Prospect Info: Who are your Top 5 Protected Prospects and why?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is not purely about who is the best. Which five prospects involvement generally make you cringe in trade discussions? Who do you want protected?

My List:

1.) Calle Järnkrok - A future top 6 center, importantly a guy that shoots right and is an outstanding PP QB guy. We have needed a righthanded center for a little while now. Has improved on his faceoffs and all zone play from what I have seen this year. Still putting up impressive numbers on a team that is struggling while carrying an injury from what it appears as he has been held out of the last two EHTs over the course of the last couple of months.

2.) Petr Mrazek - I was flamed pretty hard for putting him in this kind of thread before his WJC performance. His place a year and change later is almost always in the top 5. The kid has an it factor and is enjoying an outstanding transition to the professional ranks. He has a star quality and could make things uncomfortable for Howard in the near future. He is a future number 1, could be the Czech's number 1 goalie in the 2018 Olympics, I think he will pass Pavelec.

3.) Xavier Ouellet - Almost already NHL ready. A coaches best friend, rarely makes mistakes and has great leadership qualities. I don't see him getting the kind of seasoning we are getting used to with prospects. A rock solid two way defenseman reminds me of Vlasic out in San Jose.

4.) Ryan Sproul - So many gifts. Has huge upside and is already realizing a lot of it on offense. Will have a top 10 shot in the NHL as far as D-man on whatever day he shows up. A gifted skater that is filling out nicely. He has the same amount of points that the much hyped Dougie Hamilton had in the OHL in the same number of games and with 14 goals instead of 8. An absolute force on the powerplay but shows a great understanding on when to jump into the play and for a guy of his size has really outstanding explosion in his skating and is very fast. The defense has a ways to go, but any trade involving him I think we will regret big time. Likely will lead the OHL in D-man scoring this year when all is said and done. Also that big shot is right handed.

5.) Riley Sheahan - The offense is coming in nicely at the pro level. Great positionally and plays a very mature game. A big body that could stand to be a little more physical, but rarely if ever loses a board battle and is great at sheilding the puck and making plays. A sneaky good wrist shot and a special teams monster on both PP and in particular the PK so far. A player that can move up and down the lineup and reminds me a lot of Jarret Stoll. Pretty good on draws and skates boarderline elite for a guy his size.

The Wings have a lot of depth on the wing. So while it would pain me to see a Nyquist or Tatar leave, as long as they both don't go the same deal I will be okay with it. In fact somewhere in that protection process pretty high up for me is the 2013 first round pick don't want to see that go anywhere. I don't think it's panic time yet, but if a deal should come we should be attempting to ship wingers especially with Ferraro developing into a nice NHL winger option. It makes Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Frk, Pulkkinen and Jurco expendable in the right package. I protect the five players listed above before anyone else. I probably put the 2013 draft pick at 4 assuming we make the playoffs because it is a very deep draft, but wanted this more to be about the prospects we already own rights to. Thoughts?

RedWingsNow*

1. Sheahan - Big center with some size and skill potential.
2. Jarnkrok - Skilled center.
3. Ouellet -- All around defenseman
4. Sproul -- Potential howitzer on the point
5. Mrazek - Best goalie in the system

HM: Tatar, Nyquist, Ferrar and Marchenko

Thats My Hat

Jan 27, 2012
London, Ontario
I'm not an expert on the Wings' prospects, but from what I've read and understand, these are the prospects I'm the most excited about, and want to see play for the Wings in the future.

1. Ouellet - probably one of our best defenseman in the system along with Sproul
2. Mrazek - Best goalie in the system, has the potential to replace Jimmy Howard, also imagine a tandem of Mrazek and Howard. If Mrazek reaches his potential, we can have two starting goalies on the team (assuming we keep both Howard and Mrazek).
3. Jarnkrok - center with a lot of skill and great skating, I really wanted to see him be in GR this year
4. Sproul - See Ouellet
5. Jurco - Great puck handler, great hands, I'm excited to see the kid play once he gets accustomed to the AHL, and hopefully the NHL

And of course there's Nyquist and Tatar, but I don't see either of them as prospects anymore. They're ready to make the jump to the NHL, but the team all ready has too many forwards as it is.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
1. Järnkrok - When Zetterberg retires, Järnkrok will "be him"
2. Ouellet - Best overall Dman in the system
3. Sproul - Who's to say he can't be the next shea weber?
4. Bäckman - He just seem so solid overall
5. Sheahan - Big, Canadian, Center, Good defensively.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
1/2 - Ouellet, Sproul - Usually Ouellet is ranked higher than Sproul but I can't decide who to put higher. I won't trade either of them unless we are getting super star back.

3 - Mrazek - If we sign Howard long term than maybe he will move down a bit but until then he stays here.

4/5 - Jarnkrok, Sheahan - Our future centers. I view centers higher than wingers, which is why Nyquist and Tatar is lower than the two mentioned.

6 - 2013 1st rounder - Supposedly one of the deepest draft.

This is why I don't mind including Nyquist/Tatar in a package if we can get a proven(but not old) top 6 winger/top 4 player back.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Goalies are overrated, just look what Anderson can do in Ottawa, guy was signed for under 1M before his current deal, there are guys like that every free agency.

Mrazek is redundant

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
If we're talking about "untouchables", then nobody.

If we're talking about which 5 guys I'd like for them to hang onto above all others, it'd be:

Jarnkrok (upside)
Jurco (I doubt anyone will ask for him anyway, but he's young and a first year pro - I still like the upside)
Sproul (upside)
Mrazek (meh, but they'd have absolutely nobody in the pipeline if they dealt him)
Ouellet (upside)

I still don't buy Tinky Winky, although he's closer to making my list than I thought he'd ever be. Making progress. Tatar and Nyquist are both small skilled players - that's nice and all, but they don't have the look of elite scorers to me. I'd move them for the right return without too much hesitation. There's no room for them anyway.

Otherwise there's not a lot to get excited about. A lot of boom or busters that are at 90%+ probability to bust. Backman and Marchenko will have to put in some AHL time before we'll really know how they are as NHL prospects.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
1) Nyquist
2) Tatar
3) Ouellet
4) Jarnkrok
5) Jurco

I want to see at least 1-2 seasons by each of these guys before we "trade any"
I honestly think trading ANY of our prospects is a bad idea considering our current trend.

Chevrier

Mar 4, 2011
Toronto
Calle Jarnkrok - I think he's already all but guaranteed to have a decent NHL at worse, at best he'll slowly move up the lines and be a core player in some years time. I'm not anticipating a meteoric rise but a slow steady one. Love his attributes and game based on the limited viewings and extensive reads I've managed to check out.

Riley Sheahan - He already plays such a good two way game, defensively responsible and is now showing some offensive flair that everyone has always hoped he would have gotten more of a chance to show earlier with ND. I've always read the offense was there, but I remember in limited viewings that ND's systems were so defensive. Would love to see a bit more of a mean streak, but I think his overall game is coming along so nicely that I'm content with what he is so far, more of a smart aggressive two way center with size that we really haven't had in some time. I see a slow steady rise, has all the tools.

Xavier Ouellet - So much poise and calmness. Another favorite prospect of mine, I've actually managed to catch enough viewings of him and have read nothing but gushing reports on him even before the Wings drafted him. I always make an effort to catch him play if Armada or formerly Montreal was playing. He lacks wow factor, but is extremely economical in his movements and shows great poise on both sides of the puck. I think he'll be a good to solid great NHL defender at worse.

Petr Mrazek - I was thrilled when the Wings managed to pick him up. The WJC he stole the show at was a small sample, understandably, but he played better than his numbers posted with my hometown 67s. Love the flair and I'm thrilled that he has been able to step in so readily with the Griffs. He has really really solidified their defensive woes of years past and the results are showing, the team shows more faith in their goaltender to bail them out and potentially steal game. He's having a good effect on McCollum as well, although the GRG team is better looking and better coached now than in previous seasons. Wouldn't worry about rushing him as development can be a little unpredictable, but he may force Holland's hand (hah) and come knocking a lot sooner than later.

Joakim Andersson - Maybe a long shot and bit off the books, but I've liked Andersson since his WJCs with Sweden some time back. I don't expect him to really be a top 6, but more of a tweener, top 9 center with size again. Similar to Andersson, is steadily coming along year by year and showing more and more confidence. I'd hate to see him moved as he is paying his dues and has already shown an ability to step in solidly. The kind of bottom 6er that does the small things right.

Sproul & Jurco seem nice but I haven't seen too much of them yet to really justify my own personal top 5, although the potential is certainly there. I need to see more of Backman, Marchenko could very well surprise too. Nyquist would be my top pick, but him along with Smith and Tatar already have NHL impact potential, it's just a matter of time hopefully.

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Bäckman is a guy who I would simply hate to lose, because the return for him compared to how good he actually is would not be even close to enough. The Wings need to hold tight with him and not put him in package deals. And based on how much H.Andersson seems to like him, I really don't see the Wings trading him.

Järnkrok is untouchable because of the lack of top end skilled center prospects.

Here's my list. The first three I would not trade but after that Jurco and Sheahan quite close. Nyquist and Smith aren't prospects for me anymore.
1. Järnkrok
2. Ouellet
3. Bäckman
-----
4. Jurco
5. Sheahan

I see many have listed Sproul, Mrazek and Tatar, so here's why I don't have them in my list. First of all, I like all three (and really there aren't many Wings prospects that I don't like). In the case of Mrazek, goalies are such a question mark that anything can happen so it's hard to compare him to the skaters. Sproul is great offensively but can really struggle in his own end so right now it's hard to picture him as a top NHL d-man. Tatar is good and I think he should already be in the NHL but for some reason I would not hesitate to include him in a trade. I'm not sure if he can be a top-6 forward.

Last edited:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
1. Calle Jarnkrok - Potential top line pivot, more likely to be a good/very good 2nd line center, has drawn comparisons to Zetterberg. He also has apparently been playing with a nagging wrist injury & is still producing in the SEL even after Silfverberg left him. Should find his way to NA next year & will have a shot to make the wings out of training camp.

2. Xavier Ouellet - Had a coming out party this year at the WJC. Was arguable Canada's 2nd best dman even with his ankle injury. His numbers are slightly down this year but is still around a P/G & he is still the premier dman in the Q. He has great leadership abilities as he has worn the C the past 2 years in Blainville-Boisbriand, is a jack of all trades master of none could become a #2 dman.

3. Tomas Tatar - Has really shored up his overall game the past year or so & is now capable of playing any role the wings need. Is showing he can still produce offensively while being responsibly defensively, he's top 15 in AHL scoring this year. He may never get to be a superstar but he will be a main complimentary piece on any contending team.

4. Ryan Sproul - I'd have him up at #1/2 if it wasn't for the fact he's the biggest boom or bust go we have in our pool. He has a rocket of a shot, great offensive instincts, a long reach & he's right handed to boot. He still has work to do defensively, he could also use his 6'4 frame a little more. He has a chance to be the next Mike Green if he makes it or if he busts a more mobile Kurtis Foster. He'll probably spend the next 2-3 years working on his defence & physicality in Grand Rapids while QB the PP.

5. Petr Mrazek - Stole the starting goalie job from McCollum & he hasn't looked back since. He was recently named to the AHL West All-Star team, and has been the best rookie goalie in the AHL this year. He may still need another 2-3 years of seasoning but when he gets the call he should be something special. That and looking at the goalie market it's better to have 2 number 1 goalies then none at all.

HM:

Sheahan - I'd like to see him produce over a full season before I move him into the top 5, though his past 20 or so games are very promising

Backman/Marchenko - While both are doing very well in their respective leagues I'd lie to see how they produce in the AHL/ECHL before moving them into the "untouchable" realm.

Side note: How good is that 2011 draft looking now? Four or Five defenceman who could end up being in the NHL in some role, 2 of them have top 4 upside while the other 2 could potentially be top pairing guys. Pretty good job by Holland & Co. to do all of that without a first.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Goalies are overrated, just look what Anderson can do in Ottawa, guy was signed for under 1M before his current deal, there are guys like that every free agency.

Mrazek is redundant

I'm not sure I agree. I agree that you can get cheap and adequate goaltending, and put your money into sheltering it......but if that cheap adequate goaltender is a young stud on a entry level deal....I think I'd rank him highly on this list.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

Mrazek is redundant

Tell that to Leafs!

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
1. Calle Jarnkrok: our lone top notch prospect at forward. Jurco isn't a sure fire top 6 guy at this point. Neither is Riley Sheahan. Given the complete lack of competition we cannot let our lone top 6 guy go unless he brings in a bonafide top 6 guy in the prime of his career (so no Calle for Jaromir Jagr trade Holland :rant: ).

2. Ryan Sproul: he seems like a safe bet to be a highly skilled top 4 d-man and as we all know we have little in the way of proven two-way d-men right now. The Blues are putting up the most amount of points from d-men and the only chance we have to get back up there is by acquiring a guy like Lubomir Visnovsky and/or holding onto our top flight offensive d-men prospects.

3. Mattias Backman: this one came down to Xavier Ouellet or Backman and I just like the fact Backman is getting it done in one of the best leagues in the world. He's one of the leading scorers among d-men in the SEL and with one more season overseas he could be an awesome combo of scoring and shutdown defense.

4. Petr Mrazek: for the first time in recorded history the Red Wings have some depth in net. Howard is due for a new contract and I don't think we'll have any problem inking him to a new deal. Mrazek appears to be a top notch goalie and could eventually replace Howard. At any rate it is far too early to let him be traded out of the organization.

5. Riley Sheahan: Sheahan is starting to show some offensive touch. That alone gives you reason to hold onto him to see if he can become a legit top 6 scorer. Even if he doesn't he has the size and skating to be a fixture in the DRW lineup for a long time. We simply do not draft guys with his size and he isn't anywhere close to hitting his ceiling. With that being the case I would not want to see him traded.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm going to go with our most productive propsect, the guy who has been a ppg or better player at every level he has played at... and say I would cringe at Nyquist getting traded more than anybody you guys are talking about.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If we're talking about "untouchables", then nobody.

If we're talking about which 5 guys I'd like for them to hang onto above all others, it'd be:

Jarnkrok (upside)
Jurco (I doubt anyone will ask for him anyway, but he's young and a first year pro - I still like the upside)
Sproul (upside)
Mrazek (meh, but they'd have absolutely nobody in the pipeline if they dealt him)
Ouellet (upside)

I still don't buy Tinky Winky, although he's closer to making my list than I thought he'd ever be. Making progress. Tatar and Nyquist are both small skilled players - that's nice and all, but they don't have the look of elite scorers to me. I'd move them for the right return without too much hesitation. There's no room for them anyway.

Otherwise there's not a lot to get excited about. A lot of boom or busters that are at 90%+ probability to bust. Backman and Marchenko will have to put in some AHL time before we'll really know how they are as NHL prospects.

Nyquist doesn't make your list because he is a "small skilled guy"... but you're #1 untradeable guy is Jarnkrok.

They are both 5'11, with a similar build, and will be about the same weight at their physical prime.

A bit contradicting here...

And Nyquist does not look like an elite scorer to you? Might want to check his stats out when you get a second.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I'm going to go with our most productive propsect, the guy who has been a ppg or better player at every level he has played at... and say I would cringe at Nyquist getting traded more than anybody you guys are talking about.
I think Nyquist isn't considered a prospect anymore, at least by RWC and some other places as well. He should be in the NHL right now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Nyquist isn't considered a prospect anymore, at least by RWC and some other places as well. He should be in the NHL right now.

If that's part of people's reasoning then I perfectly understand. Was a little confused because I kept saying him as "honorable mentions", figured he would just not be listed if people didn't consider him a prospect.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Nyquist doesn't make your list because he is a "small skilled guy"... but you're #1 untradeable guy is Jarnkrok.

They are both 5'11, with a similar build, and will be about the same weight at their physical prime.

A bit contradicting here...

And Nyquist does not look like an elite scorer to you? Might want to check his stats out when you get a second.

For one thing, he's not really a prospect anymore. For another, his AHL production is good but not great. Hudler put up 97 points in his age 22 season, for instance. He looks like he will be a solid but unspectacular player at the NHL level. I favor Jarnkrok because there's a chance he could be a spectacular player.

I really have no idea, but I tend to lean toward the players with higher upside.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
For one thing, he's not really a prospect anymore. For another, his AHL production is good but not great. Hudler put up 97 points in his age 22 season, for instance. He looks like he will be a solid but unspectacular player at the NHL level. I favor Jarnkrok because there's a chance he could be a spectacular player.

I really have no idea, but I tend to lean toward the players with higher upside.

That's true but look at the overall point leaders this year. There are only 2 guys taht were producing an unreal amount of points more than anyone else & it's Jordan Eberle, and Justin Schultz. Everyone else is just slightly above or below a point per game. I'm also not sure about this but I think scoring is down this year in the AHL. The Griffins are 3rd in goals/game with 3.36 goals per game, the top team is averaging only 3.40 goals/game.

The year Hudler had 97 points the Griffins averaged 4.03 goals/game, the highest in goal/game average in the league. Over an 80 game season that equates to a 54 goal difference in favor of the 05-06 Griffins, lets say that the 2012-2013 Griffins played at the same pace. This season Nyquist is in on around 30% of all griffin goals. Assuming he keeps that pass in an 80 game season that would give Nyquist an extra 16 points which would give him 96 points in 80 games, nearly identical to Hudler's production.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Mrazek is redundant

:laugh:

Yea, there is an Anderson out there every summer :sarcasm:

:facepalm:

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
1. Jarnkrok - Skilled, two way center with a good work ethic (on and off the ice).
2. Sproul - Best offensive d-man in juniors, bar none. If he can clean up his defensive game (and I see no reason why he won't) he will be a top pairing, norris trophy candidate type of defenseman. Easily the best combination of physical attributes in the system (plus skating, size, shooting, vision, etc.).
3. Ouellet - Not flashy but solid. He will hopefully be a pillar on the Wing's D very soon.
4. Backman - If Hakan Andersson says he sees a lot of similarities in him and Edler, I'll hang onto him.
5. Sheahan - Big, skilled, very responsible (on the ice)...at the very least I see him being a solid third line anchor, with his upside being a Jordan Staal type of player.

HM: Mrazek, Marchenko, Jurco, Frk, Ferraro...

**I don't consider Nyquist or Tatar to be prospects anymore as both are NHL ready...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad