Who Contributed More To Their Dynasty Team

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Good question....

They were both very important players for their teams.

Tonelli was one of the guys who really made the Islanders a special team, and he and Goring may have been the dynasty's best players along with their three big stars. Tonelli sometimes played on the top line, but was usually on one of the middle lines, which were very strong lines. He was a bulldog, skated like crazy, and had some skills.

Lowe was also excellent, a top player when he was at his best. Unlike Tonelli - who kind of epitomized the Islanders - Lowe's strengths were different from the powerful offensive heart of the Oilers. He moved the puck quite well when he was young but was really a defensive anchor.

I'd say they were roughly the same in importance....maybe Tonelli by a little.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Tonelli wins this. He assisted on Nystrom's goal to start the dynasty. He scored the two big goals in 1982 vs. Pittsburgh (the tying and overtime goal) in the only series the Isles were in danger of losing. Then he sort of made the play that upended a Rangers player who lost the puck to Sutter who shot it and had Morrow slap in the rebound in 1984 in overtime. He was there for a lot of key moments. If you were to ask me who deserves the HHOF more, Lowe or Tonelli, I'd have said Tonelli every time, and still do. Lowe is the one who got in though, but he didn't have Tonelli's impact. I don't think Tonelli was elite enough for long enough to be in the HHOF either, but he was better.

I will say this, Lowe was more important in 1988 and 1990 when Coffey was gone. But it was more of a committee on defense at that time and 1990 had plenty of players stepping up, not just him, to make up for Gretzky being gone.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Tonelli as he was the leading ES point getter on that dynasty team in the playoffs with 60 ESP, more than Trottier, Bossy or Potvin.

NHL Stats

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Tonelli definitely. One question I have comparing the 2 dynasties though is how similar were Lowe and Morrow in their roles? Were they analogous to one another?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad