Who became better players after playing with elite players?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Cheechoo.

I think that's different - Cheechoo was great on Thornton's wing but didn't learn how to become great without him.

Best example: Jake Voracek.

We still don't know if guys like Panik or Maroon will be more like Cheechoo or more like Voracek.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Anson Carter

Anson Carter's season with the Sedins in Vancouver was his third best season points or PPG wise. He had two better or more productive seasons prior to that in Edmonton.

He was who he was. Except with the Sedins his goal-to-assist ratio tilted more towards goals which is natural because it's the Sedins, passing maniacs.

Or, actually, Carter was worse after he left Vancouver. He didn't become better at all. He became a pancake.

Sedin's on the other hand took off like crazy after having played with Carter. ;)

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Dubinsky lucked into centering Jagr early in his career, and has said he learned a ton from him. I think Jagr has had that effect on a lot of players in the league by this point.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
I know this probably relates to current, but Lemieux credits Gretzky after playing with him in the 87 Canada cup in teaching him what it took to win championships.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Dubinsky lucked into centering Jagr early in his career, and has said he learned a ton from him. I think Jagr has had that effect on a lot of players in the league by this point.

Barkov, Huberdeau, Benn, Voracek definitely come to mind

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I know this probably relates to current, but Lemieux credits Gretzky after playing with him in the 87 Canada cup in teaching him what it took to win championships.

In a similar vein, Jagr often credits Lemieux as his mentor and teacher. Of course both Lemieux and Jagr would have been great anyway, but both have been open in citing the positive influence of an all time great mentor.

I think that John LeClair is a very good example. He left Montreal at 25 years old as a big, gritty middle six winger. Lindros carried LeClair at first, but after a year or two LeClair was one of the best wingers in hockey even when Lindros was out of the lineup.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Gonchar did wonders for beaulieu and jumped him from fringe nhl D to top4.

Markov has done this with komisarek, streit, subban, souray, etc

Toews became even better with hossa

Marchand with bergeron

Etc

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Chris Clark scored 20 and 30 goals playing on a line with Alex Ovechkin.

The most he scored before was 10, the most he scored after was 7.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Two weeks ago, John Hayden looked like an NCAA player.

But now, playing with Toews, he's at a PPG pace.

#Intangibles

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Maroon went from a 4th liner to a 1st liner because of McDavid (and Draisaitl)

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Hawks moved Panik to the right of Toews a couple weeks/months ago. Guy doesn't even look like the same player.

Wrong, Panik was not made good by Toews, guy seems like he busted his butt all summer and came back to play this year and has been great where ever he was put. Toews didnt show up till about 20 games ago though, maybe that is who you are referring to?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Wrong, Panik was not made good by Toews, guy seems like he busted his butt all summer and came back to play this year and has been great where ever he was put. Toews didnt show up till about 20 games ago though, maybe that is who you are referring to?

You know that Toews wasn't what I was referring to, stop trolling....:facepalm:

Panik had a strong first month, but fell into becoming a somewhat average player up until he, Toews, and Schmaltz were put together. And then they made beautiful, exciting hockey plays.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Al Secord with Denis Savard and Steve Larmer.

Simmer with Dionne?

Janney and Hull

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Marc Methot with Karlsson.

Colin Greening with Spezza then became the opposite of good again.

Zack Smith with Mark Stone. Difference is legit insane.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013

Lemieux had already finishes 2nd and 3rd in the scoring race before playing in that tourny. But it's true lemieux really took off after seeing Gretzkys work ethic. I believe he even quit smoking around that time as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad