OT: who did you cheer for 1997-2010 ?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
As a kid I tried Coyotes... that failed and disappeared pretty quickly.
Then my family moved out west... I couldn't really get enjoying the Canucks.
I did like Colorado and Detroit during a lot of that time frame, but that was merely me following players I liked.
This continued until the return...

So I guess the answer is no one. I waited and knew they'd be back.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Colorado

The last Jets game I saw was against the Avs, and I was blown away how good they were. Detroit would go on to eliminate the Jets so I naturally came to hate the Wings for that, and the Avs came along and beat the Wings in 6 that year. Match made in heaven.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Avalanche for me. What was not to like with Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Bourque, Blake, Drury, Hejduk, Foote, Deadmarsh, Young, Lemieux and Tanguay. Forsberg being my all time favorite player along with Selanne.

Actually liked them beginning in 1992/93

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Philadelphia. As I was like 7 or 8 I followed the first few years of the yotes, but then I learned of a young phenom Simon Gagne in 2000-2001. With the additions of Richards and Carter, two guys who I loved when I first started to follow the juniors during the lockout year, it just made the Flyers that much better. I still remember Joffrey Lupul scoring in OT to beat the caps in the playoffs in 08. :nod:

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Turned my back on the league also until I moved to Edmonton in 2003. Followed the Oilers but strongly support the return of NHL to Winnipeg.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Didn't follow any teams in particular. For a number of years playing fantasy hockey I could rattle off player stats like nobodies business but had no clue about actual Team standings.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Philadelphia. As I was like 7 or 8 I followed the first few years of the yotes, but then I learned of a young phenom Simon Gagne in 2000-2001. With the additions of Richards and Carter, two guys who I loved when I first started to follow the juniors during the lockout year, it just made the Flyers that much better. I still remember Joffrey Lupul scoring in OT to beat the caps in the playoffs in 08. :nod:

Pretty similar to me. Left hockey for years, then became good buddies with a die ahrd PIT fan...it only seemed natural to take up the Flyers. After following richards and Carter it made it easy too. Loved that team, and I remember completely losing my **** in a boston pizza the year they went to the final (it was the last regular season game, giroux beating lundqvist on the shootout just to get in).

Also remember watching them lose the final at another BP..wasn't even paying a whole lot of attention to the game as it seemed like they were destined to take it to game 7...pretty big let down.

Then the jets came back. a month later, Holmgren trades richards and carter, the two players i had "grown" into a flyers fan with....yah they made it pretty easy to jump ship, i barely follow them at all now (pretty much only when they play Pittsburgh)

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
My hockey progression is a little odd.

First and formost, I am a fan of every single Canadian hockey team, an will cheer for any one of them when they are the last ones left.

Right after the Jets left...Detroit was hands down the best team...so I was a wings fan. Then one day, I bought a Canucks hat. Then I watched a Mtl game. So I in turn became a casual fan of both teams. When I moved out to the west coast I follows the Canucks alot more closely and in turn followed Habs more closely.

I still remember watching Mtl beat Boston five nothing in game seven...to get beat by those ****ing flyers!

I have always hated the Flyers and the Bruins.

Anyways.

So I had a west team and an east team. I was confused when the Jets came back...and I was like alright what do I do with my East team. I tried to follow Mtl...but I just enjoyed watching them lose too much to actually cheer for them.

I still follow the Canucks though.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Mostly Montreal, especially the latter half of that timeframe (fan of Markov, Plekanec, Koivu, now Price, Subban, etc.) which was when I watched the most hockey.

The first part of that span I primarily followed Vancouver but lost interest when the team became about diving, biting, complaining about the refs, burning the city down and blaming the best goalie they ever had for team failures. I'm pretty sure I have some old Canucks and Canadiens stuff stashed away somewhere, but I have absolutely no idea where or what.

Generally every Canadian team a bit, especially in the playoffs, except Toronto. Can't stand the center-of-the-universe mindset, the "every free agent wants to play here" talk and the draft-pick-trading strategy of building a terrible team. I'm curious to see the poll results with a higher turnout, specifically to see if my theory that mostly casual fans cheer for the Leafs outside of Toronto is correct.

[/opinionated post]

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
When the Jets left I threw myself into the Manitoba Moose, and when they struck up their affiliation with the Canucks I naturally followed the progression of young guys like Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, Edler, Hansen, etc from the AHL to the NHL.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Mostly Montreal, especially the latter half of that timeframe (fan of Markov, Plekanec, Koivu, now Price, Subban, etc.) which was when I watched the most hockey.

The first part of that span I primarily followed Vancouver but lost interest when the team became about diving, biting, complaining about the refs, burning the city down and blaming the best goalie they ever had for team failures. I'm pretty sure I have some old Canucks and Canadiens stuff stashed away somewhere, but I have absolutely no idea where or what.

Generally every Canadian team a bit, especially in the playoffs, except Toronto. Can't stand the center-of-the-universe mindset, the "every free agent wants to play here" talk and the draft-pick-trading strategy of building a terrible team. I'm curious to see the poll results with a higher turnout, specifically to see if my theory that mostly casual fans cheer for the Leafs outside of Toronto is correct.

[/opinionated post]

The only part of this post i agree with is the last part :sarcasm:

What do you mean biting? What was burrows supposed to do when he got the guys glove shoved in his mouth lol. I still don't get the whole "diving is bad sentiment", and in all the Vancouver games that I watched...I've never noticed it being that bad. It happens in every single major sport regardless.

Also...it sounds to me like you have more of a problem with the Vancouver fan base then the team.

It was easy to stop with Habs when they started getting rid of my favorite players.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
When the Jets left I couldn't watch the NHL.

I was living in Calgary in 2004 when the Flames made their Stanley Cup run.

I began following them, but, it wasn't the same.

When the Jets came back so did my love for the NHL.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Ducks (more specifically, Selanne). We still buy Center Ice just to watch Ducks games.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

What do you mean biting? What was burrows supposed to do when he got the guys glove shoved in his mouth lol. I still don't get the whole "diving is bad sentiment", and in all the Vancouver games that I watched...I've never noticed it being that bad. It happens in every single major sport regardless.

Also...it sounds to me like you have more of a problem with the Vancouver fan base then the team.

It was easy to stop with Habs when they started getting rid of my favorite players.

To play devils advocate... Not bite? Just because it's there doesn't mean you do it.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

The "biting" was included in that post more as a joke. I honestly got sick of watching their games during their run to the finals though and that was a team I should have been happy for.

And yeah, I have more of a problem with entitled fan bases. It seems the ones that complain the most are the ones that have been considered contenders but haven't won a cup recently. Instead of enjoying their very good team go on a playoff run and come close, they ***** that they didn't win.

I cheered for the Canucks during the freaking Cloutier years (I had Canucks wallpaper even). How dare they complain about Luongo :laugh:

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
When the Jets left I threw myself into the Manitoba Moose, and when they struck up their affiliation with the Canucks I naturally followed the progression of young guys like Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, Edler, Hansen, etc from the AHL to the NHL.

That was me starting around 2005-06. I'm only 24 so I was too young to cheer on Jets 1.0. Prior to cheering on the Moose/Canucks...

Lived near Edmonton and went to a game there as a Christmas present one year. Oilers vs. Canucks and I pretty much just watched Bure the entire time. So that started some love for the Canucks.

I kinda liked the Canucks until moving here, but I was first and foremost a Leafs fan most of my life. Damn influential uncle. It was alright being a Leafs fan in the late 90s/early 00's though. The playoff series' against the Sens and Flyers are still some of my favourite hockey memories.

Had an epiphany and jumped off that ship completely around 2009. Cheered the Canucks on 100% and watched every one of their games until the Jets came back. The end of that season is when I joined up here. :)

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
NHL lost me when the Jets left until around 2000-ish playoffs, Van/Stl series brought my interest back... Leafs 2001-2011... Love turned to hate May 2011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad