Who could have a fantastic season if he played full season?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Bryan Rust probably would have hit 20 goals if he hadn't missed 10 games and/or had a terrible start to the season.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I'm sorry what? Wouldn't it be more likely that the guy that has averaged .44 assists per game over 212 games would have less assists per game as he's already kinda proven that so far he's not a great play maker? Why would you assume that he would increase his assist rate by OVER 200% just because he played 14 more games? Seems far more likely that he'd drop in rate as opposed to increase.

After all.. haven't we had to hear throughout his career that he's a much goals per game or goals per 60 player than those who outscore him? So why apply the opposite assumptions to his playmaking abilities?

He would have 50 assists pretty easily, he had almost 40 this year with being injured a few times. 50-50 would seem pretty fair if he were to stay healthy. I don't get how saying 50 was so unrealistic, he is actually a good playmaker with people who can bury it.

Anyway, he has not stayed healthy, case closed.

Reactions: Saint Blue

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Matthews could probably go 50-50-100 if he could ever play a full season.

It’s hard to see him hitting 100 points when he’s not a great playmaker.

Could see him hitting 50 goals though, his release is one of the best in the game.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I'm sorry what? Wouldn't it be more likely that the guy that has averaged .44 assists per game over 212 games would have less assists per game as he's already kinda proven that so far he's not a great play maker? Why would you assume that he would increase his assist rate by OVER 200% just because he played 14 more games? Seems far more likely that he'd drop in rate as opposed to increase.

After all.. haven't we had to hear throughout his career that he's a much goals per game or goals per 60 player than those who outscore him? So why apply the opposite assumptions to his playmaking abilities?
He played at a 45 goal, 44 assist pace this year despite not being 100% healthy. Doesn’t seem unreasonable he could hit 50 and 50 in a healthy year.

You are relying on his low assist total from his rookie season to make your point. He is a natural goal scorer and it is clear he is learning to become a better playmaker as he develops his game at the NHL level which is why his assists have been increasing each year.

Year 1: 29 assists, 0.35 APG
Year 2: 29 assists, 0.47 APG
Year 3: 36 assists, 0.53 APG

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
He played at a 45 goal, 44 assist pace this year despite not being 100% healthy. Doesn’t seem unreasonable he could hit 50 and 50 in a healthy year.

You are relying on his low assist total from his rookie season to make your point. He is a natural goal scorer and it is clear he is learning to become a better playmaker as he develops his game at the NHL level which is why his assists have been increasing each year.

Year 1: 29 assists, 0.35 APG
Year 2: 29 assists, 0.47 APG
Year 3: 36 assists, 0.53 APG
Min 30 GP:

Year 1: 143rd in assists/gp
Year 2: 78th in assists/gp
Year 3: 62nd in assists/gp

He's definitely slowly creeping up towards being a better playmaker. I agree I wouldn't be surprised to see 50-50 next year or the year after from Matthews

Reactions: Yackiberg8

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011

You mean the guy who went 37g 36a this season? No he could never have a 50/50 split, you're right.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Andrew Shaw was on pave for 25 goals and 61 points over an 82 game season. Considering most people thought he was done, that's pretty impressive.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Pretty sure his production spikes whenever he comes back from injury and slowly dips from there. Could be normal ups and downs of season but he doesnt seem need time to get into groove after a injury so far.

That’s fairly common. Players feel great for a few after missing time.... and then drop down when conditioning comes back into play.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Perron was on pace for a 30+ goal 30+ assist season which would have been the best of his career. Went down with an injury when he was on a 13 game point streak.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
him and Pastrnak both.

Bergeron would've had a 40 G 100 PT season

Pastrnak would've had a 50 G 100 PT season and threatened for the Rocket

those were the first two that jumped to my mind (and the Bruins whole defence for the first half of the season). - also because their injuries probably dragged Marchand's totals down a bit as that line was only together 40-45 games this season.

A 100 point Bergeron wins the Hart, Lindsay and Selke.
Pasta challenges Ovy for the Rocket
And although Marchand doesn't catch Kucherov, there's a good chance he comes in 2nd.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Erik Karlsson didn’t have a great start to the season, but he was rounding into form and looking like an absolute monster before he got hurt. He had 30 points and a +17 in his last 26 games.
This. He was on a tear before getting injured. The same pattern every season, starts off slow and then picks it up big time. You can count on him going ppg in a year where scoring is up. Knowing he is a big point producer in a normal year, going over ppg this year is within reason.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Mikko Koivu

Had some great beginnings to seasons, only to get cut short with some big-scale injury in January/February timeframe. Could have easily hit that 80 point marker I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad