Who comes out of the West?

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Hawks or Ducks.

Minnesota will choke.
St. Louis have a few issues and Jake Allen isn't good enough to carry them the way he's playing.
San Jose don't look all that hot outside of Burns.
LA can't do it with Budaj and Quick won't be back to top form this year.

You sure about that? The Blues are 5-1 since the coaching change and Allen has been solid. Martin Brodeur is also now the goalie coach.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
but the boogie man is still here. Kane puts up like 10 points a game against minny when it counts
It sounds like you are saying that the Hawks are as good as they were in 14/15 and the Wild are not any better than they were in 14/15.

I guess that would be comforting to some.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minnesota or SJ, I think. Would be a fascinating series between those two, I think. Especially given the Burns factor.

I Think Coyle needs to grow a beard, then have center ice crashes at full speed with Burns.

Had to laugh at the OP's mention of the Oilers.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Los Angeles Kings. After Quick returns in mid March, the Kings squeak into the last wild card spot and go on to become the second 8 seed to win the Stanley Cup. Quick wins his second Conn Smythe. :yo:

That's a way more likely scenario than the Oilers.

I will never discount the Preds and STL. They definitely are capable of knocking off any one team in the West. Don't think they can win more than one or two series, though.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I see the Hawks as more of a sure thing then the Pens or Caps, whom I would place a notch below, imo.

I think the Jackets come out the East, personally
Hawks are a contender but still a notch below the big guns this year due to poor depth.

I see one of Washington/Pittsburgh from the east and one of SJ/Minn/Chicago from the west. Even if Columbus beats Pittsburgh they'd get clobbered by Washington. I don't think any team in the Metro can beat both Washington AND Pittsburgh, and the Atlantic teams aren't strong enough to pose a real threat.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
I'd disagree with anyone putting the Hawks in the conversation. They're a worse team than even last season. Yes, the west is weaker than it was last season too. But I think this is really between the Sharks and Wild. I could see a 7 game series with those two teams. I think the Hawks will likely lose to Minnesota this year in the playoffs in 5 or 6. Minnesota just seems to have their number this year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'd disagree with anyone putting the Hawks in the conversation. They're a worse team than even last season. Yes, the west is weaker than it was last season too. But I think this is really between the Sharks and Wild. I could see a 7 game series with those two teams. I think the Hawks will likely lose to Minnesota this year in the playoffs in 5 or 6. Minnesota just seems to have their number this year.

Chicago is a better team this year than last year. And they lost in 7 games to another great team, its not like they were dismantled.

Minnesota has won the season series against Chicago every year since 2014.

There are several arguments for why Minne might finally get over the hump this season, but regular season results against the Hawks arent one of them.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Chicago is a better team this year than last year. And they lost in 7 games to another great team, its not like they were dismantled.

Minnesota has won the season series against Chicago every year since 2014.

There are several arguments for why Minne might finally get over the hump this season, but regular season results against the Hawks arent one of them.

The Hawks were dismantled*

*= Patrick Kane

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Too early to tell before the deadline.

I really like the makeup of the Ducks ..they have some assets that they can trade to make they're team even waay better. Assets like Theodore montour or even Vatanen

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The primary difference between the Hawks and Wild in previous playoffs series was not Chicago's big names, but Crawford, who has consistently had the Wild's number.

However, the Wild's young core is now 2-4 years more experienced in the NHL and they are just now entering their primes.

:nod:

4-0 .947 sv%

4-2 .926 sv%

4-1 .950 sv%

Plickspect

Jan 21, 2016
:nod:

4-0 .947 sv%

4-2 .926 sv%

4-1 .950 sv%

Yep. Even if you argue that the Wild are better than the Hawks right now, Crawford comes to play against the Wild in the postseason. Although the Wild are notably better offensively this year and I believe the Hawks defensive depth is not as strong as previous years, will it be enough to tilt the scales? It should be, but we've seen how lights out Crawford can be against Minnesota time and time again, even as evidenced by the game last week.

Pretty much because of him alone Chicago is still my pick, with the Wild ever so marginally behind, although San Jose scares me, too.

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Sharks
Wild
Hawks
Oilers

That order. All 4 are the only perennial players in the conference IMO. The rest may win some games but their inconsistent as hell.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't see the Oilers with any realistic shot this year. You have to walk before you run, or whatever that saying is. They obviously have a bright future but winning one round is about as much as I think they could do this year.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Not going to lie. I fear Kane. Wild played the Hawks very well in most of the playoff games the last three years but great games by Crawford kept them in, and "showtime" rammed the spear through our chests to "steal" wins. Playoff Hawks are different than regular season Hawks.

SJ in a groove is also frightening.

Wild have a better chance than they've ever had headed into the playoffs. The scoring is just sooooo much better while the D and tending remain tight.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sharks
Wild
Hawks
Oilers

That order. All 4 are the only perennial players in the conference IMO. The rest may win some games but their inconsistent as hell.

Heh?

Oilers are perennial players? What is this, 1987?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This year is set up for the Wild. They've already had some solid playoff success with a worse team (and coach) in the past. Beat Blues with ease, dominated some games in a series that they lost to the Hawks the year they won their last cup (IIRC). It's actually a very experienced team combined with a lot of youth and those young players hitting their primes.

There's not really a single team in the West they couldn't beat this year. If anything (unlike before) you could say they're better than most teams they will face.

Sharks and Wild WC final would be fierce. Two teams that desperately want to win. For Jumbo Joe it's likely the last year he's got enough left in the tank to make a successful run, for Koivu it's the first year they have a legit shot after captaining the team for a decade. That would be an epic series.

So yeah.. to me it's either the Wild or Sharks.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think it's either going to be Chicago or Minnesota. And until Minnesota proves they can beat Chicago in the playoffs, I have to go with the Blackhawks.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't see the Oilers with any realistic shot this year. You have to walk before you run, or whatever that saying is. They obviously have a bright future but winning one round is about as much as I think they could do this year.

I'm an Oilers fan and I agree. I don't think we have the D core just yet to win a lengthy series against the big 3 in the West right now.

Klefbom, Larsson, and Nurse are all still in their early 20s, they'll be a force as they grow older. However, right now we don't have the type of D like the Sharks/Hawks/Wild at this moment in time.

I think we can possibly make some noise in a first round matchup. I'd be comfortable thinking we can win a series against ANA/CGY/STL in round 1 if we matched up with him. We have the talent and depth to win a series against any of them.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

I am so surprised by this, ItsMyFault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad