Who deserves the credit for VGK success?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The city of Vegas. No secret why the home record is so good. Visiting teams go out and experience the city the night before and are sluggish for the game. The city of Vegas is the biggest reason for their success

This is honestly getting annoying at this point. Of all the ways to dodge giving credit to Gallant, McPhee, and the players...this is the lamest. Even if this were a thing do you really think that by now with Vegas in second place, away teams would be allowed to go party before game day?

If this Vegas "flu" were a thing, by now it wouldn't be anymore. Players actually give a shit about winning.

First #1 pick was in 2010, that was Taylor Hall. The team was shallower than a spit on a ground. Hall got elevated pretty quickly and though he played well, there was nothing behind him.
2011 was Nuge, who is a good player but not exactly a superstar. Same situation, except with a draft+1 Hall in the lineup. This year sucked too.
2012 was Yakupov. Bust.
2015 was McDavid, which was only a 12.5% chance. Odds were stacked against the Oil, but it happened. Though it's obvious why the league-wide disillusionment was there.

With the expansion rules that were in place for other expansion teams in the 90s and 2000, they left the expansion team in a much harsher position. Though it also was in an era where NMC's were very rare, so that only further added to teams getting handcuffed in their protection lists. This leaves Vegas in a pretty favourable position when it comes to exploiting the issues faced by teams who can't protect the players they want to.

I was in the camp of people thinking they came in not having any real glaring weaknesses (I was skeptical on their defense, but still felt they had it better than some sieve-like d-cores from other teams). Why they're atop is weird to me, but it could circle back to the lack of glaring weaknesses part. They were able to gel pretty easily, despite the goalie carousel, and the Shipachyov "disaster" (a symptom of their better-than-expected system, he was simply not needed like they he was back in the summer).

But hey, they're in my division, I'm jealous/annoyed at their success in spite of other Oilers fans jumping on the bandwagon due to the lack of established rivalry. We're supposed to not like them, damn it!!

Edmonton was just one example. Florida under Gallant is a better one. They surprised the league with what was considered a subpar roster. Now he's running Vegas and they're trying to steal the top spot in the league.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
The league for setting up favorable rules for an expansion team. The complaint about GMGM wasn't that he couldn't build a competitive team. It's that he wouldn't bring in a coach that could get them over the top.

PeanutButterPoti

Dec 17, 2017
Edmonton was just one example. Florida under Gallant is a better one. They surprised the league with what was considered a subpar roster. Now he's running Vegas and they're trying to steal the top spot in the league.
And that shows both the merits of Gerard Gallant's ability, and Florida's absolutely awful asset/coaching management. I'd be shocked at this point if Gallant doesn't win the Jack Adams at the end of the year.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The league for setting up favorable rules for an expansion team. The complaint about GMGM wasn't that he couldn't build a competitive team. It's that he wouldn't bring in a coach that could get them over the top.
Except the complaint after the expansion draft was that he absolutely bombed with his selections so while I'm sure not everyone bemoaning favorable rules was in that crowd of naysayers I'm sure there's plenty of turnover from people who said they blew it to now saying Vegas was gifted a strong team.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Probably Gallant deserves the most credit for getting the most out of that roster.

But really, everyone deserves credit, especially the players for always playing with a good attitude. A honorable mention to Florida who pissed away some of their best players for no reason. I was a big fan of Marchessault's play last season already so I'm happy to see that he's been lighting it up with Vegas this season.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
What you can expect team coming from Vegas? Success. Make no mistake about it, they are from Las Vegas.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Plenty of credit to go around for players, coach, and gmgm. More wins already than I expected all year.

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
Playing in the Pacific is really helping them out. They are something like 11-1 against the Pacific.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Gallant is the easy answer but I think some honorable mention should go to the pro scouts and the physical trainers. Vegas is so well conditioned, it's scary.

Where were you when this board was screaming bloody murder that Vegas failed the expansion draft and would be fishing for Dahlin?

Quite a few ppl on here pushed back against the narrative that LV would be a dumpster fire. Most of the ppl knocking LV's choices the loudest clearly did not understand the process. But after you've explained it to them 5 times and other ppl have explained it 10 times, you let their rant drown out everyone else. It's the HF way.

That said, I didn't see ppl saying that LV would be at the top of the standings. They looked like they could be a middle of the pack team, which I think was the intent of the new expansion rules. So congratulations to GMGM, Gallant, the players, the owner and the fans for surpassing expectations.

I like the new expansion rules. Foley paid $500M for the team. He should get a decent team and have a chance to compete. It's in the best interests of the owners, who will want Seattle, Houston, QC, or wherever else to pay a premium price.

McStimperi

Apr 6, 2012
Finland
McPhee and Gallant.
Who here would honestly think William Karlsson would be this good (30+ goals) and would have drafted him in the expansion draft?

Well, the thing is, that he is not a lock for 30+ goals. When he starts to bury the puck in a reasonable rate, the production will fall off a cliff with his shot volume.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Well, the thing is, that he is not a lock for 30+ goals. When he starts to bury the puck in a reasonable rate, the production will fall off a cliff with his shot volume.

You're right, he's not a lock for 30+ goals. But it looks pretty damn probable given that if he hits 30 goals, it means his production dropped 50% in the second half of the season. That's not exactly high expectations going forward.

Always

Aug 18, 2015
Before the season started, everyone on here trashed George McPhee for picking a horrible roster. He was considered a joke on here and nobody thought the team could even come close to the playoffs. Are his expansion picks completely redeemed at this point (and are people willing to admit they were wrong)? He was widely considered a bottom-3 GM to start this season but could easily win GM of the year.

Then there's Gerard Gallant, as a coach he's definitely gotten the most out of his players. He should win the Jack Adams this year for what he's done. Looking at the roster they have, does GG deserve more credit than McPhee?

The players also deserve credit for performing way above expectations, but would they have been able to do so without Gallant, or McPhee to an extent?

Lastly, does Gary Bettman get credit for changing the expansion rules to make it much more favorable than in past years?

Let me know who you think deserves the most credit for their success, sorry I'm kind of asking a lot of questions.

All of them, this is a team game and Las Vegas epitomizes this, they play a team game and everyone buys in. For this to happen you have to get the coach and GM and players have to buy into the system no Superstar Syndrome here everyone plays their game and play for each other the way the game is supposed to be played.

Reactions: Trilliann and dood

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Congrats to Vegas, and to my choice, Gallant. The whole organization deserves credit. I know one thing, I wouldn't want to be facing them in the first round and falling one game behind. The pressure, whew, enormous.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Shipachyov. For awhile he was the only player, so he set the benchmark. Then everyone joining thought "I've got to be better than that guy to make the team" and they pushed themselves.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
the league (10%) - for accepting a big chunk of cash, and allowing LV to select some decent players.
GMGM (40%) - i was saying that i thought he made some nice selections, so not EVERYONE was ripping into him.
Gallant - (10%) he is a motivator, but i think he fails on the technical aspect. but maybe he's learned?
players - (40%) working hard and buying in to the system.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I trashed GMGM this summer. I was clearly wrong. I hope he wins GM of the year because what he’s done is so impressive.

Vegas is a fun team. Hopefully they grow their fan base quickly after such a great start.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Gotta figure Gallant is the main guy. Everyone doubted the team with the player selections, but he's made it all work. There's been some standout performances, but no real star power.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad