Speculation: Who are your TOP candidates on the Canucks to exhibit #BEASTMODE?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
How did that hamper Linden when he was an 18 year old kid on the Canucks?

Bo can learn from the guy the Canucks hope he can be like one day, i.e. the obvious pick:

Ryan Kesler.

If he can make it like Bergeron did in 2003-04, then by all means have him here.

However, as far as Linden was here...he was coming off back-to-back Memorial Cup wins, they are different people in different situations. The NHL is not what it was in 1989.

Personally, I'd rather give Bo another year down there, see him flourish offensively as a key cog to a very good London team that has a very legitimate shot at the Memorial Cup. It's hard for me to keep him up here knowing he could win a Memorial Cup, WJC Gold, and become a bigger offensive threat down in London.

Furthermore, what's holding Bo from learning from Kesler in 2014-15?

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
  1. Roberto Luongo
  2. Ryan Kesler
  3. Kevin Bieksa
  4. Zack Kassian
  5. David Booth

Those are my top five for breakout. Edler gets the honorable mention

Add my vote to this list.

Luongo b/c he has something to prove and a fiery approach when he's been pushed.

Kesler because he's an iron-will guy consistently.

Bieksa because he shows flashes of that fire but I think this will be stoked under the new coach.

Kassian similar to Bieksa, I think he's been unsure of what to do from Sabres or even junior days, he plays hard, goes over the edge and is suspended/benched/told to tone it down. I think/hope the new coaching regime will let him err on going too hard rather than not hard enough.

Booth because that's the only way he's effective, if he can stay healthy then he is a beast.

Edler was singled out (not negatively IMO) as someone the coach wants to get more out of, and he's got the tools to do it, this coach will demand he use them.

Burrows I'd also toss in as someone who like Kesler is an all out there kind of guy, I think the team will resemble him more in character now and hopefully Burrows will feel reinforced in his ways.

Betamax*

If he can make it like Bergeron did in 2003-04, then by all means have him here.

Agreed.

However, as far as Linden was here...he was coming off back-to-back Memorial Cup wins, they are different people in different situations. The NHL is not what it was in 1989.

Well, there's an open spot for Hovart to grasp. Brent Sutter, Canada's National Junior Coach from his interview on TEAM 1040 gave the impression that he's ahead in terms of development over a one year older Gaunce.

Hovart appeared in two Memorial Cups ... winning one.

Personally, I'd rather give Bo another year down there, see him flourish offensively as a key cog to a very good London team that has a very legitimate shot at the Memorial Cup. It's hard for me to keep him up here knowing he could win a Memorial Cup, WJC Gold, and become a bigger offensive threat down in London.

Sure, but if he can contribute in the NHL ... I'd rather see him as a third line Centre that can play meaningful minutes paired with good quality players like a Hansen and Burrows.

Furthermore, what's holding Bo from learning from Kesler in 2014-15?

Nothing. But if he can learn from him a year earlier, why not?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Thread needs more Edler. In fact, he and Kesler are the only two guys on the team who have truly gone into such a mode in the past.
A very frustrating and disappointing year. I owe it to God, my family and the fans to come back next year in #beastmode
I swear, Booth is such a god-**** weirdo. :laugh:

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
Jannik Hansen: gets better every year, seems to be a sure bet to be one of Torts favorites. If Kassian falters I can easily see Hansen ending up as a top 6 winger & having a 50 point year.

Dale Weise: Speed, grit, defencively responsible, has shown a scoring touch at every other level & just turned 25 years old. Can easily see him taking a step up & ending up as a 3rd line winger.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
im going off the reservation and gonna say Chris Higgins. I think he's got a lot more to give ...should be an elite 3rd liner, or a solid complimentary 2nd liner, a la Knuble

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Luongo needs more love in this thread. He's shown time and time again that he can take over a game and shut teams down in full-on beastmode, and yet someone like David Booth who has never once exhibited that in a Canucks jersey is who we're talking about?

Puh-lease.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Luongo needs more love in this thread. He's shown time and time again that he can take over a game and shut teams down in full-on beastmode, and yet someone like David Booth who has never once exhibited that in a Canucks jersey is who we're talking about?

Puh-lease.

Yea, what we all need is more Luongo talk.

sdbullet

Dec 19, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
My top candidate for beast mode is:

Bo Horvat, this kid is going to come in full of energy and be an absolute terror on a line of:

Booth - Horvat - Hansen

He will definitely force Torts to make a tough decision on Jordan Schroeder.

My hope as Kellen Lain also comes to play with that beastmode attitude

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
It seems like almost every player on the team has been listed in here, but it makes sense. With a new coach and system, everyone has the chance to improve.

I'm expecting the Sedins to step up big this year. I think they're pretty motivated to improve under Torts.

Also, are people seriously trashing Booth's training AGAIN? Did we not cross this bridge before? The guy is a fitness nut. If anything, he overdoes it.

I'm glad he doesn't post pictures of himself in the gym. That's a douchey thing to do, and he's already enough of a dunce on twitter.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
beastmodes we've seen before that i'd like to see again: NAS series kesler, LA series edler (the first LA series, obvsly)

sustained beastmode i'd love to see for the first time: kassian

but i think none of the above would matter if we don't at least get some prolonged stretches of godmode sedins (stretch run of '10 season, for example), and godmode luongo (doesn't have to be ANH series-level godmode, but he has to hit godmode).

but actually, thinking about it again, the beastmode i would really most like to see, which is impossible now, is that game against DET when manny (and to a lesser degree, raffi) had the wings D coughing up the puck like a junior high quarterback getting blitzed in a game against varsity. what could have been...

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Rangers fan here, should be interesting with the doach swap. But question for Nucks fans....who policed for Vancouver under AV and how did AV use his tough guys if at all. I seem to think that Vancouver had a team toughnesd approachl is this correct? Who kept guys from running the Sedins?

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Rangers fan here, should be interesting with the doach swap. But question for Nucks fans....who policed for Vancouver under AV and how did AV use his tough guys if at all. I seem to think that Vancouver had a team toughnesd approachl is this correct? Who kept guys from running the Sedins?

The Refs,the rules, the PP, and the league wanting offensive hockey...

Until the SCF 2011, then that all stopped...

But no person...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It wasn't much of an approach, IMO-- It was pretty much just "if someone takes a run at someone, act really pissed/start shoving and if you're a someone who fights, fight". There was no legitimate protection-- The fourth liners would fight to keep their jobs, and Bieksa/Alberts/Kassian would occassionally do something. No better than what any team in the league would do.

Although to his credit, Kassian seemed to try to police a bit when he played with the twins.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

AV adheres to a "let them take penalties" approach. Therefore, no one stood in for the Sedins when opposing teams took liberties. It was among the primary reasons Gillis got Kassian and seems determined to rectify that philosophy. In partial fairness to AV, we do not have many big bodies that would drop the gloves or risk penalties. And those we do have are also our better players, aka Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows and even Edler. So there is some legitimacy to how AV handled things, even if I argue there are times when you simply have to play with an edge.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
Well back on topic....

Jannik Hansen and Bo horvat are my picks and like another poster said I hope they play on the third line together. Or Booth Horvat and Kassian could be a deadly combination. Size speed and Grit!

I have a feeling Booth will be our 2nd line center at some point this season when Kesler gets injured.

Just noway Kesler stays healthy a full season with his playing style. Although it is an Olympic year and we all know how he plays in Olympic years!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad