20 hindsight recollection no doubt. At least we swung big for the fences back then.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I remember liking Jenner and McNeil at the time of the draft. I distinctively remember not wanting Biggs but figured the Leafs would take him.

Gretzkys99Problems

Apr 15, 2014
Alberta
Being out west and trying to watch Portland as much as I could cause we had drafted Ross the year before, I really wanted Rattie. Also wanted Zach Phillips.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Here's one of the threads about that draft.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=929651

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=928863

Here's how I think it will go down:

1) Burke will trade #30, #39 and a 2012 pick to get into the mid teens to grab either Biggs or McNeill.

2) Burke uses #25 to draft Puempel.

3) Burke trades #85 and #99 to get into the early 3rd round to grab Nick Shore if still available.

OMG Drew311 must have #TigerBlood #AdonisBlood

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I remember I was really high on Zibanejad, but he shot up the charts the last month or so before the draft. I was also really high on Siemens

I was hopeful one of McNeil/Oleksiak/Klefbom would fall.

In our range, I was hoping for Morrow/Puempel/Jurco/Jaskin and maybe Namestnikov, I can't remember if I was high on him or not. I was ok with Biggs if he fell to us at 25, I didn't like the idea of trading a pick to get him.

I remember I wanted absolutely no part in Phillips, Noeson, Rattie, Jenner or Granlund. I also wasn't big on Scheifele when people were talking about hoping to trade up and pick him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This was a fun time, I had recently joined the forum from another site to talk draft. I'm going to try to do this by memory but I remember posting about liking Mcneil, Danault, Sproul, Grimaldi, Klefbom, Jenner, Rattie, Puempel, Lessio, Miller, Phillips all from the perspective from picking 25 and 30.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
I can't lie I was pumped when I found out we traded up to get Biggs, he sounded so good before the draft. The second pick I was hoping for Rattie and liked Musil

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
tbh, I wanted biggs and get percy at 39. I wanted Jenner (im from Oshawa) too but I didn't want to not have 3 picks....

proper answer: Dougie Hamilton :sarcasm:

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Not really related to this thread, but I recall a behind the scenes feature about (I think) the Leafs at the 2007 draft (it was on Leafs TV). It was the year Ferguson traded all their picks for Vesa Toskala.

They interviewed one of the team's top scouts and he spent time trying to justify the trade the GM made along the lines of: "We (meaning the scounts) put in a lot of work (getting ready for the draft), but it was decided that the draft picks were needed to beef up the big team..." But the look on his face (I wish I could remember who it was) was priceless. It was essentially: "WTF are we doing?????"

It's always fun to look back.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Funny you seem to have rated Biggs rather highly prior to the draft:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=33578394&postcount=39

1. Edmonton - Adam Larsson
2. Colorado - Gabriel Landeskog
3. Florida - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
4. New Jersey - Ryan Murphy
5. NY Islanders - Sean Couturier
6. Ottawa - Jonathan Huberdeau
7. Winnipeg - Ryan Strome
8. Columbus - Dougie Hamilton
9. Boston (TOR) - Mika Zibanejad
10. Minnesota - Joel Armia
11. Colorado (STL) - Brandon Saad
12. Carolina - Duncan Siemens
13. Calgary - Sven Bartschi
14. Dallas - Jamieson Oleksiak
15. NY Rangers - Matt Puempel
16. Buffalo - Nathan Beaulieu
17. Montreal - Boone Jenner
18. Chicago - Rocco Grimaldi
19. Edmonton (LA) - Jonas Brodin
20. Phoenix - Mark Schiefele
21. Ottawa (NSH) - Ty Rattie
22. Anaheim - Tyler Biggs
23. Pittsburgh - Mark McNeil
24. Detroit - J.T. Miller
25. Toronto (PHI) - Daniel Catenacci
26. Washington - Scott Mayfield
27. Tampa Bay - Oscar Klefbom
28. San Jose - Zack Phillips
29/30. Toronto (BOS) - Brett Richie
30/29. Vancouver - Nicklas Jensen

Seems like you changed your mind! On two of the 3!

[ ] Not Rekt
[✓] Rekt

I didn't even follow this draft. Was too pissed about how much we sucked and about how the pick was gone.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not that I'm a fan of revisionist history but I never had a problem with drafting Biggs, per say .. I wasn't happy that the Leafs traded up to get him and lost out on their second round pick ... I would have rather stood pat and drafted BPA at #30 and #39

I remember Saad dropped because of personal issues, though IIRC he was a similar player to Biggs .. Would have been smart to stand pat and pick him if that's the type of player Burke wanted, but who knows what scouts would have done had they not traded up

Leafs would have still had Percy plus two more prospects

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I liked the Biggs pick, wanted Jenner and Puempel. Absolutely hated the Percy pick lol. Funny how things change. At least some of us can admit our wrongs though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad